MLS expansion draft

Alberto7

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well I concede they did indeed get a very good player in the exchange but am surprised they do not have Serioux and/or Williams in a Toronto jersey at the end of it all.

Me too. It just seemed like the obvious move.

By the way, how many years is Jazic under contract? I thought he was only signed until the end of the last season.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Serioux is not someone worth fretting about. Just an average player with one notable talent, that being the ability to throw in the ball like a rocket launcher. His throw-ins are definitely impressive.

O'Brien is top-notch. Serioux isn't. This was a good trade.

All those allocations they got from the other trades will come in handy as they attempt to lure other Canucks home from Europe.

Don't you just love these bitter messages left by newbies writing here for the first time that hint at a much more personal (or professional) relationship to the topic than your garden-variety Voyageur. It always leaves me curious...

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Don't you just love these bitter messages left by newbies writing here for the first time that hint at a much more personal (or professional) relationship to the topic than your garden-variety Voyageur. It always leaves me curious...

Thanks for the warm welcome. :(

I wasn't aware that having an opposing view = bitterness.

Yes...I'm a newbie to this forum. I don't normally post often on any type of forum but I've been following the reaction to the expansion draft closely on a number of different forums and simpyl can't understand some people being upset over Serioux being traded.

I'm an avid Canadian soccer fan of over 20 years. I am also an excited TFC season ticket owner.

I don't think TFC lost much by trading Serioux and they got a proven offensive talent in O'Brien. TFC will be loaded with Canadian talent that bring the same type of skills to the table as Serioux would have. He has an awesome throw in but there is nothing else that he does that would rank as anything more than just Average/Good.

O'Brien will be a big help to a team that will likely struggle to produce offense (all expansion clubs, in all sports, generally find it tougher to score than established teams). Defensive fundamentals can be more easily than Offensive flare. Canada produces lots of defensive minded players. Serioux is one of many. We don't produce a lot of creative, offensive talents (at least not many that would make themselves available to TFC).

Yes...I'm a newbie to this forum. I don't normally post often on any type of forum but I've been following the reaction to the expansion draft closely on a number of different forums and simpyl can't understand some people being upset over Serioux being traded.

I'm an avid Canadian soccer fan of over 20 years. I am also an excited TFC season ticket owner.

I don't think TFC lost much by trading Serioux and they got a proven offensive talent in O'Brien. TFC will be loaded with Canadian talent that bring the same type of skills to the table as Serioux would have. He has an awesome throw in but there is nothing else that he does that would rank as anything more than just Average/Good.

O'Brien will be a big help to a team that will likely struggle to produce offense (all expansion clubs, in all sports, generally find it tougher to score than established teams). Defensive fundamentals can be more easily than Offensive flare. Canada produces lots of defensive minded players. Serioux is one of many. We don't produce a lot of creative, offensive talents (at least not many that would make themselves available to TFC).

Well, well..good second effort VP. Now you've got the hang of introducing yourself.

We could always use another avid fan joining in on the subjective conversation over our shared passion. Welcome aboard.

I think if you'll re-read your original post, you would see how it very easily would fall into the category of either; a) someone connected to the business operations of TFC, or B) someone with something personal against Serioux.

We have had dozens of messages left by family and friends and MNT players (and MNT hopefuls)themselves, as well as numerous volleys fired by media, PR and club reps posing as "just your average impartial fan". Forgive the mistaken identification.

Well, well..good second effort VP. Now you've got the hang of introducing yourself.

We could always use another avid fan joining in on the subjective conversation over our shared passion. Welcome aboard.

I think if you'll re-read your original post, you would see how it very easily would fall into the category of either; a) someone connected to the business operations of TFC, or B) someone with something personal against Serioux.

We have had dozens of messages left by family and friends and MNT players (and MNT hopefuls)themselves, as well as numerous volleys fired by media, PR and club reps posing as "just your average impartial fan". Forgive the mistaken identification.

Just say "Sorry I was drunk", that'll do it.

Not sure what the fuss over VPjr's message was all about. Serioux being traded was a surprise only because the team needs Canadian content. In addition to the long throws he adds a very physical edge that most MLS teams try to have in defence. Mo Johnston probably made the calculation that it is much easier to find somebody to fill that role than Ronnie O'Brien's for around $US 100K.

i guess I'm naive...I figured that this was mostly a fan forum. I didn't imagine that TFC staffers or other PR types would be lurking around trying to spin information on these threads.

Thanks for the welcome. As we lead up to TFC's first season, I am sure we'll all be chatting it up alot. I'm looking forward to Tuesday's announcements for sure. This mystery international player is the one I am most intrigued with.

i was listening to the fan590 this afternoon(saturday).

they were talking soccer from 2 to 3 they had a guy on from the score saying that one of the guys they are signing on tues may be david edgar.

i highly doubt that...he also said that ronnie o'brian is married to a toronto girl...can anybody confirm this.

Actually, I was thinking about the possibility of David Edgar too. If you look at the bio for Paulo Nagamura (now at TFC), his history in England would compare to Edgar's. On top of that, Edgar is Canadian and local so it is probably still possible. I don't know what his contract status is but I guess it could also be done as a loan deal.

quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

they were talking soccer from 2 to 3 they had a guy on from the score saying that one of the guys they are signing on tues may be david edgar.

i highly doubt that...he also said that ronnie o'brian is married to a toronto girl...can anybody confirm this.

quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

O'Brien's wife does have family in the GTA.

Bill

MLS Radio bit on Toronto FC expansion - includes interviews with Frank Yallop and Jim Brennan. Haven't noticed this posted here. Go to MLS site (www.mlsnet.com) and check the featured articles. Yallop is interviewed about 20 minutes in and Brennan about 5 minutes later.

Archived