Rumour - huge changes in Canadian TV Soccer

Loud Mouth Soup

Its TRUE!!

Just received a special bulletin email from soccertv.com (I subscibe to their email newsletter). Check out the home page of Soccertv.com, its listed at the top along with news that Fox/Setanta have renewed their deal for EPL. so The Score will be sublicensing the games from them, as they own the rights for North America.

This sucks for EPL fans IMO, you have to sit through a game with that damn ticker on the screen, not the best way to watch football if you ask me. Also, last time they showed EPL (on Sundays), they did some sort of split screen for commercials (actual some guy would come on and give updates), I hope that doesn't continue. I believe I remember hearing that a lot of people complained but The Score didn't seem to give a crap. Hears hoping for a better viewing experience this time around- are you listing The Score!?!

Also, the email I recieved mentioned that Sportsnet's deal with the CSA expires at the end of this year, I hope CBC or GolTV signs with them instead, GolTV is a pure soccer channel but not available everywhere which is why I also mention the CBC which is widely available. That and the fact they have secured the rights for the World Cup and did an excellent job last time they had the World Cup. I think Canada's public broadcaster would give good coverage to our National teams and the best part is CBC is available OTA- Free!

As far as MLS, GolTV should go after the Toronto FC games, it would be a great fit

The ticker will not be removed, let's just get that out of the way before the flood of whining and moaning. Live with it. It is necessary to retain their broadcasting license.

Just to repeat...

The ticker will not be removed.

Deal with it.

CBC is the front runner for Toronto FC. TSN will more than likely no longer sell CFL rights back to CBC........Thus the 4:00pm kick-off time for Toronto FC. Perfect for CBC to fill their CFL hole. Sportsnet is in more than a funk lately....upper management has the blinders on. They've also lost NCAA Final Four rights to The Score as well.

Actually, I look fwd. to The Score showing the EPL. I wonder if they will have the triple header every Saturday? Or will FSWC take any Saturday games. Brian Sherman is good.

Also I noticed on the www.soccertv.com website, it sounds like that Soccer Central might be done as of December 31st as the CSA's contract with Sportsnet is done on December 31, 2006. My gut tells me a massive announcement will happen with regards to The National Team (Women's men's U-20, etc) within the next two weeks. I can't see an announcement with regards to tv happening after the new year. Logical thinking tells my CBC is going to come in with the kill on this one. I hope CBC gets the rights. This will give CBC great variety this upcoming summer during the evening. That means less showings of Cornation Street, should CBC get the rights and show the CONCACAF Gold Cup. It is either that or TSN/CTV.

What does this mean for the future of the dynamic duo of Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest? After this season, look for them to split. I could see both headed to the CBC. I would take Gerry over Steve Armitage calling games for the CBC, unless they get Alf DeBlasis. Alf called soccer on the CBC during the 2003 Pan American Games from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

As for MLS, Toronto FC and TV, my prediction is they will be on TSN and CBC, with a sprinkiling on FSWC.

Lastly, does any one know about this "new" all spanish television station that Telelatino is starting up. It sounds like sports will be a part of it.

Originally posted by matthew - 12/02/2006 : 03:43:51</u>

Not sure if this is the right place, but an interesting development IMO. This leaves Sportsnet with what? Anything? Maybe TFC?

TORONTO (CP) - The Score television network has grabbed the rights to English Premier League soccer away from Rogers Sportsnet and will begin airing games next season.

Representatives of The Score could not be reached for comment Friday, but well-placed sources confirm the all-sports network has reached a five-year agreement with the Premier League for the weekend package of games.

The deal is believed to be worth about $12 million.

The Premier League, the most popular soccer television property in Canada, has been a staple at Sportsnet for eight years. Audiences have skyrocketed this season, in some cases doubled, because of interest generated by the World Cup last summer.

quote:Originally posted by GRE004

Also, last time they showed EPL (on Sundays), they did some sort of split screen for commercials (actual some guy would come on and give updates), I hope that doesn't continue. I believe I remember hearing that a lot of people complained but The Score didn't seem to give a crap. Hears hoping for a better viewing experience this time around- are you listing The Score!?!

I think it's part of The Score's broadcasting license that they have to have news updates every so often. It's easy with other sports since they just do it during commercial breaks and it seems like a natural fit, but I think they will have to cut into the soccer games one way or an other.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

Lastly, does any one know about this "new" all spanish television station that Telelatino is starting up. It sounds like sports will be a part of it.

http://www.tlntv.com/main/news/tln_spanish_02.asp - looks like they will be showing the WYC and Copa America plus FIFA events. I'm guessing they will pick up other games as well depending on what's available.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Is Rogers making way for Toronto FC? I think so.

No. EPL games are in the morning. They will just show news reruns or fishing shows now. Besides, I think it actually makes sense for the channel showing EPL matches to also show TFC as it would be a nice lead-in and promotion during the about 4 months when both leagues are playing.

CBC does seem to make the most sense, especially if they don't get any CFL games. This past season I believe they showed CFL at 7 p.m. on Saturdays so that would also be a nice slot for TFC during the summer. Since they got the FIFA events, and probably will get the NT games, plus the Impact on French CBC, they have to be considered the front runners at this point.

I think GolTV would be a huge mistake for TFC because how many people get it? Although there are corporate ties between GolTV and MLSEL so it unfortunately might end up there. I think it would be a really bad choice.

The CBC doesn't have anything to gain from broadcasting TFC matches. They got very little from when they broadcast Blue Jays games on the national level. There just wasn't the support outside the GTA to keep it going.

It's not the same was having the Impact on Radio-Canada.

Archived