Hungary v Canada - post-match [R]

DJT

Julian, Brennan, and Simpson can take them too, but are better at trying to pick out Mckenna/Friend/Occean/deVos types, than at going for goal.

Hume/Grande have never scored off a free kick for the MNT and until that happens i wont consider them 'fantastic'. has anyone ever scored directly from a free kick for canada?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Julian, Brennan, and Simpson can take them too, but are better at trying to pick out Mckenna/Friend/Occean/deVos types, than at going for goal.

Hume/Grande have never scored off a free kick for the MNT and until that happens i wont consider them 'fantastic'. has anyone ever scored directly from a free kick for canada?

Hume hit the post twice (2003 U20s v Spain and v Wales) and Grande has scored a few with the Impact in 2004-2005.

I guess you can't count Hume as a scorer since he's only scored 1 with the seniors. Right? It's poor reasoning.

I think Canada did not play this match to win but to test out new players. A lot of our regular players are getting older and we are setting sights on the 2010 world cup. Because of this we need to decide early in the game which young players we can count on. If the point of the game was to win a friendly I think De Rosario & Pat Onstad would have been added to the roster and De Guzman would have played the entire game.

Marcel De Jong had one in Holland that was a bit soft. Edgar narrowly missed in the same tourney, with a lot more action on the ball.

My memory fails me in my old age, but I don't recall DeRo taking to many cracks at goal for the MNT on free kicks. As for Grande, I don't necessarily see him on my list of the 18 I'd call right now. Although he seems to be a reverse of Hume, where he plays better for the MNT than for his club. His appearance in Costa Rica was very impressive, and Spain was a good one too, IIRC.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

If you want to go way, way back both Gerry Gray and Dale Mitchell have.

Hume's got a great right foot. And a decent left foot as well. Actually came up just the other day. Was saying outside of Jim Brennan and Radz (who's naturaly right footed of course) I'd have to say Ian Hume and/or Josh Simpson have the best left peg of any of the current Canadians. Considering JB and Josh are both left footed players that's a pretty good compliment. Just my opinion of course.

And yeah, Grande scored an absolutely beautiful goal against Spain. Not a dead ball situation, but on an international date with a lot of compitition it still made the highlight reels world wide.

It is also good Waagenar played well. I hope the corrupt CSA lets him take over from the other 2 Canadian goalkeepers Sutton and Statamopolous. He is young and gradualy improving his club situation unlike the other 2. It will be interesting which one of the 3 starts at the Gold Cup, and which 2 of the 3 are called.

I don't know about that ranking stuff,but I do know that when i grew up in Holland ,Hungary was the team of dreams.One of the most memorable games was the one between England and Hungary.The first time that England was beaten at home and at Wembley!.The game was televised right across europe and received a tremendous build up. I knew every player on that Hungarian team and yes Puskas was one of them.This game was the introduction to televised soccer right across europe.This game opened many eyes and many young aspiring players were the result. So if someone speaks about Hungary well, these guys were totally amazing. That history is still there and for our guys to get this result and in Hungary is fantastic.

I thought our guys are very good and very creative as wel and as skillfull as any of the Hungarians. This was not the case even ten years ago. So we have come a long way and guys i know we are very good.

Yes Kocsis, Puskas, Hidegkuti,Bozsik, Grosics, Czibor, etc were absolutely amazing, maybe the best all time. However trust me as a close follower of Hungarian soccer, that while Canada has made some strides, this Hungarian team has taken a nose dive to the bottom and losing only 1:0 to them is not a sign that Canada has arrived.

Just when Hungarians think it cannot get worse it always does. In the 1950s we were the best. In the 1960s and 70s we were contenders, in the 80s good underdogs, in the 90s no major event qualifications even, and 00s we cannot even beat Malta. We also lost to Iceland a few times. Hungarian soccer has sank to the bottom of the pool, I guess that is why we are good in water polo now lol.

Hungary has not made any apperances in a World Cup or a European Championship since 1986.

It is indeed very strange and I am sure even a lot stranger to all the Hungarians to witness this demise in world standings. Never figured this one out and come to think of it there are very few Hungarians that play in the top leagues. It is funny that the last match I saw Holland play in Rotterdam is was against Hungary and the Dutch at that time had VanBasten,Gullit,Koeman,Vanenberg,Van't Schip,etc, a world class team. The score was very close I believe 2-1 for the good guys.

Anyway i guess the regime etc had a lot to do with this team and it's current rankings. I wonder if there is some type of reason behind all this.

There are many reasons and I could go on about it for a long time. Yes money has a lot to do with it that was available in the communist days but not now. Also the most famous Hungarian team Ferencvaros (Kocsis, Albert, Varga etc all played there) are now bankrupt and may even fold. And yes not too many Hungarians are playing in top teams in Europe.

Also often a generation of greats brings on the next generation because it inspires the youngsters to practice and also there will be more fonding. Look at how in hockey there was Patrick Roy and soon after a bunch of goalies from Quebec. Or how Anna Kournakova got fame and soon many of the top female tennis players are Russian. etc. The Hungarian youth are not as into soccer now as in the past.

That is why if we could only have a golden generation of Canadian crop then it would be easier to just follow it up all the time. Perhaps this u-20 Canadian team since they are getting the aid necessary with the tournament being at home. This is why I think this u-20 World Cup is sooo absolutely crucial for us.

It still maqkes no sense after these truly amazing years in world soccer. The Mayars were the

be all and end all in soccer. At least that's what I believed. There is a story here that needs to be told. The fall of Hungarian soccer. It is not something I cherish at all,but the lessons are so immenseley important to all of us. From being no 1 to no 70 something is just about impossible to explain.I am curious that no one ever brought this up and kind of accepted this. Anyway being ab Hungarian and a soccer player I would be pied of big time. I am very sorry to have this brought up and if you know my feelings about Hungarian soccer and these guys I guess you may forgive me. Hey i even once stormed the Russian Embassy in the Hague after they pulled that stunt in Hungary. Never done that before or after.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

It still maqkes no sense after these truly amazing years in world soccer. The Mayars were the

be all and end all in soccer. At least that's what I believed. There is a story here that needs to be told. The fall of Hungarian soccer.

John - I understand the Hungarian media is to blame!

heck of a good guess. I still wonder what happened there. i think it's the goulash, they must have changed it drastically.But still, i really believe that there is a lesson to be learned. Did they become complacent,was it the Commie regime, the aftermath of the revolution.

The media was state controlled so maybe you may have a point. Soccer is the type of game that allows total freedom anyway,but I doubt that one very much.

Archived