Calgary

MIFTHEBINO

We may not have a pro team but if you are coming over next summer the group hosted by Canada will be playing out of Edmonton this coming July in the U20 World Cup. Chance to see some future stars. Only a quick 3 hour drive up the QE 2.

Hi mate,

Yip I post on the Duffle forum and I run the Stirling Albion .com website and forum.Have to say I am gutted about Calgary not having a football team-I take it there is no juniour footy in Canada!!

We are still in the early stages of thinking of emmigrating, but we be dfinetly moving over there in the next few years-it looks like Vancouver might be top of our list now!

How long ago do you move across Cooks?

What is the Ice Hockey/American football crowds/atmosphere games like in Calgary )although I know nothing about these sports!!).

Any advice on moving over-jobs,housing,etc etc

Any help would be fantastic.

You mean you weren't cemented with Calgary!? Why would you ever move to Calgary if you could choose Vancouver! (It is consistently rated one of the top 3 cities in the world after all!)

Yes we have loads of "junior footy" in Canada - both Edmonton and Vancouver are hosting World Youth Cup games in 07. Of course the Vancouver Whitecaps will be in the MLS in and around 2010 - whenever the stadium is done.

what are the ice hockey/american football atmospheres like in Calgary? A bunch of generally polite people clapping politely until someone scores. Then everyone jumps up and down for a few seconds. Then sit down and chat quietly amongst themselves.

as far as jobs and things? just try monster.ca and search out your vocation. also look into the canadian government website for immigration, etc. we accept everyones poor, weak and downtrodden - so you shouldn't have a problem!

ps-we just call it Hockey, as opposed to Ice Hockey over on this side of the pond.

We also just call it football, as opposed to american football. which is ridiculous, really!

Cheers for the inof mate.

I wasn't meaning youth football/soccer when I said "junior".Across here we have senior,junior and amatuer football adult matches.I am a bit surprised a place as big as Calgary and outlying places doesnt have a pro team!

Calgary is supposed to be cheaper and where ever we go, we want to be in a smaller village about 20-30 minutes from the city (not used to staying in a city and dont want to-we live in a small village (population of about 1000) which is 10 minutes from Stirling (popultaion of about 20,000? in Scotland something similar would be good). We also know a couple who have moved to Calgary.

We are really flexable on where we go, but the best for our kids and standard of life TBH.

quote:Originally posted by MIFTHEBINO

PS.How accessable is a pitch and any Sunday leagues.I love playing, but I suppose I could give it up!

Pretty good availability when snow isn't on the ground (May through October).

Do you have kids? I have tons of info on kids soccer in Calgary if you are interested.

Disregard the Calgary comments by bettermirror. He has no fc*king clue about Calgary sports and is very likely on drugs - being from what we refer to as 'LotusLand'.

I can't believe I'm about to give advice to a follower of *lbion ;)

If it's a job you're looking for, Alberta is the place to be at the moment. Just bring a lot of cash with you to Calgary, because houses are getting hugely expensive and harder to come by.

If you are looking for really small towns that are relatively nearby, you'd have to look at places like Black Diamond, Turner Valley, Didsbury, Olds, etc. Our nearest municipalities have ballooned as bedroom communities and are probably too big for your tastes.

We did have some pro footy in Calgary, not too long ago, but a combination of poor ownership and lack of facilities saw its demise.

In terms of Junior football, there is a strong rumour of a PDL club beginning action in Calgary in 2007. It would be equivalent to an Academy side for the pros (to an extent, we don't have the pros to act as the parent club, of course). We also have the Alberta Major Soccer League, which is a decent brand of soccer.

Canadian (rules) Football is a blast and the atmosphere at McMahon Stadium for a CFL game is great (I've had season tickets for years. It's tonnes of fun).

As a teacher, I can tell you that Alberta has some of the finest education on the planet. Your kids will be in good hands.

If you want to visit http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/?mforum=calgarysoccer (the Calgary soccer forum), we can give you lots more information.

Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

[brwhat are the ice hockey/american football atmospheres like in Calgary? A bunch of generally polite people clapping politely until someone scores. Then everyone jumps up and down for a few seconds. Then sit down and chat quietly amongst themselves.

Clearly it depends where you sit. I went to watch my Kings last year at the Saddledome and someone threw a cow’s tongue at the Kings during the pre-game skate and Roenick flipped it back into the stands hitting a guy who was then about to throw it back at JR, but security stepped in.

We were up high and though I was trying to be polite about my support and wasn’t wearing any Kings stuff, I still got a fair bit of abuse and the poor (pregnant!) lady behind me got hit with a thing of nachoes aimed at me after the Kings’ only goal. I was also verbally threatened a couple of times (and I was sitting with Flames fans) and called many names (apparently only homosexuals wear purple, good to know), but after Calgary won I just got taunted and not threatened on our way out.

So it’s not totally devoid of atmosphere.

Stirling Albion eh? My roots are in Stirling, so they’re my side in Scotland, though I don’t follow them that closely. I’ll have to take a look at your site.

Calgary has had professional teams in the past, so it’s not impossible they will have one again in the future. Actually is Salt Lake closer to Calgary than Vancouver?

Good luck if you make the move.

cheers,

matthew

Archived