What MlLS final?

john tv

Hey what about that water business, I really would appreciate your reply on my observations above. This answer does not cut it at all, rather rude.I know you are capable of reading and obvious replying as well. Come on ben, this is not the way to end this type of discussion or even fight.

John, you're taking every slight against soccer you've ever heard and turning it into public policy! It's ludicrous. So a FIFA report fell to the wayside. So Perkins hates the stadium deal. Do you honestly believe any of that is holding soccer back?

Newspapers aren't even the main plotline anymore. I don't even go to them for soccer news -- although the Star's had some useful socceer columns on Thursdays lately. I go to the internet for my info, and to sites like this so I can understand what real soccer fans are thinking.

One last time: The media can't make soccer succeed or fail. Period. Once you get that, it doesn't matter who said what to whom.

The media can make soccer fail. I have read to many articles about the way the media did the NASL in. Even Clive Toye in his latest book "a kick in the grass", makes reference to this horrible and negative media.The internet is fine,but in the morning i just get my papers and find the sports pages and read what i want to read,but in the back of my mind i am always looking for articles on soccer.When an article on soccer should be in the paper i look for it and when i don't see it than these horns go up again.

To be honest i never go to the Internet for my soccer info at least not in the morning. I do watch fox sports world and goal tv and that's is enough. I have watched the various sports stations to hear and see about Canadian soccer or soccer in general,but it is very brief and watered down stuff and certainly not as much as any other sport of importance.To be very honest i have to have to wait till the end for soccer if it comes up at all.That's why the fox and goal guys serve me a lot better.I hope in the long run that these stations will move soccer to the foreground as well.Oh Jesu.. now Bailey as well. i wondered what took him so long.

Hey guys all i want is recognition for Canadian soccer and that the media is not doing at all capice.

If you are happy with just soccer news i guess you should be in heaven since it seems that there are more soccer games on tv than any other sport. yet it gets very little attention by Bill Houston and Chris Zelkovich. It ain't Nort American and sometimes i even understand that as well.

So kettles and black etc again we need more done for Canadian soccer and that is my beef.I wonder what the media will do about our game against Hungary.Just curious.

John, contrary to what you might have read, the NASL was done in by over-expansion and incompetent owners.

You seem to think that if the editors of every Canadian paper decided they wanted to destroy Canadian soccer, Canadian soccer would die.

You are giving far too much credit to their power, and far too little to their intelligence.

The "recognition" you seek would be nice, sure. It's already out there, though apparently not in your copies of the paper.

But it isn't necessary, and it won't make a critical difference, one way or the other.

'Nuff said. Thanks for the exchange.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

The media can make soccer fail. I have read to many articles about the way the media did the NASL in. Even Clive Toye in his latest book "a kick in the grass", makes reference to this horrible and negative media.The internet is fine,but in the morning i just get my papers and find the sports pages and read what i want to read,but in the back of my mind i am always looking for articles on soccer.When an article on soccer should be in the paper i look for it and when i don't see it than these horns go up again.

Did those horns go up again when you lived in the Netherlands and didn't read any cricket or NFL news in their papers? They should have. I mean there is a clear conspiracy within the Dutch media to prevent cricket and NFL from growing in Holland.

quote:

To be honest i never go to the Internet for my soccer info at least not in the morning.

You should because you follow a niche sport that will never become mainstream in the country you live in. Which means you hafta go out and look for the news. It won't just hit you like news that the masses are interested in.

Either that or you should move back to Holland.

quote:

That's why the fox and goal guys serve me a lot better.I hope in the long run that these stations will move soccer to the foreground as well.Oh Jesu.. now Bailey as well. i wondered what took him so long.

Hey guys all i want is recognition for Canadian soccer and that the media is not doing at all capice.

It is not the media's job to promote soccer. They write about stuff that people are interested in. Which explains why they write very little about soccer in Canada.

quote:

So kettles and black etc again we need more done for Canadian soccer and that is my beef.I wonder what the media will do about our game against Hungary.Just curious.

Probably very little because nobody cares. Very few people anyway. But why is that stopping you from enjoying the games? The games are available to watch (at least as much as most other countries) and the news is available via the web. So what beef do you have? Are you so insecure that you need millions of people following the same things as you in order to enjoy it?

Why don't you stick to that who,,,,re Bush. Anyway here we go again.I came to Canada in 1960 and at that time the NFL was not the biggest thing.Yes i got hooked on the monday night football and yes I got sucked in by Baseball.Hockey was my favourate sport. I did see some college games in Holland. My very best friend in Holland was an American yes from texas,who was in the Marine corps. They had those films sent over and all the marines watched them like religion.They did not care one bit about soccer. At that time i even sort of agreed with them, that the college game was exhiting,specialy all that hoopla. Never saw that at any dutch soccer games.

I played cricket in holland,sort of the summer game and in between soccer. Soccer is not being played at all in the summer time.I fell in love with hockey so obviously i was totally under the North American influence even liked Kent cigarettes better as well as salem.

My change took place when I saw these Ruskies being much better or let's say much better skilled hockey players. being brainwashed by this society I felt it to be my duty to alert the North American to the power of soccer. I have been extremely succesfull in doing so. I even belief if I had not things would be different and the secret would have stayed that way and many more europeans would have benefitted from this advantage.

All I am fighting for is the recognition of soccer first for our canadian kids so that they have their heroes and see a future in the game and not only in Europe and secand that we have an even playing field so that our kids have that same common denominator and will be just as skilled and for that matter don't loose their jobs to those Euro's.

That is why I want the media to write more about Canadian soccer to ensure that we continue to see our kids in that game. To make sure that this soccer thing does not disappear.

My dream will be that this country have their own soccer players that our kids look up to and can see here in toronto as well as montreal and Vancouver.

The media todate has no use for our game and even are suspicious of it's power. May it overtake hockey.

So that's it in a nutshell, we must convert the media to adopt soccer as one of the main Canadian games.

This going back thing is not called for at all.

To be honest i never go to the Internet for my soccer info at least not in the morning. I do watch fox sports world and goal tv and that's is enough. I have watched the various sports stations to hear and see about Canadian soccer or soccer in general,but it is very brief and watered down stuff and certainly not as much as any other sport of importance.To be very honest i have to have to wait till the end for soccer if it comes up at all.That's why the fox and goal guys serve me a lot better.I hope in the long run that these stations will move soccer to the foreground as well.Oh Jesu.. now Bailey as well. i wondered what took him so long.

LOL. What took me so long?

I'll tell ya John, it's pretty damned difficult to type while ROTFLMAO (rolling on the floor laughing my ass off).

db

quote:Originally posted by Ben Knight

[brYou're going to see beat reporters assigned to Toronto FC by the Star and the Sun. The Globe won't consider the games a national story, so they'll pick up wire copy (except in John's neighbourhood, where we'll run lawn bowling scores from Moose Jaw in six-point type.

Thanks for the laugh Ben. And for outing me, now John knows I'm the one sending him the lawn bowling in his paper.

Not only could I send John lawn bowling scores from Moose Jaw, I could send him whole stories about lawn bowling.

I hate my life. ;)

United in the consipracy . . .

cheers,

matthew

I don't know why but Benny's (great nicknames come out of great moments - remember, "Larry"??) backhanded statement about how MLS could fail in Toronto made me think almost immediately of the Vancouver Grizzlies. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Scary thought, I know, but there are comparisons, namely a fickle town that likes winners and doesn't really support losers, the survival of a building that isn't really contingent upon the said sports franchise's own survival, and a team that will have have trouble finding the right "marketable" players..In a sense, there are no perfect players for the market (save a Totti or a Shevchenko type) AND not to mention the great unspoken truth - I love him, but is Jim Brennan really going to be the face of Toronto MLS...Does anybody beyond his old schoolmates and the odd Voyageur even know who the heck he is?? Think Big Country Reeves for the Grizzlies. I'm not really sure that Hargreaves or JD2 wouyld even sell out the building regularly on their own accord, given the average Canadian (and Torontonian) soccer fan. I can just see them saying now, "well, he's no Totti, that's for sure"...

OK Danny as I was saying there was not a word about that final on the Star and Globe. Apparently there was in the toronto edition,hey I live in the Boon docks,but certainly not a word in the Globe. This is a national newspaper and it simply makes no sense unless you are a racist, sorry I mean somebody who dislikes soccer for some peculiar and emotional reasons that should not exist.

Hey I am only fighting for soccer and what the hell is wrong with that. I wish I had more support on this board,we really could go places and ensure that we are recognized and foremost that our kids and I mean our future realize that somebody cares. I guess if you don't have children you won't understand.

Hey I am only fighting for soccer and what the hell is wrong with that.

You say that, yet you have Leafs season tickets. If everyone spent 10 times more money and time on hockey than on soccer, like you, soccer would be .... well... pretty much as (un)popular as it currently is in Canada.

Note: whining on a message board to a few dozen people (who all already like soccer) is not doing any good for the sport

Hey Ami baby first of all I wonder what your response could have been on my observation about the USA.

There was no word about that final in the important papers.I venture to say that soccer has cost me well over $ 500 if not more. So just be carefull when you make statements,just check the facts before you open your bl... mouth. Yes soccer will be very succesfull in Toronto and yes it will one day be as big as any other and yes this will happen in the US as well. In my lifetime I don't know,but it will.The reasons are something that include feelings and understandings that have never surfaced in our society and a natural by product of that game.It is truly amazing and will be amazing to see what is going to happen. My only well documented fear is the Toronto media. They will fight this thing tooth and nail and that is were we come into the picture. Yes we the Voyageurs can and will make the difference . There are to many of us to be ignored and if we ever get organized watch out,we can and will move mountains if we have to.

Archived