Gold Cup Venues

CDN4EVR

The islands start their final round of qualifying in Janaury. The top 4 go to the Gold Cup, and as you can see from the list, there has already been some huge upsets. Guyana are unbeaten in their last 14 matches:

Guyana

Guadeloupe

Barbados,

Cuba,

Martinique,

St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Trinidad & Tobago (host)

Central America, Top 5 Qualfy:

San Salvador, EL SALVADOR; Cuscatlán Stadium (8-18 February 2007)

Group 1 – El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize, Nicaragua

Group 2 – Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama

If it's top 3 from group 1 and top 2 from group 2 who qualify for the GC in Central America I don't think Belize and Nicaragua should be in the same group.

It will a fun GC with some new countries. I'm pretty sure Cuba and T&T will qualify but it will be interesting to see who'll join them. I'm cheering for St-Vincent, Barbados and Guyana.

Yes, there is going to be a couple of new faces at the Gold Cup, and I think that is fantastic. Some of the smaller nations now have a realistic chance of qualifying. I would love to see Canada vs Guyana, or a rematch vs Martinique. St.Vincent just knocked Jamaica out, so they can't be too bad.

Canada will be at a disadvantage in many ways. Besides the fact we do not have a coach (although it is looking more likely that Hart will remain), most of these countries have been playing games at a frenzied rate, and then will go through qualifying tournaments. They will all be very prepared.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

If it's top 3 from group 1 and top 2 from group 2 who qualify for the GC in Central America I don't think Belize and Nicaragua should be in the same group.

It will a fun GC with some new countries. I'm pretty sure Cuba and T&T will qualify but it will be interesting to see who'll join them. I'm cheering for St-Vincent, Barbados and Guyana.

I highly doubt that the top 2 from each group will be the format for central america. They must have some kind of playoff or something unless you actually know because im just speculating.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Wait, its not the top 3 anyway because only 5 nations qualify.

And outside of Belize and Nicaragau, all are quality sides that can beat Canada on any given day.

If there is one country that has impressed me, it's Panama. These former lightweights have been playing more matches than anyone over the past few years and are now capable of beating anyone in CONCACAF.

I can't remember the kids name, but I know Man U is giving a trial to one of their youngsters.

Venues:

1 group:

Orange Bowl, FL (74,177): 3 matchdays

1 group:

Home Depot Centre, CA (27,000): 2 matchdays

Gilette Stadium, MA (68,756): 1 matchday

1 group:

Giants Stadium, NJ (80,242): 2 matchdays

Reliant Stadium, TX (69,500): 1 matchday

Quarter-finals:

Gilette Stadium: 2 quarters

Reliant Stadium: 2 quarters

Semis:

Soldier Field, IL (57,000): both semis

Third place:

No mention

Final:

Soldier Field, IL: both semis

***So where would you guys like Canada to play? I'd like that second group, which would give them their final home game and potential quarter in Boston, although the first two games in NYC could mean more fans from TO and MTL.

Why is the tournament being held in these huge football stadiums, when there are SSS laying in wait? Don't many MLS teams have a SSS? And why aren't they being used? Empty stadiums will make the tournament look even more amateur than it is already perceived to be.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Why is the tournament being held in these huge football stadiums, when there are SSS laying in wait? Don't many MLS teams have a SSS? And why aren't they being used? Empty stadiums will make the tournament look even more amateur than it is already perceived to be.

You have to realise Canada games aren't the norm ;).

There are very few SSS's in cities where a lot of CONCACAF fans live.

Honduras-Haiti drew like 30k people in Miami a few years ago, but it wouldn't be the same in Bridgeview, Frisco or Columbus...

Games are set up as double-headers so attendance should be good, even if the fans aren't there for both games.

Soldier Field got an overhaul a few years ago, relegating the Fire to Napierville:

New:

newaerial.jpg

Old:

Picture1-4.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_Field

The original "Section8":

pg5_12.jpg

Archived