Canucks in Germany - December 2006

Guest Ed

Not a good weekend for most Canucks in Germany.

First off, after a good start the wheels are coming off the Cottbus as they had a horrific November after their very promising start drawing Werder Bremen. Saturday another loss, 1-0 to Hannover 96 with Kevin McKenna going 90 minutes. The loss dropped the club to 13th place, just one point ahead of a resurgent VfL Bochum.

VfL Bochum added to the misery of Hamburger SV with a 2-1 come from behind win away from home. Daniel Imhof was not in the squad.

In the Bundesliga 2, Josh Simpson stayed on the bench as FC Kaiserslautern won away 1-0 over Eintracht Braunschweig. The win puts FC Kaiserslautern into the 3rd and final promotion spot as the winter break looms with MSV Duisburg likely to reclaim that spot on goal difference today.

Meanwhile, 1860 Muenchen had a demoralizing 5-1 loss to cross-town rivals SpVgg Unterhaching dropping them 4 pts off the pace for 3rd place.

In the Regional League South, Nik Ledgerwood continues his comeback playing 67 minutes on Saturday with 1860 Muenchen amateurs who lost 1-0 to SV Elversberg. Kent O'Connor stayed on the bench.

In the Regional League North, Jonathan Bourgault did not make the field in FC St. Pauli's 2-0 win over SC Magdeburg. Meanwhile, Blerim Rrustemi plays the entire game as Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs draw with 2nd place Fortuna Dusseldorf.

Some notes from the lower leagues:

No sign of Maycoll Canizales with FC Oberneuland this weekend. Victor Oppong is lost to SV Waldhof Mannheim for at least the rest of this year. Robert Kerek is now starting regularily for SC Bahlingen in the 4th div.

No Cdn content but a massive game this week as Werder Bremen could knock the defending champions out of the Champions League as they need at least a draw in Barcelona to advance to the knockout round.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

No Cdn content but a massive game this week as Werder Bremen could knock the defending champions out of the Champions League as they need at least a draw in Barcelona to advance to the knockout round.

Will be dressing for that one tomorrow as part of the 12th man.

From a great and loyal FC Kaiserslautern contact in GErmany

Bochum - HSV 2:1

Hamburg started with a lot of pressure into the game and had 2 big chances to score in the first 5 minutes. But with the first nambale attack Bochum took te lead after 5 minutes. That lead played at cards fo Bochum which now could break in their own arena. Hamburg had more possesions, but it 6 minutes left to play in the first half they scored the equalizer. Second half, same image. It should change in minute 70 as Bosnian International Mismovic curled a free kick in th corner. That gave Bochum inportant three points, Hamburg lost Dutch International Rafael Van der Vaart with a direct red card after a bad foul.

Cottbus - Hannover 0:1

In the month of November Cottbus only eke out 2 points. After the good start into the season they landed where they did not to be that early, in the fight of relegation. Coach Sander said, it was the weakes first half since I´m responsible for the team. The gamewinnig goal scored US-American Steven Cherundolo, he was one step earlier than Kevin and headed in, minute 19. A header of striker Kioyo was the only answer in the first half. In the second half Cottbus was more aggressiv, but chances were rare. Hannover controlled the game and had bad luck with one shot on the post. So Energie needs to get back the 3 points next week, when they travel to Bayern.:-)

Braunschweig - FCK 0:1

Fortunatelly I only know the result of the game. It might have been a typicall Kaiserslautern game. Only one striker 6 defense players. For me this is the most boring soccer I´ve ever seen. But the success proves right. This is one of Josh´s problem he has. I tried to catch him Friday, but they had a general assembly, so they had their session ealier. I will catch it up this week and let you then know.

Some good news of Nils Ledgerwood. He had his first appearence this season in the second team of 1860. He played 70 minutes, so hopefully he come back after christmas.

Thanks for the update. That was Nik's second appearance in his comeback. He got the 1st half a week ago with the amateurs, and then close to 70 minutes this past weekend as they get him back to game shape. Finally healthy after almost a year out, Nik L. will likely be making an appearance with the first team prior to the Christmas break. After they were embarassed 5-1 on the weekend, Schachner will be looking for a shake-up. When you start hearing they are playing without heart, a healthy Nik is a sure bet to be called up.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Will be dressing for that one tomorrow as part of the 12th man.

Early 2-0 lead. Looking good for your team Jeffrey.

Ah Bremen goes out due to a good home effort from Barcelona. That late tying goal by Messi in the Bremen home game against Barca turns out to be the difference.

On another non-Cdn note, but in the 'know your enemy' category, U.S. international striker Josh Wolff just signed a 2 year deal with 1860 Muenchen. Nik will be starting with the amateurs Saturday in the last Regional League South game of the first half of the season, but is training with the pros and expects to fight for a spot over the next couple of weeks.

Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus have a tough task as they try to shake off a bad November. Saturday sees Kapitan Kev and company away to powerhouse Bayern Munich with Big Kev anchoring the defense. Bayern are surpisingly in 3rd place while Cottbus have slid back towards relegation territory, right now sitting in 13th place, just 2 points and a better goal difference away from the last relegation spot, 16th place.

Also on Saturday in the Bundesliga 1, Daniel Imhof is expected to be on the bench as VfL Bochum are away to VfB Stuttgart. Bochum sit in 15th, a point behind Energie Cottbus.

In the Bundesliga 2, Josh Simpson was expected to be on the bench as FC Kaiserslautern managed only a 0-0 draw with visiting FC Carl Zeiss Jena today. FC Kaiserslautern again move into 3rd place overall but could be leapfrogged by MSV Duisburg on Sunday.

On Sunday, 1860 Muenchen pros are away to league leaders Hansa Rostock.

In the Regional League North, FC St. Pauli host Wuppertaler SV Borussia today. Update coming later on whether Jonathan Bourgault was in action.

On Saturday, Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs are home to RW Erfurt with Blerim Rrustemi expected to start.

In the Regional League South, 1860 Muenchen amateurs are home to VfR Aalen on Saturday with Nik Ledgerwood slated to start and with Kent O'Connor likely on the bench initially.

As the senior team is away in eastern Germany for a Sunday match, target next weekend for Nik's likely attempt to comeback with the senior team.

An interesting Oberliga Nord matchup coming on Sunday as Maycoll Canizales and FC Oberneuland could grab the outright lead with a win over first place VfL Wolfburg's amateurs. Also on Sunday in the Oberliga Nord, expect Jonathan Bourgault to start against hosts Altona 93.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Ah Bremen goes out due to a good home effort from Barcelona. That late tying goal by Messi in the Bremen home game against Barca turns out to be the difference.

Interesting Bremen, who showed some real talent, though I think the best on the day was Diego. The right back holding Ronaldinho did very well in the 2nd half, think that was Fritz?

Barça just played marvellously well in the first half, we could have scored another and put it away, but I assure you that fans were nervous in the 2nd half, one Bremen goal would have had us suffering, as every long ball or free kick into their big men would have been scary for us.

I happened to be sitting in the 2nd tier right above the goal Barça attacked 1st half, the Ronaldinho goal was a work of genious, even though Mertesacker came out saying that he had "jumped like an amateur". He said that given he almost measured 2 metres, all he had to do was stretch up on his toes and he would have taken away most of the options for the post the wall was covering. In any case, a great goal, and that amazing AP photo of the Bremen players leaping up and looking down bewildered at the ball running under their feet was one of the best sports shots I have seen in a long while.

No upsets in the Bundesliga 1 this past weekend. Cottbus go down 2-1 to Bayern, and have no easy end to the first half, home to VfB Stuttgart this weekend. Bochum lose to the aforementioned Stuttgart Saturday as well.

Josh Simpson stays on the bench in FC Kaiserslautern's scoreless draw against FC Carl Zeiss Jena. Coach Wolfgang Wolf is quoted today as saying the clug will look to strengthen two positions over the transfer period - striker and left back.

Surprisingly Nik Ledgerwood stays on the bench in the Regional League South game on Sunday, with Kent O'Connor coming on as a sub in the 69th minute as 1860 Muenchen amateurs draw 1-1 with VfR Aalen.

Blerim Rrustemi plays 90 minutes for Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs who remain in last place in the Regional League North with their 1-0 loss to RW Erfurt.

Jonathan Bourgault was not with the full FC St Pauli team in the Regional League North nor the Oberliga Nord team this past weekend. Also in the Oberliga Nord, Maycoll Canizales was a late sub as FC Oberneuland dropped their title clash with VfL Wolfsburg's amateur team 1-0 on Sunday.

Robert Kerek is subbed out at the half in SC Bahlinger's 1-0 win in the Oberliga Baden-Wuerttemburg. Victor Oppong is out long term with SV Waldhof Mannheim.

VfL Bochum kick off the last weekend of Bundesliga 1 action prior to the winter break. Kicker has Daniel Imhof on the bench as Bochum welcome local rivals Borussia Moenchengladbach tomorrow. VfL Bochum sit in 16th, with 15 points. Spots 16 through 18 are relegated to Bundesliga 2.

Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus have another tough match, hosting VfB Stuttgart (3rd overall) on Saturday, with Kapitan Kev trying to get a result to stay 14th or better in the table.

In the Bundesliga 2, Josh Simpson is expected to be on the bench as FC Kaiserslautern visit FC Koeln tomorrow. Simpson and company sit in 4th place, just behind 3rd place MSV Duisburg in a dog-fight for that last promotion spot.

1860 Muenchen (6th place) host the red-hot Erzerbirge Aue on Monday in Munich to close out the first half of the season. Nik Ledgerwood might see action but no lineups have been posted yet.

The Regional Leagues are now on hiatus, with a long break over the next two months or so.

The Regional League North, featuring FC St. Pauli with Jonathan Bourgault and Borussia

Moenchengladbach amateurs with Blerim Rrustemi, starts back up on the weekend of February 10th.

The Regional League South (1860 Muenchen amateurs with Kent O'Connor) are back in action the weekend of February 24th.

Yesterday I read the following interesting statemant from Julian De Guzman in our german press

"I know that some German Clubs want me to have and I´m in contact with them. I´m in the best age and I feel good enough not to sit on the bench or on the stands he told Spanisch Magazine AS. So it looks good for a comeback in the Bundesliga, already after the christmas break. Surely his former team of Hannover 96 is one of these candidates.

I tried to find that interview, but I did not.

The link unfortunatelly is only in german.

http://magazine.web.de/de/themen/sport/fussball/spanien/3351890.html

And Josh made a good move and was very close to his first goal for his team, but Cologne took a 2:0 lead in the first half.

I hope that Julian De Guzman will return to the Bundesliga, there he had his best moments in his carrer. And he is an enrichment for most of the teams in germans highest league.

Josh is subbed out at the 58' mark. FC Kaiserslautern come on strong after that, eventually finding the equalizer in a wild 2nd half, featuring 4 red cards shown. FC Kaiserslautern grab that last promotion spot, with Duisburg ready to reclaim it with a point or more on Sunday.

Good experience for Josh, as this 2nd division match in Koeln drew a crowd of 49,500.

From our great friend Frank over in Kaiserslautern. He will be conducting interviews with McKenna and Josh Simpson in the very near future.

All of them it looks like, that I can tell you more about Julian De Guzman. In our local press I read yesterday, that he wants to return to the Bundesliga. He said that he has contact to some clubs in Germany and he don´t want to sit on the bench or on the stands anymore. He is not satisfied with his situation in Spain. So I would really like to see him soon here. He is still my favorite canadian player.

Cottbus - Stuttgart

Even a good performance last Saturday at the Alianz Arena, Cottbus again returned with no points in the luggage. So the situation did not improve. So 3 points were more than just a nice christmas gift for the fans.

Bochum - Mönchengladbach

Also Bochum needs a victory in the last homegame this year. With M´Gladbach a standing neighbour will face them and so the points will count double. The fans will see a real relegation fight.

1. FC Köln - 1.FC Kaiserslautern

2 of germany´s tradition teams will meet in Cologne. After another poor appereance at home (scoreless game) FCK still has best chances in the race of the desired positions. A victory and the world would look good to Josh and friends. After 2 games without any minute, he returns to the starting 11. I wish him good luck, as he had a off time the last weeks. But I think this is only human, new environment, new league, new language. I´m sure that in the second half of the campaign we will see Josh from the beginning of the season

Daniel Imhof does not make the 18 game day selection as VfL Bochum grab a very big 3 points with a win over Borussia Moenchengladbach today.

Here's to Big Kev and company getting a result against VfB Stuttgart demain!

As far as I read the line up of Kaiserslautern, Josh needed to play in the defense chain, left side. Normally not his side, but the extrem personell situation of the squad made this necessary. They could equalize the game with a 2 men shorthand.

In general it was a good year. He played fantastic games at Karlsruhe and Rostock (leading teams of the 2. League). At the end of the season he could not confirm it. But he is one of the so called "young savages".

Kevin tied scoreless with Stuttgart. The game itselfe wasn´t that good, but with 16 games and 1440 minutes his personall record looks pretty good. He is the tower of Cottbus defense and is also able to play as a striker if the situation allows it. He was very satisfied with the first half of the campaign, but he also knows that it´s gonna be though in the second. He knows that untill the end of the season they will fight against the relegation.

A bad year for Daniel Imhof. A knee injury forced him to expose nearly the complete pre season. He had only some short appereances as some other problems always threw him back. So let´s keep the fingers cross, that 2007 will be a better year for him.

I could not find better information regarding Jonathan Bourgault, Nils Ledgerwood or Kent O´Connor...

Archived