FIFA: 2014 WC in Canada?

Daniel

A tiny blurb in La Presse made me spit out my milk:

"FIFA president Sepp Blatter has threatened to take away the 2014 WC from Brazil and award it to CONCACAF, more specifically, Canada."

I know this is some weird info (especially since Brazil hasn't won it yet), but it's still notable. Anyone have a link with more?

The question is why would it be in Canada over the US? I don't see any realistic answer.

96 to 14 = 20 years so it's enough time. From a publicity stand point, general American mass media (like CNN) will not pay attention if it's in Canada. But it will be the number 1 story if it is in the US.

The only small hope is if the powers that be think the US is not a wise choice politically, so with Canada they get some of the US-attention, without being in the US. Although, the rest of the world seems to thinks Canada is where the nice frozen Americans live. This ain't enough to overcome the US$.

Plus, if they really wanted US-attention without having it in the US, they should have it in Mexico. The top story will be, "Why are all the Mexicans going back to Mexico?". And thus soccer will become the favourite sport of FOX News. Until they realize they have nobody to do any of the work so then they will want to keep them all.

Ah quiet, the voices in my head thought it was funny.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Olympic, Skydome, BC Place, Commonwealth......

All could host events..... now we just need a 50,000 seat stadium for St Johns, Winnipeg, Nunavut and Red Deer

Germany had 12 venues... you named 4. I wonder what the fewest venues ever to hold a World Cup was?

Either way I am highly skeptical Canada has the venues to host by 2014. Here's hoping, though!

quote:Originally posted by Elias

The question is why would it be in Canada over the US? I don't see any realistic answer.

I'm not arguing that it will be in Canada, or that there aren't other NA countries that could host. All I'm arguing is that the idea of canada hosting the WC isn't a joke. Canada could easily host a WC. I would argue that, outside of Europe and the United States, Canada is the country best positioned to host the event.

We have experience hosting major events (Three Olympics by the time the WC would come around, plus many other world sporting championships). We would need to upgrade the stadiums but what host doesn't?

If Halifax wins the CWG bid (and chances are they will) they will have to build a stadium for 2014. Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver already have big stadiums in place (again, you would need to expand some, but, again, EVERY country that hosts a WC has to renovate, expand or build new stadiums. I haven't even talked about BMO or the Montreal/Vancouver SSS. Does every group game need to be in a 50,000k barn?

If you need more than the 10 stadiums I've listed above there are a tonne of 10-20k stadiums that are out there that some money could be thrown at.

It would be a huge success. Corporate Canada, who is reluctant to support sport unless its part of a big ticket like the WC, would eat it up. It's an infrastructure project the feds would likely all agree on (except the Dippers. The Dippers are against everything).

And, to me, the 2007 WYC and the (likely) 2011 WWC are steps one and two in a three step plan to get the WC here. 2014 is being held in Brazil, but 2022...

Hopefully we will qualify on our own by then ('cause the play of the MNT is the wet blanket on all of this...of course Korea wasn't exactly a world-beater prior to 2002).

For Canada to host we would probably have to use most of the CFL stadiums and refurbish them all for soccer. Im sure if Canada was a serious contender that would happen. Heres a list of all the possible stadiums that would be involved, then you decide if its worthwhile,(Capacaties from worldstadiums.com)

B.C. place - 59 841

Commonwealth - 60 217

McMahon - 37 317

Mosaic Stadium - 27 332

Canad Inns Stadium - 29 503

Rogers Centre - 53 000

Ivor Wynne - 29 183

Frank Clair - 28 826

BMO Field - 25 000 ? with additional seats

Olympic - 65 255

Lets be realistic if we had a chance of hosting in 2014 this is what would happen. Thats ten stadiums with pretty good capacities, if the government was serious we could throw some cash at each one and Id think we would have a pretty decent world cup.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

And, to me, the 2007 WYC and the (likely) 2011 WWC are steps one and two in a three step plan to get the WC here. 2014 is being held in Brazil, but 2022...

What is the consensus on 2018? 2002 (Asia), 2006 (Europe), 2010 (Africa), 2014 (Brazil??), 2018 (Canada? or who else, New Zealand?)

quote:Originally posted by Alex

What is the consensus on 2018? 2002 (Asia), 2006 (Europe), 2010 (Africa), 2014 (Brazil??), 2018 (Canada? or who else, New Zealand?)

2018 should be NA's turn, but I suspect there will be pressure to put it in Europe. That's why I suspect Canada's best chance would be 2022.

To expand on your point about CFL stadiums. Five of the nine (I'm including Ottawa) are designed to easily allow for expansion for major events. Those are: Calgary (36,000 to 60,000), Regina (29,000 to 58,000), Winnipeg (30,000 to 50,000), Hamilton (30,000 to 43,000) and Ottawa (28,000 to 52,000).

They are talking about building a 30,000ish stadium in Halifax that will be expanded to about 50,000 for the CWG. There is the CWG stadium in Victoria too, which was drastically decreased in size following the games. I'm not sure if it could be increased back easily or not.

As a comparison, Germany used 12 stadiums, six of which had more than 50,000 seats. Using the expanded numbers, Canada has eight stadiums that could hold more than 50,000 people (Four of which could be used with little or no renovations).

Tell me again (anyone) why Canada doesn't have the infrastructure to pull it off?

But it's not about stadiums or infrastructure. Obviously Canada can handle the tournament. In terms of stadiums, the gov't will have to find the cash, which I'm sure they will.

The issue is how does FIFA benefit? How does global soccer benefit? How do the corporate sponsors that pay for all this benefit? Meaning how do they benefit by choosing Canada over the US. I just don't see how anybody besides Canada benefits.

Now if we could bribe Jack Warner and get him on our side and bribe the right people...

Today on Sports 590 the Under 20 World Cup Organzers stated they have sold 30% of all tickets available. Also the world governing board of FIFA will meet in Toronto at the same time. I can see if over 70% of all tickets all sold out for the event that alot of countries will put pressure to move up Canada chances.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

The issue is how does FIFA benefit? How does global soccer benefit? How do the corporate sponsors that pay for all this benefit? Meaning how do they benefit by choosing Canada over the US. I just don't see how anybody besides Canada benefits.

How does FIFA benefit from the tournament being held in South Africa? Where is the benefit of it being in Brazil? Wherever the World Cup is held, it will attract dollars, and revenue, and interest. It is the WORLD CUP. If it was held in Greenland, people would go, and it would be a success.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

For Canada to host we would probably have to use most of the CFL stadiums and refurbish them all for soccer. Im sure if Canada was a serious contender that would happen. Heres a list of all the possible stadiums that would be involved, then you decide if its worthwhile,(Capacaties from worldstadiums.com)

B.C. place - 59 841

Commonwealth - 60 217

McMahon - 37 317

Mosaic Stadium - 27 332

Canad Inns Stadium - 29 503

Rogers Centre - 53 000

Ivor Wynne - 29 183

Frank Clair - 28 826

BMO Field - 25 000 ? with additional seats

Olympic - 65 255

Lets be realistic if we had a chance of hosting in 2014 this is what would happen. Thats ten stadiums with pretty good capacities, if the government was serious we could throw some cash at each one and Id think we would have a pretty decent world cup.

A lot of those stadiums are old dumps already, I hope they're not still being used in 12 years, that would be embarrassing.

A WC is going to take some brand new stadiums with lots of nice coporate boxes.

Corporate boxes are irrelevent and unneeded for WC stadiums, they're strictly a league-based enterprise.

With proper expansion, adapting and refurbing, I'd probably only expect 6 of those stadiums to be able to properly host the WC:

BC Place

Commonwealth

SkyDome

BMO

Frank Clair

Olympic Stadium

quote:Originally posted by River City

I believe it's already been decided that Europe will get the WC every 3rd time. 2010 South Africa, 2014 Brasil, 2018 - most likely England, 2022 and 2026 will be between N. America and Australia.

Australia...now that would be a party!

If I were a betting man:

2010--S. Africa

2014--Brazil

2018--England

2022--Canada

2024--Australia

2028--Spain

2032--China

2036--Argentina

2040--Russia

2044--USA

2048--Back in Africa, probably in the north

2052--We'll all be dead--Global warming.

The list is pretty much useless after 2022 or so, but fun none-the-less.....

Archived