Want to be on "Inside Soccer Radio"?

DJT

We're looking for a volunteer to represent the Voyageurs on Inside Soccer Radio on Saturday, November 18 at some time between 5:00 and 9:00 PM Eastern.

You may recall that Matt Bin represented the Voyageurs on the show in July 2005. At least one other request for an appearance followed, but nothing came of it when no one volunteered. A few other Voyageurs have been on the show, but as independent fans, not as Voyageurs.

They haven't specified what they want to talk about, but it's probably safe to assume that it will be the current hot topics: the CEO/TD/coach situation, Toronto FC, U20 WC, etc. There might also be something about the Voyageurs.

Be forewarned thay they will likely give you a hard time, to say the least. You probably won't just have to talk about Canadian soccer, you will likely have to defend Canadian soccer (and the Voyageurs). It's their hosting style, I guess. Unfortunately it seems that the show archives for 2005 are no longer available so you can't listen to Matt's appearance to see what I mean (though I have a copy if really necessary), but here is the thread in which we talked about it. Remember that, whatever happens, you will be representing the Voyageurs!

If you are interested then contact Matt at mattbin|at|gmail|dot|com.

Just a thought:

As the Voyageurs become more popular, and are slowly becoming more recognized through our presence at Canadian Soccer games, and the Voyageurs Cup, do you think maybe it's time that we had some type of structure, especially for things like this?

I'd do the show, but what if my opinions don't reflect the Voyageurs(that, and I'm not in Canada, but that's not the point)?

Is there anyway that we can establish some type of leadership, or go-to people that can act on our behalf in situations like this, rather than just throw it out to the rest of us? Maybe some of the senior members of the Club can be designated.

Hi guys,

Thanks DJT for putting this up for me.

RJB, you are absolutely correct (and I've said the same in previous threads about our organization's structure (such as it is)).

The reason I was originally contacted is that my name is on innumerable press releases for the Voyageurs Cup. I'm still officially the communications contact, though DJT has taken over many of the duties as my own career and other writing pursuits have taken me away from a lot of the stuff I used to be able to get involved in. And I don't mind representing the Voyageurs, and I know that I can do so to everyone's advantage, and without pissing too many of you guys off. I hope.

However, as I discussed with DJT today, I'm really not in tune with what the Voyageurs are thinking these days. I come by when a big event happens (match days, Kevan's ouster, etc) and try to catch up, but I'm not a daily reader any more. I probably will be again some day, but while my professional and volunteer duties take up so much of my time, I just can't.

So I don't want to go on air and say something stupid, or get blindsided by any topic I'm not familiar with. I don't know what the various points of view are for most topics (though, I admit, I've been around long enough to know what Fury, G-L, DJT, Jeffrey, and a few others will think... ;) )

What we need (at least for this week) is someone who:

- can talk for about 15 minutes on Saturday afternoon about Canadian soccer

- will be enthusiastic, energetic, and positive about Canadian soccer, and can speak clearly and intelligently

- knows what the current issues and stories are, and what the Voyageurs think of them

- knows a lot about soccer, Canadian soccer, and the CSA, and can defend Canadian soccer where necessary, and condemn it where necessary

For those of you who were listening last year, you'll recognise that this is more a wish list than a description of my performance.

Anyhow, yeah, please drop me a line if you're interested, and we'll talk. James, I'll be honest and say I don't really know you at all (as I say, I've been pretty scarce around here since I got employment where they actually expect me to, you know, work). But the fact you're interested makes you a great candidate. Let me know!

Cheers all,

M@

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

[br

- knows what the current issues and stories are, and what the Voyageurs think of them

I think that this is the key. Can a member at large speak on behalf of the Voyageurs? What can we do in terms of nominating a spokesperson? Someone who will speak on behalf of the Voyageurs, rather than give their opinion, and call it the Voyageurs.

In my opinion, the members in the 1000 plus post category generally seem to have their finger on the pulse, and that's why I think it should be a senior member.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I think that this is the key. Can a member at large speak on behalf of the Voyageurs? What can we do in terms of nominating a spokesperson? Someone who will speak on behalf of the Voyageurs, rather than give their opinion, and call it the Voyageurs.

In my opinion, the members in the 1000 plus post category generally seem to have their finger on the pulse, and that's why I think it should be a senior member.

I agree with RJB. The only problem is, can any one person really articulate what the Voyageurs are thinking for a particular topic? This board constantly rages with debate and a single unified voice would be, in my estimation, almost impossible to define.

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

James, I'll be honest and say I don't really know you at all (as I say, I've been pretty scarce around here since I got employment where they actually expect me to, you know, work). But the fact you're interested makes you a great candidate. Let me know!

No, really I am not a good candidate at all. I am very new here. If no one else volunteered, then you I could be the last resort. But as someone else has already volunteered, that rules me out. Maybe when I have been around for a little bit longer I could go on the show.

I nominate Grizzly with the proviso that he label Yallop a traitor live with the San Diego crew. That'll go down with them as I recall them fawning quite noticably over Frankie in past interviews.

There are a lot of guys on this forum who would represent us well, and everyone who has been suggested would be most welcome.

I don't think it's necessary to articulate one composite view on any topic. I think it would be better, in fact, to say "Well, I see Yallop as a traitor. But there are a lot of Voyageurs who see him as a scum-sucking traitor, and there's a lot of debate on the subject." Speaking of which, calling him a traitor would probably make for some AWESOME radio. That would be really great. (Be prepared for an argument though!)

Anyhow, an informed and current Voyageur who can respond to many different subjects would be ideal. I haven't heard anyone volunteer yet, so if someone wants to come forward, sooner would be better than later. If I don't get back to Brian by tomorrow it will probably be too late.

But it's not like it's really difficult at all -- think of it as trolling a Sam's Army forum. From that perspective, it'd probably be kinda fun.

M@

P.S. Hat tip to redhat. Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Just a thought:

As the Voyageurs become more popular, and are slowly becoming more recognized through our presence at Canadian Soccer games, and the Voyageurs Cup, do you think maybe it's time that we had some type of structure, especially for things like this?

I'd do the show, but what if my opinions don't reflect the Voyageurs(that, and I'm not in Canada, but that's not the point)?

Is there anyway that we can establish some type of leadership, or go-to people that can act on our behalf in situations like this, rather than just throw it out to the rest of us? Maybe some of the senior members of the Club can be designated.

Speaking of which...

On the General Discussion Thread, the results of the very informal poll on whether or not the Voyageurs should be a formal organization are 10 - 2 in favour (as of November 15).

The reasons for are; influence development of the game, we're already a large group, give us credibility, the sport needs a fan based movement, have special deals for bulk ticket sales/travel, more prominent supporter sections, lobby media, serve as talent scouts, contact for players, coaches, fundraising.

The favoured type of organization seems to be; a non-profit society with a National Board, specific positions (treasurer, CSA liason, media liason), local boards, small membership fees, voting rights, newsletter, clear mandate, long and short term projects with timelines.

quote:Originally posted by River City

The favoured type of organization seems to be; a non-profit society with a National Board, specific positions (treasurer, CSA liason, media liason), local boards, small membership fees, voting rights, newsletter, clear mandate, long and short term projects with timelines.

I am very curious how many would pay a small fee. 25? 50? 200? 1000?

How many active posters are there on this board anyways?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I nominate Grizzly with the proviso that he label Yallop a traitor live with the San Diego crew. That'll go down with them as I recall them fawning quite noticably over Frankie in past interviews.

I nomininate myself for the same reason :). They are indeed very fawning about Yallop probably because they are buddies with Yallop. They always seem to present it as Yallop having had a mission imposible with Canada and that the team/CSA let him down not that he let us down. Not sure that I would be the best person to represent the average Voyageur viewpoint. Maybe GL, Daniel, WF, Gordon or Rudi would be better. I would do it though if it were after 7 pm Saturday if noone else is willing.

Guest Jeffery S.

I would do it, but think any of the regular posters would be able to differentiate between their particular opinions on specific subjects and the general view. I think most of us could express both sides of the argument on Yallop, on Canadian leagues vs clubs in a North American structure, regarding the advantages of Canucks in Europe, the pros and possible cons of FC Toronto, etc, the successes and failures of the CSA, and so on.

The question, as suggested, is to be a bit polemical and take a slightly harder line that we would see from the mainstream press, as it is the only way to express that we are not conformist, defeatist or cynical about our sport or its national teams. As a fan supporter group we should at least come across as passionate and positive, as well as demanding, if that does not come across, and if we are unable to respond to the bullcrap we often here, there is no point in even going on the radio.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I would do it, but think any of the regular posters would be able to differentiate between their particular opinions on specific subjects and the general view. I think most of us could express both sides of the argument on Yallop, on Canadian leagues vs clubs in a North American structure, regarding the advantages of Canucks in Europe, the pros and possible cons of FC Toronto, the successes and failures of the CSA, and so on.

The question, as suggested, is to be a bit polemical and take a slightly harder line that we would see from the mainstream press, as it is the only way to express that we are not conformist, defeatist or cynical about our sport or its national teams. As a fan supporter group we should at least come across as passionate and positive, as well as demanding; if that does not come across, and if we are unable to respond to the bullcrap we often hear, there is no point in even going on the radio.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The question, as suggested, is to be a bit polemical and take a slightly harder line that we would see from the mainstream press, as it is the only way to express that we are not conformist, defeatist or cynical about our sport or its national teams. As a fan supporter group we should at least come across as passionate and positive, as well as demanding, if that does not come across, and if we are unable to respond to the bullcrap we often here, there is no point in even going on the radio.

Hard to argue against that. But harder to measure out the dosage if you follow. Don't want to come off as a nutter.

If there's one constant across the board on this forum it's that we all seem to be, posters and lurkers alike, much more demanding of the CSA (and it's properties at large) than the CSA is of itself. At least until recently anyway.

Anyway, there is a lot to talk about in Canadian football. Especially of late, and much of it positive. Yallop's old news already but if it were to come up there's no harm in pointing out Canadian fans on this site, even amongst his supporters, have a far less rosey view of his brief tenure than a good many others within the football establishment and circles.

Would give it a go as I think it could be a hoot but 1). This weekend is just plain bad for me 2). How do you follow up Mattbin's show from last year? He was genius. And finaly 3). I'd come off as a nutter.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, but in all honesty I'm much more 'U-Sector' than I am 'Voyageurs' these days.

Not that it matters, as I believe the deadline has passed, but in the future I wouldn't feel as comfortable speaking on behalf of the Voyageurs as a whole as I would speaking on behalf of U-Sector. Even then, Ryan or Sean Keay would be my first choices if a Toronto-area guy was selected.

As for the Vees becoming a "real" organization, it may be tough given the spread-out nature of the board. It's a lot easier for the Southsiders, Montreal Ultras or U-Sector to organize as tghose groups could easily congregate in person and bounce ideas off each other. I know this is the digital age, but there is something to be said for the trust that is built when you're able to meet someone in person rather than as simply a message board handle.

Just my two cents.

Archived