Canadians abroad: December 1-7, 2006

DJT

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Hutchinson scores for Copenhagen... they lead Celtic 1-0 in the 2nd minute.

From uefa.com

2' Hutchinson (K�benhavn) scores! It takes K�benhavn just two minutes to take the lead with Atiba Hutchinson collecting the ball from a throw before a nice exchange on the edge of the penalty area sees him chest it down, shake off the attentions of the Celtic defence and finish confidently low past Artur Boruc.

The match tracker has Hutchinson lined up as a forward alongside Allback.

Edit: 3-1 final for Copenhagen. Atiba goes 90 minutes. Celtic and Man U qualify for the next round.

Guest Jeffery S.

Copenhagen out of Europe as Benfica, though tied on points, took the spot.

I think Atiba did great this Champions, great experience for him too. So no Canucks left in Champions, while a few alive still in UEFA cup, depending on what comes down tomorrow.

Guest Jeffery S.

Highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cRlp9A6uv0

Atiba's goal is great, very well taken. He was very close to the play on the last one as well. The guy is amazingly versatile, not sure if that is good in the long term, as you'd want him to settle in at some time. But for a team with a thin squad like Copenhagen in a couple competitions, that is a bonus, as smaller teams are usually disfavoured by having to play twice a week.

Any know if Atiba has ever had an injury keeping him out for more than a few weeks? Just wondering.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think Atiba did great this Champions, great experience for him too. So no Canucks left in Champions, while a few alive still in UEFA cup, depending on what comes down tomorrow.

Yes, except for the total off-day in Portugal against Benfica then all-in-all I think Hutchinson and FCK have done well in their first ever CL group stage, despite the misfortune that their big Star player Jesper Grønkjær got injured in the very first game against Benfica which perhaps was too big a loss for this team to show the needed punch in attack, so that in the end 7 point unfortunately was 1 point too little to progress from this group. Still, CL is a very tough competition and FCK collected more points than 10 of the other teams participation in the group stage (Sporting Lissabon, Hamburger SV, Anderlecht, Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Spartak Moskva, Dynamo Kiev, Steaua Bukarest, Shakhtar Donezk and Levski Sofia). So I would say well done, and better luck next time.

---

FC København v Celtic 3-1

1-0 Atiba Hutchinson (2)

2-0 Jesper Grønkjær (27)

3-0 Marcus Allbäck (57)

3-1 Jiri Jarosik (75)

Good game by a FCK team that looked sharp in attack, producing plenty of huge opportunities, with shots from both Allbäck and Silberbauer hitting the Celtic woodwork.

Match report in English at :

http://www.fck.dk/index.php?pageid=754&newsid=6277

A few Highlights :

http://www.dr.dk/extention/playWindowsMedianyheder.aframe?id=243598&ListType=nyheder&trace=off

or

http://www.dr.dk/player/Player.asp?subsite=nyheder&WMPVer=9.0.0.2980&id=243598&name=&video=#

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Conspiracy, or the injury that kept him out of the Canada-Hungary match :).

Lars is nursing a bad back. He would play if it were an important match, but Rosenborg have obviously decided the Royal League is pretty meaningless. Besides this gives them a chance to see if young backup Hansen has the chops to backstop the team if need be.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Lars is nursing a bad back. He would play if it were an important match, but Rosenborg have obviously decided the Royal League is pretty meaningless. Besides this gives them a chance to see if young backup Hansen has the chops to backstop the team if need be.

I notice that Ademolu was in the news with TIL lately ? Anything significant ?

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Start fan -- any word on Bernier yet?

Highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cRlp9A6uv0

Oops, I tried to find that on YouTube but my search came up with nothing. Apparently I should have been searching on "Kobenhavn" instead of "Copenhagen".

Anyway, I wasn't smart enough to come on here first to find this link, so I uploaded Atiba's goal with English commentary here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyl1iQ7sQ4U

Guest Jeffery S.

Not reported previously, Fernando Aguiar scored in m. 3 but Gondomar needed an extra time goal from Canales to draw Trofense 2-2 away in Portugal's Liga de Honra. They are mid-table, 7 pts back of the leaders after 12 matches. Aguiar also was carded in m. 81. I think he now has three goals on the year.

Going to Portugal between Xmas and New Year and disappointed, but perhaps not surprised, there is not football that week. Unless maybe some friendly, not sure, anyone know?

quote:Originally posted by highburygooner

a rumour this morning:

Charlton are being linked with a move for Canada midfielder Julian de Guzman, who is currently playing for Deportivo la Coruna. (Independent)

I figure most posters here would welcome any change of scenery for him in any of the big 4 leagues.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by highburygooner

a rumour this morning:

Charlton are being linked with a move for Canada midfielder Julian de Guzman, who is currently playing for Deportivo la Coruna. (Independent)

FROM EUROSPORT:

Deportivo midfielder Julian de Guzman is seeking a winter exit from the Riazor and has been offered to an array of clubs in Britain.

"I need to play and the only solution [to this problem] is to leave," he said.

"I do not understand why last season I played in 24 matches and now I have been given zero minutes.

"It is logical that I be sold in January. I am convinced that I shall accept the chance to move."

The Canadian international, 25, has a contract until 2009, but has set his sights on a move to England. Among his potential suitors are Sheffield United, Charlton Athletic and Leeds United, as well as Scottish club Aberdeen.

"The most feasible destination for me is Europe," he added.

"English football is passionate and it is wonderful for any player to play there."

Friend apparently got the assist in the 87th minute in a 1-0 victory for Heerenveen. Friend came on as a sub in the 81st minute.

Finnish striker Tarvajarvi latched onto Rob Friend's flick on before shrugging off a Roda defender and finish clinically to register his first goal of the season just two minutes after entering the fray.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=199598&cc=5901

Archived