Chat with Mo Johnston

jonovision

ESPN.com is hosting a live chat with Toronto FC head coach Mo Johnston tomorrow at 2 pm ET.

All you Toronto FC-heads might want to check in at that time or stop by early and most a question:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=13649

ESPN.com usually locks down its chat transcripts for subscribers only a minute or two after they are over, so if somebody wanted to cut + paste the transcript once it's over, that would be nice.

Short chat, nothing too interesting:

SportsNation Buzzmaster: (2:15 PM ET ) We're getting Mo. He's just finishing up a phone call right now.

SportsNation Buzzmaster: (2:15 PM ET ) But send in your questions NOW!

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:18 PM ET ) He's here!

mo houston,TX: how is the soccer environment in toronto?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:18 PM ET ) Very vibrant. Very upbeat. For me, the media attention is very similar to Scotland, actually. At my press conference, we had 17 TV cameras and I haven't seen that since Scotland.

Keith (Draper, UT): Mo, in the draft, will you be looking for established veterans or young guys with big upside to build your team?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:19 PM ET ) There's a lot of both in there. As you know the draft is very thin. We're looking at finding 4-5 guys that can start off the bat.

Matthew (Acworth, GA): Hey Mo! Good luck to your team next year. After looking what's available to be selected tomorrow, do you think you could create the majority of a starting 11 from those players, and compete in MLS?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:20 PM ET ) Not at all. There are certain guys we're looking at. On Tuesday we'll announce that we're going to sign some Canadian internationalists. But so far, some have to decline because they're under contract.

Matt (Iowa) : So what can you tell us about your draft strategy tomorrow? What sort of style do you expect Toronto FC to play?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:21 PM ET ) We know what the style is going to be. We know which players to target and if we get the right players, we could be very attractive.

Luis (Dallas, TX): Coach, how many players are you looking to get from your open tryouts in December? Will there be more open tryouts available next year?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:22 PM ET ) To be honest for you, it's been ridiculous. We've had 750 sign up for the tryouts. Hopefully we can sign one or two. It can only be beneficial for the people in Toronto. We're having them come in and tryout for the organization that will be successful for many years to come.

Jamaal (Mt Laurel, NJ ): Hey Mo, what are yout thoughts about some of the young players (Freddie Adu) possibly leaving MLS for Manchester Utd or other Premiership teams?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:24 PM ET ) The grass is not always greener on the other side. Sometimes it becomes difficult to win a starting place. Some kids leave early. This is the stomping grounds for kids to prove themselves and establish themselves. Sometimes they go overseas and get lost. The product here is very good. Learn your trade here if that's what you want and then go when your 26-27.

Jason, Queens: How familiar are you with the Canadian National Team players in Europe? Will you make any attempt at securing top young talent like, say, a Jaime Peters of Ipswich Town?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:25 PM ET ) I'm very familiary with them. I watched them last year very closely. I went to the U20 training camp. You become familiar with them all. I've been to training camp in Florida. I'm very familiar with them.

Rob Toronto, Canada: Happy to see you as HC of Toronto FC, Mo! Are you looking for a specific style of player either in the expansion draft or open market? What sort of system do you intend to implement? Thanks and good luck.

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:27 PM ET ) No, I'm just looking for quality, not quantity. For me, obviously, you look to secure the best soccer players possible and hopefully you can blend them in together as a team. But it doesn't stop after tomorrow. We'll be looking to add some more players after that.

nate (ashland,ohio): How has already coaching in the MLS effected the way you are appoaching this job?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:29 PM ET ) It doesn't. When you're in charge for 17 games, I was fortunate to coach at the end and get them into the playoffs, versus trying to build something. It takes time to build something it doesn't happen overnight. Coaching a team for 17 games and the way it came around, I'm more than happy in where I am. It's a wonderful organization. I've moved on as a person and as a coach. I was fortunate to coach the MetroStars and the Red Bull. In the good times you become stronger as well as the bad times.

Alex Houston Tx: Since expansion teams dont historicly win right away are you going to take a chance on young talents in the expansion draft such as Stuart Holden who showed he isnt afraid of pressure situations by burrying a pk in the mls cup shootout

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:30 PM ET ) I'm looking to the future. It doesn't bother me with that pressure. Life's too short to worry about those things. I've got the great organization around me. We'll be signing young players and quality players. We'll be jelling together. I'm looking forward to it. It does take a lot of time.

Timmy (Niger): What in your opinion does the US team need to be legit competitiors in the world cup?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:32 PM ET ) Obviously, you're on the biggest stage in the world. I think they've done a wonderful job. In 94, they did a wonderful job and put the American soccer on the stage. Bruce Arena took over and moved them on. This past tournament it was tough. It was a tough group. It's hard to rebound against tough teams.

Brodie Bruce (Norfolk, VA): Who are the three footballers you enjoy watching that are not playing in MLS right now?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:33 PM ET ) Ronaldhino is a wonderful player. Wayne Rooney. They are two players that excite you. There are certain players that are very exciting to watch. Kaka.

Roofus (Iceland): How did you start your career?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:34 PM ET ) My dad was a professional soccer player. He used to play with a man named Pat Quinn. He was a coach and he asked me to come in and play because they were short on numbers. I came in and scored a couple of goals and the rest is history.

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:35 PM ET ) We're looking at building a strong unit. We're looking forward to the MLS season. Thanks for chatting.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Luis (Dallas, TX): Coach, how many players are you looking to get from your open tryouts in December? Will there be more open tryouts available next year?

SportsNation Mo Johnston: (2:22 PM ET ) To be honest for you, it's been ridiculous. We've had 750 sign up for the tryouts. Hopefully we can sign one or two. It can only be beneficial for the people in Toronto. We're having them come in and tryout for the organization that will be successful for many years to come.

750! Good god! Well, that is going to be a bit of a chore for them.

db

Archived