Toronto FC backup keeper(s)

Alberto7

Now that Sutton is pretty much sure of signing with Toronto FC, I got to thinking as to who could back him up. Any one have any ideas?

I'll throw a couple of names out...

Pieter Meuleman-haven't seen him in a while but he was our U-20 keeper for a time and spent some time on the Impact bench a couple of years ago.

Theo Zagar-Not # 1 material but could be a reasonable backup(for 5-6 games a year)

Mike Franks-don't have a clue if he is still up to snuff these days, but had a couple of good years with the Whitecaps and would also be a good backup.

Comments, suggestions???

I could see Zagar taking on the backup role, especially now that the Lynx have dropped down to the PDL.

He's fairly experienced (at the USL level), and a backup keeper's salary in MLS (roughly $40-60k US) is probably a bump up from what he was getting with the Lynx.

Plus, he's a Toronto boy, so it all adds up.

The third keeper would likely be someone on a developmental contract.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I could see Zagar taking on the backup role, especially now that the Lynx have dropped down to the PDL.

He's fairly experienced (at the USL level), and a backup keeper's salary in MLS (roughly $40-60k US) is probably a bump up from what he was getting with the Lynx.

Plus, he's a Toronto boy, so it all adds up.

The third keeper would likely be someone on a developmental contract.

Yeah, that's why I singled him out. He would not cost Toronto FC any money(for a transfer) and has a lot of experience(albeit at a lower level). He could be the backup for the first year or two(he just turned 32).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Andrew Olivieri

Alim Karim

Proven NCAA keepers who are in their senior years (Phil Marfuggi from Clemson could be a nice pick http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/marfuggi_phil00.html)

I think it will likely be an NCAA keeper with USA Youth National team experience.

Why would we want to do that when there are Canadians of quality capable of filling that role?

db

I don't see many canadians apart from the two I,ve named and Zagar (and I think it would be a waste to have a 32 yrs old as a back up). I don't see Begovic or Wagenaar coming back in Canada to back up Sutton in the MLS.

So that's why I feel they'll go with a young and solid prospect, most likely an american from the NCAA.

But I think they'll have a third keeper who.ll be a young canadian.

Archived