How's your Euro, or from away team doin' ?

argh1

End of Season update/2007-2008 Season Preview

PORTUGAL

DIV III (3 levels below Liga Bwin.com)

Uniao Micaelense Finished first get to go up to Div II serie D. Should be able to stay up.

Liga de Honra (1 level below Liga Bwin.com)

Santa Clara - 4th place (out of 16) Misses promotion by 5pts. Should promote this year.

Liga Bwin.com

FC Porto - Won the Championship. Too many possible exits including Lucho Gonzalez and Quaresma. If they stay, the Championship is a cinch. If not....

SPAIN

Barcelona - Fire Rijkaard! How the hell do you lose the title like that?

FRANCE

PSG - Another disappointing year. 15th out of 20. Embarrassing.

ENGLAND

Northern Counties East League Premier Division (8 levels below Premiership)

Garforth Town - Finished fourth and won promotion to the Unibond Northern League Div 1. The Unibond Premier Division in 2009, then the Nationwide Conference North Division in 2010, then the Nationwide Conference National Division in 2011, then the Coca Cola League Two in 2012, then the Coca Cola League One in 2013, then the Coca Cola League Championship in 2014, then the Premiership in 2015, 10 years before their 2025 objective.

Coca Cola League Championship

Conventry City - 17th out of 24. The Premiership in 2008!

Premiership

Chelsea - Redemption in 2008! Unless of course Man U's new signings adjust quicker than expected.

ITALY

Fiorentina - 6th place despite a15pt penalty. Never the same since Batistuta got hurt and Edmundo went to Carnaval in '99 although they get UEFA Cup action this year.

GERMANY

Werder Bremen - Winter Champions and then finished third. Awesome run in the Champions League.

POLAND

Wisla Krakow - Finished 8th. 16pts off lead made a good showing in UEFA action.

ARGENTINA

Boca Juniors - Lavolpe screwed up the Apertura in a way that will never be forgotten. Ended up second in the Clausura and of course, Libertadores Champions.

PERU

Cienciano - Lost to Alianza Lima in the 2006 National Championship playoff after winning (tying) the 2006 Clausura. Finished second in the 2007 Apertura.

MEXICO

UANL Tigres - Finished second last in the Apertura not making it to the playoffs. Finished 8th in the Clausura and knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. Brought in Americo Gallego and if he can do what he's always done, Tigres will be Champions.

GUATEMALA

Municipal - Won the apertura. Then in the clausura finished 1st but came 3rd in the playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by River City

ENGLAND

Northern Counties East League Premier Division (8 levels below Premiership)

Garforth Town - Finished fourth and won promotion to the Unibond Northern League Div 1. The Unibond Premier Division in 2009, then the Nationwide Conference North Division in 2010, then the Nationwide Conference National Division in 2011, then the Coca Cola League Two in 2012, then the Coca Cola League One in 2013, then the Coca Cola League Championship in 2014, then the Premiership in 2015, 10 years before their 2025 objective.

Coca Cola League Championship

Conventry City - 17th out of 24. The Premiership in 2008!

Premiership

Chelsea - Redemption in 2008! Unless of course Man U's new signings adjust quicker than expected.

Liverpool is a contender this year too. No doubt!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by River City

SPAIN

Barcelona - Fire Rijkaard! How the hell do you lose the title like that?

This is where I stand too. I have a rather dreadful feeling bout this upcoming season, especially after watching the first game vs. Dundee Utd. We have no killer instinct and no tactical solutions coming from the bench to solve getting bogged down. Dreadful feeling setting in, with a better coach, this team would be a major 5 year dynasty in Spain and Europe.

My teams season is looking quote promising, especially compared to last season.

I'm an AC Milan supporter, and they'll start the season with Ronaldo and Oddo, two players they added mid-season last year, so that should help them out. Of course they are Champions League champions, so that'll be tough to top, but I have a good feeling about the league this year too. I'm hopeful that they can haul a bunch of trophies. They haven't made an big signings, but the are linked to most major players, including Pato.

Newcastle United has a new coach who has had success - Sam Allardyce - so lets see now what he can do at a big club. With Owen healthy and working with Obafemi Martins, that could form the best strike force in the EPL. Micheal needs to stay healthy though. Otherwise, they are still leaky at the back, but I guess some things never change.

Hibernian FC are still a team full of young guns. The loss of Scott Brown hurts, but John Collins has proven to be a good manager, so I expect him to help the young side have a great year. I believe they are in the UEFA cup this year because of their League Cup victory, so the goal there would be to get to the group stages. In the league, as always is the case in Scotland, any team outside the Old Firm realistically aims for third. That said, the Scottish League has shown a lot more tightness in recent years.

I expect great things from all three of my clubs this year. My predicitons:

AC Milan </u>

Serie A Champions

Champions League Champion

European Super Cup Cup Champions

World Club Cup Champions

Newcastle United</u>

EPL sixth place

League Cup Champions

Hibernian FC</u>

SPL third place

FA Cup Champions

UEFA Cup group stages

Wow this is an oldie.

But let's see......

QPR has ownership troubles again!

Halifax still after 6(?) years is operating under a CVA.

Leeds still hasn't gotten their shares back from the Football League.

Lyon should be okay. But I still really follow PSG [:P]

Anybody wish bad fortune on a team, mention argh1 follows them ;)

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

This is where I stand too. I have a rather dreadful feeling bout this upcoming season, especially after watching the first game vs. Dundee Utd. We have no killer instinct and no tactical solutions coming from the bench to solve getting bogged down. Dreadful feeling setting in, with a better coach, this team would be a major 5 year dynasty in Spain and Europe.

Not with that backline! None of Barca's defenders would even start for Chelsea, Liverpool or Man United. [8)]

Even Arsenal have a better defense, altho Puyol would probably start on that team.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Not with that backline! None of Barca's defenders would even start for Chelsea, Liverpool or Man United. [8)]

Even Arsenal have a better defense, altho Puyol would probably start on that team.

Which defender from those teams would succeed at Barça? I dare say none of them.

Barça's back line can look shaky because they are always exposed by our playing style. This has always been the case, I remember when we signed Laurent Blanc, he failed totally.

But if you look at our goal's against over the last years we are the best in Spain playing attacking football, even Valdes is the least scored upon keeper in Spain over the last three years. Defence is not Barça's problem, it is getting the goals to put games away and not having to go down to the wire.

This year we have Milito, Márquez, Thuram, Puyol when he gets back from injury, and Oleguer. Outside Abidal and Sylvinho on the left, Belletti and Zambrotta on the right. I think that is enough to make things work.

I also support Liverpool, but am not convinced by the way Benítez signs, he has the same idea he had at Valencia, with a deep squad, making lots of changes from match to match, but lacking a few more true stars you can rely on to break open a game when all else fails.

I don't normally keep a close eye on things in the offseason, but my boys at AZ Alkmaar should contend again this coming season in the Dutch Eredivisie. I don't know where their scoring punch will come from, as high scorer Shota Arveladze has moved on to Levante in the summer break.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Which defender from those teams would succeed at Barça? I dare say none of them.

I think players like Agger, Carragher and Gallas would do quite well at Barca. No doubt the signings by Milito, Abidal and Yaya were great for Barca, as I think Marquez, Oleguer, Thuram and Belletti cannot be relied upon in big games (how many late goals did Barca allow last season from a total break down at the back?). Marquez is totally overrated, IMO.

Archived