Canada on the International Stage

ANC2

quote:Originally posted by ANC2

Look at the Hungry game was that team not organized? It looked so to me, maybe I am not an expert like you.

Yes, they were very disorganized in Hungary. The midfield looked makeshift at best. It didn't seem like anyone knew what their role was. We were allowed to pass around them and look</u> organized because they (Hungary) were young and inexperienced.

Mitchell's ultra defensive style as shown against Colombia & Italy is maybe what you want. Good luck getting a single shot on goal.

And yet, for most of the game against Hungary, it looked like Hart went with a single target forward up front. I think we could've taken the game to them a little bit more. This whould've given us more quality opportunities against a young inexperienced team like Hungary.

Look at the Hungry game was that team not organized? It looked so to me, maybe I am not an expert like you.

Yes, they were very disorganized in Hungary. The midfield looked makeshift at best. It didn't seem like anyone knew what their role was. We were allowed to pass around them and look</u> organized because they (Hungary) were young and inexperienced.

Mitchell's ultra defensive style as shown against Colombia & Italy is maybe what you want. Good luck getting a single shot on goal.

And yet, for most of the game against Hungary, it looked like Hart went with a single target forward up front. I think we could've taken the game to them a little bit more. This whould've given us more quality opportunities against a young inexperienced team like Hungary.

quote:Originally posted by wildboy26

Hirschfeld has not been part of the Canadian Soccer program for almost 2 years now and there are still people talking about him as if he is part of the team

*Yawn*

Lars was called up for the Hungary match last week, but turned it down due to injury.

Your useless little diatribes are nothing more than trolling at this point and should be dealt with as such.

Was it Mitchell's ultra-defensive style that led to Canada's 2-1 victory over Brazil this past summer?

Grizzley as I said before you are on a personal agenda.

Big sigh (will the idiocy never end?). What pray tell is my agenda? Am I bigoted against white Trinidadians? Am I pissed off because Hart's gypsy grandmother stole all my illegitimate children and led them to a life of travelling around the Caribbean in a Gypsy jazz musical convoy when I would have preferred them to come to Germany with me and learn how to play Bach? Actually never met the man and have only heard from other Voyageurs that have that he is a very nice guy (which doesn't make him a good coach by the way). What is your agenda that you make such idiotic accusations? In case you are actually interested in the truth instead of spreading BS on the board, my personal agenda is actually that I want our national team to have a good, competent coach who will help us play to our potential and qualify for the World Cup.

Under Holger Canada won both the North American Championship and finished with a winning record something that not a lot of Canadian coaches have achieved. Yes he failed in WCQ like the others except for Waiters (our most successful coach to date). Unlike coaches like Yallop and Lenarduzzi who were total failures, Osieck had partial success even though he failed to reach the ultimate goal. His abrassive personality was his undoing but he was in my opinion the only decent coach we have had since Waiters. Note, that I call him decent not excellent or outstanding merely competent. I would like us to hire a coach who is better than Osieck and far better than Yallop or Hart. Mitchell by any standard has been very successful at the U-20 level but would still be a gamble at the Men's level and in my opinion we need to stop gambling and hire someone we know will do a good job.

I don't necessarily want a defensive coach either (in fact I want a winning coach, ie. a coach who can win with the players we have available regardless of his method) but I do want someone who will attach more importance to the defence than Yallop or Hart. Strangely enough an awful lot of other posters commented on how disorganized we looked in the Hungary game thread before I had posted anything so I guess there are an awful lot of people who also have an agenda. How anyone can support Hart for the job is beyond me. What exactly are his qualifications other than the three games as interim coach? Where has he had success as a coach and at what level? I gave him credit on another thread for bringing back some of our disaffected players but otherwise he has been a big step down from even the coaching level of my less than favourite guy Yallop. Great record he has so far, a lucky win against a Jamaica B-side, a loss against a stronger Jamaica side and a loss against an experimental young team from a mediocre European soccer nation. Lets hire that guy for sure! 1 win and 2 loses against less than stellar opposition. By the way: could have won, looked good, if we didn't miss those chances, if we didn't make that mistake, it was a close game that could have either way, we almost qualified; doesn't cut it in soccer and I am not going to buy such arguments from either Hart or Yallop supporters. Give me a coach that wins and I will support him all the way.

Incidentally, Mr. Soccer Expert, you still haven't answered my earlier question in this thread so I will repeat it:

Who are all the superstars that Jamaica and T&T have who are better than all of our players?

Seems like your player evaluation abilities are on par with your coaching evaluation abilities.

Guys that don't have any reasonable arguments usually resort to baseless accusations.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Lars was called up for the Hungary match last week, but turned it down due to injury.

Your useless little diatribes are nothing more than trolling at this point and should be dealt with as such.

*yawns* Lars has not played for Canada in almost 2 years, the only 2 times he has been called in the last 10 games was when he was injured. All 8 times he was healthy he was ignored, often for much inferior indidivuals like Statamopolous. Amazing coincidence, but enough to satisfy the naive and clueless, which I am not among. Continue living in your own world of naivety and stupidity which is the only world people that believe Lars has been part of the Canadian program for the last 2 years or ever will be again live in.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Can't speak to the issue of superstars, but it's not to hard to get a sense of how teams compare. You would think that really good players would be playing it the top leagues, and lesser players in lower leagues and lower ranked teams.

Below is a list of the T&T roster for the World Cup with their home clubs and a similar list for Canada's roster against Hungary, with a few no shows added. I don't know enough about league and team rankings to say much, but they both have a couple of EPL players, some CL players, some MLS players and some domestic league players. The T&T roster has probably changed, but, equally probably, not dramatically.

[b]Trinidad and Tobago[/b]

Hislop Shaka	        FC Dallas

Cox,Ian 	        Gillingham

John Avery 	        New England Revolution

Andrews Marvin 	        Glasgow Rangers

Sancho Brent 	        Gillingham

Lawrence Dennis 	Wrexham AFC

Birchall Christopher 	Port Vale

Gray Cyd 	        CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh

Whitley Aurtis 	        CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh

Latapy Russell 	        Falkirk FC

Edwards Carlos 	        Luton Town

Samuel Collin 	        Dundee United

Glen Cornell 	        LA Galaxy

John Stern 	        Derby County

Jones Kenwyne 	        Southampton

Wise Evans	        Waldhof Mannheim

Charles Atiba 	        Vibe CT 105 W Connection

Theobald Densill 	Falkirk FC

Yorke Dwight 	        Sydney FC

Scotland Jason 	        St Johnstone

Jack Kelvin (Gk)	Dundee FC

Ince Clayton (Gk)	Coventry City

Wolfe Anthon	        CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh

[b]Canada[/b]

Bernier, Patrice	Tromso

Braz, Adam	        Montreal Impact

de Guzman, Julian 	Deportivo da Coruña

de Rosario, Dwayne	Houston Dynamo

Friend, Rob	        Heerenveen

Hainault, Andrew	FK SIAD Most

Hume, Iain 	        Leicester City

Hutchinson, Atiba	FC Copenhagen

Jazic, Ante 	        L.A. Galaxy

Nakajima, Issey-Farran	Vejle Boldklub

Nsaliwa, Tam	        Palonius

Ornoch, Andrzej	        Papa Lombard FC

Peters, Jaime	        Ipswich Town

Pozniak, Chris	        Haugesund FK

Radzinski, Tomasz 	Fulham

Serioux, Adrian 	Houston Dynamo

Stalteri, Paul	        Tottenham Hotspur FC

Sutton, Greg	        Montreal Impact

Wagenaar, Josh	        ADO Den Haag

It would be possible to do this for every contender except Cuba. If they didn't prefer baseball, basketball and volley ball (and athletics) to soccer, it would be very tough indeed for anyone to qualify.

A neutral observer would have to conclude that we have players at a higher level than T&T (when you also consider several top flight players are off our latest list).

It's all about coaching, preparation and (perhaps not last) luck.

I took my time to respond just to see how clear people are thinking.

Now let me make something clear, I like Dale Mitchel as a coach but I believe he is very defensive, which is something I do not like.

Lets look at Canada over the last 6 years. Forget where the players are playing, Canada's record in CONCACAF is poor. Struggling against teams like Panama, Cuba, Martinique and Trinidad. Be it Holger or Yallop as coach. These countries may not boast players in La Liga, Bundesliga or Premier but they do have proven players who score goals in CONCACAF. Canada has no one to do that since Catlif & Mitchel. Just look at Stern John record at an International level. No amount of coaching can make up for a lack of a proven goal scorer. Anyone in football will tell you that. Look at Barca without Eto or Arsenal without Henry, Brazil with an out of form Ronaldo. Coaching is limited to the players available. Carlos Perriera could not hold down a team for more than one year after winning the WC in 94. Why because Saudi Arabia and Metro Stars did not have the players. If you deny what I say then why did Berti Vogts fail with Scotland. He was very successful with Germany.

All I am saying when I started this thread is that Canada still needs better players in key areas of the field,. If this does not happen Canada's top scorer in the last 5 years will remain McKenna.

Sorry if I hurt peoples feelings

Well Berti Vogts failed in Scotland because he misunderstood Scottish football, footballers and their fans. Basicaly, he suffered from Frankie Yallop Syndrome. Wishing he could play a certain way in spite of what he had and not playing with what he had in a certain way, if you follow. Add the infinate layers of politics which come with managing a national squad in a mature footballing nation like Scotland (not Canada) as an outsider and you can see the problems long before they start.

I'd say your argument around our (Canada's) inability to overcome our smaller CONCACAF opponents has been taken very readily to heart. It's taken decades but the CSA has finaly learned from the CONCACAF experience that a core of players, journeymen if you well, familiar with each other and like minded in their play being supported/complimented by overseas "ringers" may be the way to go.

And so, enter this MLS scheme which so many Voyageurs either love or hate.

Totaly agree about the goal scoring bit. Will give you that. How the ball goes into the goal is neither here nor there though. That during the last WCQ cycle our manager completely turned his back on Canada's one advantage over EVERY OTHER CONCACAF NATION (ie the air war) in favour of the Dwayne de Rossario Show I'll never understand. But ah well. I feel no shame in having the like of Big Kev McKenna as Canada's goal scoring poster boy. He's Canadian from toe to crown and theres no mistaking it.

P.S. Small correction. Gotta give the Devil his due, the Yanks are pretty damned good in the air too.

Whether Berti Vogts is a good coach or not is very debateable. His only coaching success was a good run when what was a very good German national team won the EURO yet for most of his reign the German results were very disappointing particularly in the World Cup. Vogts left the job as probably the most unpopular coach with both fans and players in German history. He followed this up with disasterous stints with Bayer Leverkusen and Scotland. At Leverkusen one of his former national team players even gave him the finger on the field when he played against Leverkusen summing up the feeling of most national team players towards him. I personally think that Vogts is a very poor coach who was lucky to coach a top team and have one good run with them. A poor coach can often have success with a top team but a good coach is one who can elevate a team of any level to perform beyond their means.

Once again ANC2 you have not backed up your claim that either T and T or Jamaica have superior players to ours. I do think T and T has a superior strike force to ours in Stern John and Dwight Yorke but both are at the end of their careers and the rest of the team is not that impressive. Yet during the one great success of their nation's national team they were indeed playing under one of the World's Elite coaches in Leo Beenhakker (has won both the Dutch and Spanish championships three times each and also had significant international experience) and this contributed greatly to their success. You may be right that we can't afford a Beenhakker but that doesn't change the fact that TnT qualified for the WC playing under a top international coach not under someone like Stephen Hart. Once again I ask, who are these superior TnT and Jamaican national team players?

Some may argue that T&T success was more down to the return of Latapy , Yorke and John's form at the right time, plus Warner :D & Luck. They were all but out against Guatemala until a piece of Latapy magic and then a final game against Mexico who already qualified and once again John was the man. Presently they still have John, Jones, Seely and Glenn all who can score goals.

Now Jamaica

Ricardo Gardner - Bolton Wonderers

Claude Davis - Sheffield United

Donovan Ricketts - Bradford City

Jermaine Johnson - Bradford City

Damion Stewart - Queens Park Rangers

Ricardo Fuller - Southampton FC

Jason Euell - Charlton Athletic

Jamal Campbell-Ryce - Watford City

Kevin Lisbie - Charlton

Marlon King - Watford

Damien Francis - Watford

Grant -Watford

Deon Burton

Ian Goodison - Tranmere Rover

Now tell me if these players have more attacking potential.

Jamaica may have more attacking players, but Fuller (now at Stoke) is the only one with a decent strike rate and I wouldn't be too worried about the likes of him. Radzinski will score in the championship next season, and Paul P has been doing it for years, as is Hume. It doesn't translate to international football. Also, with the exception of Euell (Nnow at Boro), the premiership guys who are playing are all going to be relegated from the looks of things.

Archived