FIFA eligibility

hottoddy7

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

So players are eligible to play for countries where they hold citizenship or for the coutries of their parents, correct? Is that as far as it goes or does it extend to the nationality of grandparents etc?

I think they can play for whoever they want, as long as they are a citizen. So, if I am 1/4 of a nationality, but I cannot get citizenship of that country, then I guess I can't play for them.

Most countries will allow citizenship to be passed down three generations (1/4). So I think it depends on the country.

Otherwise, one can play for a country as a naturalized citizen.

Could be wrong but as I remember it...

Citizenship isn't enough. A residency requirment is written into the FIFA rules as well. The Citizenship rule as it relates to residency applies only to players who otherwise fall outside of that rubbish "heritage eligibility".

So as an example, because Marc Bircham's grandfather was born in Winnipeg before immigrating back to England with his family Marc Bircham is eligable to play for Canada, citizenship or no.

But if Marc Bircham wasn't "cap tied to Canada" and became a citizen of Singapore (strictly for tax purposes) he would only be eligable to play for Singapore if he also filled FIFA's residency requirment.

Which is 2 years I believe? Maybe 3? Meaning he'd have to live in Singapore for 2 (or is it 3) years after getting his citizenship in order to meet FIFA's rules for eligability.

This last rule was put in place when Qatar started handng citizenship left and right to Brazilian second-choice players.

Not sure if citizenship is a requirement though, simply that one of the grandparents were citizen. Did Bircham get citizenship?

Archived