How's your Euro, or from away team doin' ?

argh1

My QPR Rangers are currently sucking the hind tit. 24 points outta a possible 60 for the 30 games played and are sittin' in 17th spot in the CCC.

I'd say shoot the mangement but I think somebody tried that last year [B)]

So how's your team doin' ?

60 possible points from 30 games? Last time I checked a win was worth 3. That'd be 90 possible points from 30 games. Sorry to twist the knife in yer back, but that makes the 24 points out of 90 look a lot worse!

Eintracht Frankfurt (for me) have done very well. Went a lengthy period in the bundesliga going undefeated, and are acquitting themselves very well in the UEFA Cup - considering taking them over after I win the Quadruple with Man United in FIFA 2007!

Celtic have pretty much already won the SPL title and can still win every piece of silverware in Scotland that they're allowed to compete for.

By the by they're also through to the final 16 in Champions League.

AH HA HA HA HA.

Of course on the down side, Hammers are a shambles and with this Magnusson character promising a very hands on roll, visions of Hearts living nighmare spring to mind. I'm afraid. Very afraid.

Villa are doing so-so. Not sure if O'Neil can scrape them back towards respectability in the long run but so-far there's still hope.

Guest Jeffery S.

Barça. Match of the year this Tuesday vs. Werder Bremen, only a win keeps us in Champions.

If we don't go through the year is a bit of a failure, even if we do win the world club championship (not easy), or the league, a bit better looking.

Horrible first half of the season thus far for Leeds United. A year after coming to within a game of promotion to the Premier League, now, they're battling to stay in the Championship!

GP W D L Pts

20 Leicester 21 5 7 9 22

21 Barnsley 21 6 4 11 22

22 Leeds 21 6 2 13 20

23 Hull 21 4 5 12 17

24 Southend 21 2 6 13 12

Well Tottenham is having a mediocre season in the EPL, but I'm thinking we could have a pretty succesful cup season. Most likely in the carling cup but also in the Uefa cup where we haven't lost yet. Hope to see Stalteri start in the carling cup match against Southend.

I'm too new to soccer to have settled on only one team, so:

Barcelona: see Jeffrey's post. I think Chelsea were only too happy to lose their last game in the Champions League.

Everton: watching European play recede toward the future.

Charlton: deciding whether to sell players and live within their means next year or keep them and try to spend only one year in the Championship.

Middlesborough: Only out of relegation threat because Charlton (and Watford) are so bad. Playing attacking football at the bottom end of the table. (Is McClaren secretly using Boro to figure out how to run 3-5-2?)

My AZ (Alkmaar) are doing well in the Dutch Eredivisie, just ahead of Ajax with 32 points from 14 matches, and 8 points back of front-runners PSV with a game to make up on the Eindhoven squad. I'm hoping this year they manage to avoid the end-of-season drop-off that has kept them out of Champions League the last 2 years.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

60 possible points from 30 games? Last time I checked a win was worth 3. That'd be 90 possible points from 30 games. Sorry to twist the knife in yer back, but that makes the 24 points out of 90 look a lot worse!

Eintracht Frankfurt (for me) have done very well. Went a lengthy period in the bundesliga going undefeated, and are acquitting themselves very well in the UEFA Cup - considering taking them over after I win the Quadruple with Man United in FIFA 2007!

Ooops and the R's have now played 21 games. Follow too much hockey and my math is deperate. Still they suck and lost to-day to Palace 3-ZIP. I guess they're the not so "Super" Hoops this season.

My teams are sending me into depression. The Russian team I support, Shinnik Yaroslavl, finished in last place (the season ended last week) and are relegated to the first division (Russian like England has decided on a screwy naming system with the top division being called the Premier League). Now on my yearly visit to Russia I will get to watch them play teams like Baltica Kaliningrad instead of CSKA Moscow.

Things are even worse for me in Germany as my team, Sachsen Leipzig, is playing in the 4th division. Despite hiring a top trainer (Ede Geyer- the guy who brought Energie Cottbus to the Bundesliga) and several former 1st and 2nd Bundesliga players they are only in 8th position, a couple of the 7 teams ahead of them are actually semi-pro clubs. They actually play at this level in the 45 000 seat state of the art stadium in Leipzig that was used in the recent World Cup.

Gillingham are middle of the table so far this season which is better than usual as they usually flirt with relegation for most of the year. They're up against Bristol City in the 2nd Round of the FA cup right now.

Derry City lost to PSG in the UEFA cup and has finished second to Shelbourne (based on goal differential!). They're playing in the FAI cup final today. Perhaps another run at the UEFA cup next year.....

Fulham won't get relegated. They will likely sign Clint Dempsey and have to figure out who to use on the wings next season. Figuring out how to win consecutive games has been long since deemed impossible and forgotten. The back four will remain in shambles with Quedrue turning to a crack habit and disappearing into France to "find himself".

Hibernian FC find themselves in fourth spot after 17 matches. They've enjoyed a good run under new manager John Collins, and are in position for second spot in the Scottish Premier League. A trip to Ibrox next weekend to face Rangers could show if they are contenders or pretenders.

P GD PTS

1 Celtic 17 22 44

2 Rangers 17 9 28

3 Aberdeen 17 8 28

4 Hibernian 17 13 26

5 Kilmarnock 17 -3 25

They are also marred in a nasty contract dispute with two of their top young players, Scott Brown, and Kevin Thomson, the latter being their captain. It seems both players are signed for a few more years, but want improved wages after publicly being valued at 3 million pounds each. They could be moved in January, but if the club is going anywhere, they need to remain.

In the English Premiership, my other club Newcastle United is playing terribly, only recently breaking a skid of 9 games without a victory. They continue to be hampered by injuries, and their lack of quality defense continues to hinder them. Despite over 250 million pounds of investment by Chairman Freddy Sheperd over the last ten years, they are in rough shape, as one can see

P GD PTS

16 Sheff Utd 16 -9 16

17 West Ham 15 -8 14

18 Newcastle 14 -6 13

19 Watford 14 -10 9

20 Charlton 15 -12 9

Southampton are 5th in the Championship after 21 games and only 4 points behind leaders, Birmingham. At the start of the year, I believed that Saints would challenge for a playoff position, which is exactly where they are. However, their next 6 games are against clubs from the bottom half of the table so they might push into an automatic promotion posistion by the new year. Having said that, Saints' form has been spotty all year and they have dropped points and matches to pretty poor clubs.

After being relegated in 2004-05, the 2005-06 season was an utter disaster. Instead of pushing to go right back up, Saints stumbled about near the relegation zone for much of the year. An unfriendly takeover of the club ensued and Rupert Lowe was removed as chairman at the end of the season. With a new board installed over the close season, the club spent a bit of money but it doesn't appear that we'll spend much more in the January transfer window. The first team seems a bit big to me, with a number of expensive long term injuries eating up salary dollars that could be better spent elsewhere (Prutton and M. Svensson). Saints have some good young players. The keeper Bialkowski, who is returning from serious knee injury is a Polish international. Gareth Bale might be the best young player outside the Premiership. Bradley Wright-Phillips has a lot of up-side potential.

By all accounts, Saints have actually tried to play football this year as opposed to the very direct game that is favoured by many teams pushing to get out of this division (see Watford last year). While I believe this would be advantageous to Saints if they were to get promoted (Premiership defenses can snuff out route 1 tactics) I really can't see Saints staying in the Premier league without significant investment in players. And as long as I've supported Saints, there has never been much money to spend.

I mainly follow the Portuguese League, Barcelona, Chelsea and Boca Juniors, but here are my teams....

PORTUGAL

DIV III (3 levels below Liga Bwin.com)

Uniao Micaelense 2nd place (out of 10) after 10 games - 2pts off the lead.

Liga de Honra (1 level below Liga Bwin.com)

Santa Clara - 2nd place (out of 16) after 12 games - 1 pt off lead but with an extra game played.

Liga Bwin.com

FC Porto - #1 and fighting in UCL against Arsenal this week

SPAIN

Barcelona - I'm not a fan of Rijkaard, so it's been hard to cheer for them

FRANCE

PSG - Another disappointing year. 14th (out of 20)after 15 games - 26 pts off lead with a game at hand

ENGLAND

Northern Counties East League Premier Division (7 levels below Premiership)

Garforth Town - 12th place (out of 20) after 15 games - 10 pts off lead with a game in hand

Coca Cola League 1

Conventry City - 12th (out of 24) after 21 games - 10 pts off lead

Premiership

Chelsea - I'll cheer whatever team Mourinho coaches....(here's hoping he never goes to ManU, Real Madrid or River Plate)

ITALY

Fiorentina - 18th (out of 20) after 14 games thanks to their 15pt penalty. Never the same since Batistuta got hurt and Edmundo went to Carnaval in '99.

GERMANY

Werder Bremen - Used to follow them 'cause of Stalteri, but now 'cause of Hugo Almeida and Diego. Tied for first.

POLAND

Wisla Krakow - 5th (out of 16) after 15 games - 5 pts off lead

ARGENTINA

Boca Juniors - Can Lavolpe possibly screw this one up on the last matchday?

PERU

Cienciano 4th (out of 12) after 20 games - 3 pts off lead

MEXICO

UANL Tigres - Choke...

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

It was a typo, mate. Afterall, the "2" is right next to the "3" innit. So I think we should let ARGH1 live.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Barça. Match of the year this Tuesday vs. Werder Bremen, only a win keeps us in Champions.

If we don't go through the year is a bit of a failure, even if we do win the world club championship (not easy), or the league, a bit better looking.

Thank the lord for that, now we are back on track and can breathe freely for another week. Went to the game last night, great emotion first half, necessary tedium the second as we did not get that third to put things away.

Barça goes to the World Club Championship next week, on what I consider to be the tougher side of the draw, likely to face Club America in semis. On the other side of the draw Internacional de Porto Alegre has perhaps an easier run to the final, though I am not sure they are ready to handle the pressure. In any case, an entertaining format and quite possibly a big boost if we win.

quote:Originally posted by JKCanada

Horrible first half of the season thus far for Leeds United. A year after coming to within a game of promotion to the Premier League, now, they're battling to stay in the Championship!

GP W D L Pts

20 Leicester 21 5 7 9 22

21 Barnsley 21 6 4 11 22

22 Leeds 21 6 2 13 20

23 Hull 21 4 5 12 17

24 Southend 21 2 6 13 12

Gee thanks I come to this board to get away from the knowledge of Leeds doing so badly......But I think Leeds will pass Leicester on the table :D

I've followed West Ham United since Craig Forrest was there. Unfortunately, they have had some lean years, ending up in the Championship for a couple of years before coming back to the EPL after the 2004/05 season(after winning the playoff). It looks like they are in danger of being relegated once again as they sit in 18th spot with a pathetic 14 points from 16 games. They just lost 2-0 to Wigan. The new Argentine signings are doing absolutely nothing!

They are on Sportnet Saturday playing against Bolton. I look forward to seeing them in action...

I've followed West Ham United since Craig Forrest was there. Unfortunately, they have had some lean years, ending up in the Championship for a couple of years before coming back to the EPL after the 2004/05 season(after winning the playoff). It looks like they are in danger of being relegated once again as they sit in 18th spot with a pathetic 14 points from 16 games. They just lost 2-0 to Wigan. The new Argentine signings are doing absolutely nothing!

They are on Sportnet Saturday playing against Bolton. I look forward to seeing them in action...

Archived