Political motive behind United signing Henke?

Desigol

Is there an ulterior motive for United signing a 35-Year Old?

United's traditional fanbase in Ireland is now under threat from a new Generation who only care about Celtic. Could this signing be a stunt to ensure United are still the most supported team in Ireland?

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

United's traditional fanbase in Ireland is now under threat from a new Generation who only care about Celtic. Could this signing be a stunt to ensure United are still the most supported team in Ireland?

Maybe Henrik signing with Manchester United?

If it is, then the only motive there is United's lack of strikers at a difficult time of the year in terms of scheduling. Larsson(sp?) proved last season with Barcelona that he is more than capable.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Good, I'm not the only one who's confused.

First, "Henke" is well past his best-before date and I really don't think he's got it in him to be anything but a poor shadow of his once, glorious, magnificent, awe inspiring self. At least in a northern league. Still good? I'm sure, but certainly not an immortal. Not anymore.

Second, I not sure if there is an ulterior motive unless you think Sir Alex is up to something other than getting a natural born goal scorer for nothing to come off the bench and maybe push the other boys along.

And third, there are Man U fans in Ireland? Have to take your word for it but all the Irish chaps over here that I've ever met (and there are a few) are Liverpool or Celtic fans to the man.

Henrik - ah, now it makes sense.

Henrik was signed as a super-sub. Coming off the bench with Solksjaer and Rossi united all of a sudden have some danger-men off the bench. His experience will be telling in March-May. With the service Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, Scholes, Carrick and Saha can give Henrik in his 20 minute cameo's expect some fantastic short-term displays.

The only "motive" Ferguson has is to sign a top-quality, experienced, intelligent natural goal-scorer. The MUFC brass are under no illusions Larsson will necessarily raise the clubs profile around the globe or in Ireland (who in fact always support Celtic and Liverpool - especially considering MUFC's "connection" with the Protestant Glasgow Rangers).

This is a move I've drooled over for years and was so disappointed when he went to Barca rather than MUFC. I've never cheered for an individual to win the Champions League outside of MUFC more than I did for Larsson at Barca.

There are rumous Henrik's contract may have a spoken-word agreement whereby if he does well Fergie can get him back in September from Sweden.

I have another version of this misleading title, I wondered why there should be a political reason behind DC United signing former Bayern Munich Assistant and now Regionalliga manager Michael Henke. Then I wondered why they should sign a 3rd league manager who just has been downgraded from coach/manager to manager.

• 2 weeks later...

The reality is;

Im my Parents Generation, people in Ireland supported United because they saw George Best represent their Island on the Football field.

Now, young boys in the Free State are supporting Celtic to show some form of 'solidarity' with Catholics in Northern Ireland. A support cemented by the political climate of conflict.

FAO Tim St. Pauli, 'Henke' is commonly used in Scotland to refer to Larsson. Celtic fans also refer to ex-Rangers man Tore Andre Flo as 'Flop'.

Archived