Thinking About a Podcast

JamesW

Hey all,

I have been thinking that I should do a podcast that would be about ten minutes long. All it would do is give updates on Canadians playing abroad and at home. Please let me know what you think about this new idea I have. I will give more info out soon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, ha. Holy, Jamit. You're a house on fire these days, eh?

Not bad I guess, pretty good idea. You might want to move back from the mic' a wee bit though.

(Yeah, man. You're gonna need to work on the names a bit there. Whoaa. Pretty stiff delivery too. Workable thought).

Hey Jamit, I had a listen to your podcast and must say I am

generally pleased with it. It's the first, so it can only get

better.

I would suggest the use of a windscreen with your mic so that the

popping of p's and sharpness of "s" sounds would not be as pronounced.

Maybe the use of a limiter or a good EQ would help as well, only if

you are using higher-end equipment like an M-Audio Podcaster. If not,

you can also cover the mic with some packaging foam.

As for the pronounciation, that can be tricky. I would suggest

familiarizing yourself with soccer broadcasts. You may want to

download some torrents from Massive Attack on past Canuck games,

and I can send you some DVDs as well. Just email me.

Soo... Hirschfeld is "hersh--feld" and Leicester is "less-ter",

among others. And the German and Dutch names/teams can be a pain,

but it can be overcome. If the guys and girls at FSWC can overcome

their initial problems so can you. Even now, they can't pronounce

"Werder Bremen" properly; it should be pronounced "Verder Brayh-men".

(I do have German clients who corrected me on this.)

Anyways I really appreciate your efforts in doing this for the

Voyageurs, as we can only get better, stronger, and larger in numbers.

Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Hey Jamit, I had a listen to your podcast and must say I am

generally pleased with it. It's the first, so it can only get

better.

By that do you mean you have only listened to the first show I did? If so try and listen to the second one. After listening to the second show, please tell me if the "p" sounds and "s" sounds were done any better.

As for the pronounciation, that can be tricky. I would suggest

familiarizing yourself with soccer broadcasts. You may want to

download some torrents from Massive Attack on past Canuck games

I will e-mail Massive Attack ASAP. I will also make sure I get my hands on the Canada vs. Hungary game.

And the German and Dutch names/teams can be a pain,

but it can be overcome. If the guys and girls at FSWC can overcome

their initial problems so can you. Even now, they can't pronounce

"Werder Bremen" properly; it should be pronounced "Verder Brayh-men".

Are all German names that start with "W" pronunced with a "V" sound?

Anyways I really appreciate your efforts in doing this for the

Voyageurs, as we can only get better, stronger, and larger in numbers.

And I really appreciate your help. Thanks very much.

Are all German names that start with "W" pronunced with a "V" sound?

Ja. "W's" are "V's" and "V's" are "F's". So "Volkswagen" is really

"folks-vagen". But that's beeing too much of a stickler. ;)

Anyways the fact that you're doing something about Canadian soccer

is pretty impressive in my books. Cheers.

I just put the next episode up. I did it last night but never got it on the net. As I said in the Podcast, I did almost no reading. I didn't like this show at all. Let me know if you like it.

Edit: Feedburner has not added the newest show yet. But it should be added really soon.

you know, i was thought this was going to be some amateur cheesy thing not worth my time, but it was actually pretty good and useful. i mean, it was all the info from our most important weekly thread, put forth in a succinct, clear, straighforward podcast. especially useful (to me) would be more on the position of the teams in their tables, which we dont often get a picture of on the forum. also, dont overuse the word 'however' you can use other words too (nevertheless, although, though, etc), And a little more emotion, changing up voice level and tone would be good. overall, it made me think of my dream show idea, which is a late night Canadian Soccer Magazine/Recap show where highlights of all our canadians abroad would be shown, in addition to general canadian soccer news and maybe like a 'spotlight' interview piece on one of our players each week.

anyways, if youre going to be serious about this, it wouldnt be a bad idea to link a weekly recap podcast to the Canadians Abroad threads.

oh, and Bochum is pronounced Bockum (i think)

Starting to get the hang of it. I've always said Bochum "bow-come". Right or wrong, I'm going to keep saying it that way.

Can't wait until Energie Cottbus take on Casey Keller and "bow-roos moo-shun-glawd-bawck" Going to love to hear you work your way through that one.:)

By the by, if you've got broadband (and I'll guess that you do) and the time (not so sure about that) you can find all sort of video highlights out there which can help you with the names of players, teams and places. Can take a bit of looking though.

quote:especially useful (to me) would be more on the position of the teams in their tables, which we dont often get a picture of on the forum.

Good idea. Next show I will include standings for teams with Canadian players on.

quote:also, dont overuse the word 'however' you can use other words too (nevertheless, although, though, etc)

I love the word "however", but I guess I did not keep an eye on how much I was using it, sorry. In the future I will try not to over use it.

quote:And a little more emotion, changing up voice level and tone would be good.

It is very hard when you are reading something to do that. But I will try.

quote:oh, and Bochum is pronounced Bockum (i think)

quote:I've always said Bochum "bow-come"

[xx(]

quote:Can't wait until Energie Cottbus take on Casey Keller and "bow-roos moo-shun-glawd-bawck" Going to love to hear you work your way through that one.

You just wait and see. I am going to say that team's name better then I say Canada.[^]

quote:you can find all sort of video highlights out there which can help you with the names of players, teams and places. Can take a bit of looking though.

I will be hitting YouTube tonight...

Thanks for all your comments guys!

quote:perhaps instead of using titles like "the fourth edition" etc, you can start using something like "This is the Canuck report for the week of November 20th"...

Perhaps, but when I am talking about a specific competition (like Canada vs. Hungary) or a specific (like the Gold Cup), what do I do?

Maybe I should say, the fourth edition, recaping Canadian Soccer stories that have happend from ... to ...?

Archived