Canadians abroad: November 17-23, 2006

DJT

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The video has been posted, you can take a look, the first goal was the PK, the second is a shot at point blank and the third is a deflected shot. He wasn't to be blame for the last 2 goals IMO.

Link?

Can't find it on the page...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh is not to blame on any of the goals. Playing games with crowds like this will at least prepare him for Central America. The ref seems to be below CONCACAF quality. The red looks like a dive to me. I am at a loss to see what the penalty was for. It seems like the ref is calling a handball in the box but I can't see one at all on the video and even if there was one it was surely ball to hand not otherwise.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman once again not even called into the line-up for Deportivo, but they falter, losing at home to regional rival Celta Vigo 0-1. They have fallen well out of the UEFA spots and I would think that Caparrós can't keep ignoring Julian, who I imagine was not called into the mix because he lost practice days with our nats.

Guest Jeffery S.

Issey played 90 as one of two strikers as Velje got a good draw against AaB Aalborg, 1-1. Think he had a hand in the goal, he was carded late. Vejle are second last, still deep into relegation zone but a little less so as one of the rivals above lost, think they are 6 point away now from the desired spot.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar started and got two second half yellows as Gondomar held on away to a scoreless draw vs. Liga de Honra leaders Feirense, in Portugal 2nd division action.

Very tight 2nd tier in Portugal this year, as Gondomar is only 6 points off the lead after 10 games but still in 12th out of 16 teams.

Sigma, dont want to split hairs but after 15 games, Most is in 12th not 13th. Not that it makes a huge difference but at the end of the season, finishing 14th instead 15th is a worl of difference.

Cheers.

Tabulka

1 Sparta 15 17:6 30

2 Liberec 15 21:8 29

3 M.Boles. 15 23:15 29

4 Slavia 14 21:12 25

5 Brno 15 13:11 24

6 Teplice 15 26:18 23

7 Jablonec 15 17:15 22

8 È.Budìj. 14 17:18 22

9 Ostrava 15 21:20 20

10 Plzeò 15 16:19 18

11 Kladno 15 16:22 18

12 Most 15 18:23 15

13 Olomouc 15 14:20 15

14 Pøíbram 15 11:19 12

15 Zlín 15 8:21 10

16 Slovácko 15 9:21 7

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Atiba Hutchinson starts for FC Copenhagen who are in Portugal for tonight's clash against Benfica. Benfica and Copenhagen each have 4 points, tied for last and two points behind Celtic in Group F.

It's 3-0 now at halftime for Benfica, doesn't look too good for FCK.

Congrats..A very deserved win for a Benfica team that did what they needed to do and also scored some nice goals ..

The winter break has just started in Danish league and to be honest it looked like the FCK players had already packed their bags and gone on vacation. FCK cant be happy at all about how they played.. This was simply an off-day by all the players except for Grønkjaer.

Non-excistent defensive play in the first half and very poor passes right to Benfica players even when they were not under pressure. Worst game ever by Linderoth in midfield. Like the rest of the team Atiba was not of much use in this match either. Only Grønkjaer did the job you could expect of him.

After sifting through the match info for the FCK vs Benfica match, it looks like Atiba had a good match, as several fouls were commited against him. However he missed the target on two occassions :(

11' Petit (Benfica) commits a foul after challenging Hutchinson (København).

13' Hutchinson (København) misses the target.

47' Katsouranis (Benfica) commits a foul after challenging Hutchinson (København).

70' Nuno Gomes (Benfica) commits a foul after challenging Hutchinson (København).

78' Hutchinson (København) misses the target.

85' Simão (Benfica) gives away a free-kick following a challenge on Hutchinson

quote:Originally posted by massimo

After sifting through the match info for the FCK vs Benfica match, it looks like Atiba had a good match, as several fouls were commited against him. However he missed the target on two occassions :(

11' Petit (Benfica) commits a foul after challenging Hutchinson (København).

13' Hutchinson (København) misses the target.

47' Katsouranis (Benfica) commits a foul after challenging Hutchinson (København).

70' Nuno Gomes (Benfica) commits a foul after challenging Hutchinson (København).

78' Hutchinson (København) misses the target.

85' Simão (Benfica) gives away a free-kick following a challenge on Hutchinson

His shots on goal were way off target and he also gave away the ball in midfield several times without being under pressure.. So no, he looked like he was on vacation like the rest of the team (except for Grønkjaer).

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Their European adventure is over for this season.

Yes, unfortunately Celtic beat Man United, so that even a win in FCK's last home match against Celtic wont help the progress even to the UEFA Cup. However, it is still very important that FCK win this last match since it will do them good in the ranking and get them a better seeding in the future... and then it will also more or less secure that Denmark earn an extra Europa cup spot..

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Their European adventure is over for this season.

Really? The commentators stated they would still have a shot at the UEFA Cup spot even if they lost. Maybe they were thinking Celtic would lose... But if Benfica get smoked by Man U (say 4-0, I know it is a long shot) and FCK beat up on Celtic (say 3-0, again I realize it will not happen) would København take the third spot?

I guess it really does not matter as it will not happen...

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Really? The commentators stated they would still have a shot at the UEFA Cup spot even if they lost. Maybe they were thinking Celtic would lose... But if Benfica get smoked by Man U (say 4-0, I know it is a long shot) and FCK beat up on Celtic (say 3-0, again I realize it will not happen) would København take the third spot?

I guess it really does not matter as it will not happen...

Champions League :

--------------------

Group stage, Group F

--------------------

P  W  D  L  F-A Pts

Celtic                    5  3  0  2  7-6  9

Manchester United         5  3  0  2  7-4  9

---------------------------------------------

Benfica                   5  2  1  2  6-5  7

---------------------------------------------

[b]FC København[/b]              5  1  1  3  2-7  4

Unfortunately it is so that if FCK beat Celtic, then they finish with 7 points. Not enough to catch up with Celtic or United and since FCK only managed to get a 0-0 result at home against Benfica, then it is benfica who progress to the UEFA cup if both teams finish at 7 points. The goal difference then wont matter.

Also, Celtic are now 100% sure to progress to the next stage of CL even it they lose their last match in Copenhagen, since they lost 2-3 away and won 1-0 at home against United. It's Celtic's two away goals in Manchester deciding that they finish ahead of United, so that if United lose at home to Benfica in their last match, then Celtic and Benfica progress, while United is left with the UEFA cup spot.

but as written, then it is still very important that FCK win their last match at home against celtic since it will do them good in the ranking and get them a better seeding in the future, besides that it more or less secure that Denmark earn an extra UEFA cup spot..

Archived