Blatter: Leagues should start in Feb

Raven

quote:FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) -- Domestic leagues in European soccer should play through the summer months, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said in an interview published Monday.

The season should begin in late February and finish at the end of November, Blatter told Germany's Kicker magazine.

The change would give clubs a longer winter break that could be used for national team games, Blatter said.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20061204_104315_5160

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

And women should wear tighter uniforms. And games should be divided into four quarters. And the World Cup should be held every two years.

You can forget about this getting anywhere.

I don't like Sepp Blatter. This idea however, isn't terrible. That being said, there really is no need at this point to change things that are working extremely well.

I know there was discussion of Scotland going to a summer season a few years ago, but those ideas were quashed. In places like Scotland, and parts of northern England, it would be such a terrible idea, but I can imagine Rome in the summer being a pretty tough place to play.

I don't see it happening.

I don't know, after having had the winter football season for so long it would be pretty dramatic culture shock to change over to a summer schedule. It's not like we're talking about tweeking the start and finish dates of the season (like they seem to constantly do in Scotland), we're talking about shifting the whole of the season into new territory. Family holiday time! Ho, boy. Mum'll like that.

Just more Blatter blah, blah, blahing. Thrashing about mindlessly STILL trying to find a solution to fixture congestion.

This would actually be a good idea from a sports perspective for most northern European countries. I have often wondered while freezing my ass off watching a game in December or January in Germany why they didn't play during the not exactly tropical German summer instead of playing in minus 10 temperatures. I think it has mostly to do with many Europeans having long summer vacations of about 6 weeks in duration. Thus it is not a tradition to work at that time whether an athlete or not and there might be fears that attendance would be reduced (though I doubt summer holidays would reduce attendance more than cold temperatures currently do).

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

[i have often wondered while freezing my ass off watching a game in December or January in Germany why they didn't play during the not exactly tropical German summer instead of playing in minus 10 temperatures. I think it has mostly to do with many Europeans having long summer vacations of about 6 weeks in duration. ...

I was once told by a possibly not unbiased football fan that it was because of the upper class monopoly on summer dates for cricket. Football had to be fitted into the part of the year when it was too wet and cold to play cricket. Since the first games seem to have been played by cricketers, they probably did it after the cricket season ended. Of course they were also members of the upper classes (Harrow students).

I guess the rest of Europe just followed England's lead.

quote:Originally posted by marvin mellobell

I was once told by a possibly not unbiased football fan that it was because of the upper class monopoly on summer dates for cricket. Football had to be fitted into the part of the year when it was too wet and cold to play cricket. Since the first games seem to have been played by cricketers, they probably did it after the cricket season ended. Of course they were also members of the upper classes (Harrow students).

I guess the rest of Europe just followed England's lead.

It happened this way for a reason, whether or not it was a good one may not be known. The fact is that to force a league to play at a different time would be nuts.

How would winter leagues make the transition? And if I'm not mistaken, many leagues, especially in Scandinavia, and also the Russian league currently play in the winter. And that's their prerogative.

Don't force'em Sepp.

I assume you meant to say that Russian and Scandanavian leagues are summer leagues RJB. Being a fan of both the Russian and German leagues, the Russian season has always made more sense to me. There isn't a huge break halfway through the season and it seems much more continuous. It also seems much more natural and enjoyable to go watch a soccer game on a beautiful July day than on a cold day in December. There were so many beautiful summer days when I was living in Germany that I thought would be perfect to go watch a game but the season was over. There is no better example of the ridiculousness of the situation than that my memory of watching soccer games in moderately cold Germany is one of freezing and shivering while in Russia it is of watching the game on a warm summer day. I can understand countries like Greece not wanting their teams to play in sweltering summer temperatures but for the majority of European countries a summer league would make more sense.

Marvin's hypothesis about cricket may be true for England but I find it a bit of a stretch to think that the Continent would just follow England's lead.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Marvin's hypothesis about cricket may be true for England but I find it a bit of a stretch to think that the Continent would just follow England's lead.

Not a total stretch, they all learned the game from England, and to play England internationally they would have to play a winter season. And the late 19th century was the peak of English power and prestige.

Archived