What MlLS final?

john tv

Although we will have a MLS team here in Toronto next year,there was not a word in the STAR or GlOBE about yesterdays final,which as we all know included several Canadians.Are the boys already starting showing their dislikes for soccer,this is to much of a coincidence,again downright criminal.

Gentlemen we have to stop this crap,we must all get involved in find a united way to stop this ignorance to continue. We must demand our rights and we must demand I would cal it " equal opportunity" Any thoughts or suggestions?

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Gentlemen we have to stop this crap,we must all get involved in find a united way to stop this ignorance to continue. We must demand our rights and we must demand I would cal it " equal opportunity" Any thoughts or suggestions?

I think it would be bad PR to print anything about that MLS match. It would only strengthen people's stereotypes about the sport (low-scoring, diving, and then to have everything decided by penalties).

I would hope that if the papers were gonna have an article or two on soccer today that they would write about Arsenal v Liverpool; Barcelona v Zaragoza; Ajax v PSV.

John, the only way for us to get the Toronto media to stop "ignoring" soccer (which I don't personally believe to be the case) is to show up in great numbers next year for Toronto FC.

If seasoin ticket sales are any indication, we're well on our way in that regard.

Why don't you read your paper more carefully? Try Page B8 top left corner..."Canucks lead Dynamo to Cup". Word for word same as the internet edition.

That's today's Toronto Star, newspaper edition. On the same page as the photo of Tiger Woods holding a bouquet with headline "Tiger's streak is snapped".

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

John, the only way for us to get the Toronto media to stop "ignoring" soccer (which I don't personally believe to be the case) is to show up in great numbers next year for Toronto FC.

If seasoin ticket sales are any indication, we're well on our way in that regard.

Rudi I have been this route so many times and i can assure you that even within the Torornto media they agree that there is that thing. They will never go public or be quoted but that is a fact. There are editors and even writers in the sportsdepartment that get a huge ride in downplaying soccer or giving those that write about soccer make them feel like a heel. It is that bad.Soccer is a bad joke in all the sports departments and treated as such.

I went to the CIS Finals yesterday afternoon so tried to tape the MLS match on ABC.

I usually would not bother as I rarely have enjoyed a MLS game on TV and turn off the sound to avoid the colour commentary which makes even Dobson palatable except for the fact that Houston has the Cdn contingent

Unfortunately I did not allow for overtime and penalties and yes, the tape ended before the game concluded.

Saw the goals in OT and the the final stop by Houston's keeper on either TSN or SportsNet last evening.

So here's an update on The Media Conspiracy, everyone. (And yes, this is really me.)

Dark, dark day, yesterday. The game was too good, Onstad made the key save, and we couldn't keep it out of the media.

Just kidding. We were able to keep it out of John's newspapers, though. We're just messing with the guy. we love him. Honest.

You're going to see beat reporters assigned to Toronto FC by the Star and the Sun. The Globe won't consider the games a national story, so they'll pick up wire cope (except in John's neighbourhood, where we'll run lawn bowling scores from Moose Jaw in six-point type.

Toronto FC won't get the column inches Toronto's other teams do -- at least until they start seeling as much beer, furniture and real estate. But the stories will be written, and they will appear (except in John's neighbourhood, where the Star and Sun will run government advertising, while the globe favours think pieces on Bolivian parasailing.

Me? I've just been renewed to write many more soccer columns for Sportsnet. I've got one up now about the MLS Cup Final. That won't appease John, of course. He's decided he hates me, even though he couldn't get enough of me when I used to volunteer my heart, soul and time to televise Robbie Soccer Tournament games back in the day. (Thanks, John, by the way. I loved doing that, even though it went directly against The Conspiracy.)

I'm really sorry you're so miserable about this, sir. It's been demonstated to you, over and over again, that you have no blessed clue what you're talking about. The only place this conspiracy actually exists is in your own mind, and your own spiteful short-sightedness.

But if it will make you feel any better, I can absolutely guarantee you that Toronto FC will never get the ink the Leafs do. That must, of course, be A Conspiracy.

Just what exactly the heck do you think they're building down at the Exhibition anyway?

Onward! // Ben

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Rudi I have been this route so many times and i can assure you that even within the Torornto media they agree that there is that thing. They will never go public or be quoted but that is a fact. There are editors and even writers in the sportsdepartment that get a huge ride in downplaying soccer or giving those that write about soccer make them feel like a heel. It is that bad.Soccer is a bad joke in all the sports departments and treated as such.

My question is: why do you care so much if soccer isn't covered that much in mainstream media? And what do you expect?

If you really need to see the sports you follow covered in more depth by the mainstream media, I suggest you only follow NHL, CFL and curling from now on. There is plenty of mainstream media coverage of those leagues where you live and this way you can feel secure knowing that the media pays attention to your interests.

Actually, it's a little-known fact that sportswriters who have covered soccer earlier in their career are better writers than those who have never covered soccer and it actually helps them in their reporting on other sports. Stephen Brunt covers soccer. Damien Cox covered Hamilton youth soccer as a cub reporter. Dave Perkins has never covered soccer in his life.

It's something to do with dexterity and vision, I think. And the fresh air. Helps to clear the mind.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Actually, it's a little-known fact that sportswriters who have covered soccer earlier in their career are better writers than those who have never covered soccer and it actually helps them in their reporting on other sports. Stephen Brunt covers soccer. Damien Cox covered Hamilton youth soccer as a cub reporter. Dave Perkins has never covered soccer in his life.

It's something to do with dexterity and vision, I think. And the fresh air. Helps to clear the mind.

Ahahahahahahahhahaha!

And john, what the hell is the MILS?

Hey Benny yes you did a wondewrfull job for the Robbie and that I have said many times. The media is soccer biggest problem. The media looks as soccer as a step child that probably should go away. It is not North North American and it represents a sport that did not find it's roots over here.It is an emigrant sport and the laughing stock in all sports departments.The rookies are sent and even punished to cover soccer. There is not a decent or well known soccer writer in Toronto.You very well know what I accomplished in soccer in Toronto through the Robbie.This was mammouth stuff and looking back at it amazing what i did do. This is not to pat myself on the back. I have always maintained that soccer is a lot bigger than my ego.I am extremely suspicious of all these writers and I know what they have in the back of their minds as well.We have never been acceppted as being part of the North American media team.We are the outsiders. I really hope and even pray that because of the boys involved the media will appoint high profile soccer writers that will be able to show the life that soccer represents. The real fun the real athletes and the real Canadians who will excell. Wer don't want anymore rookie writers who get punished doing the soccer beat. We demand those that bring us to those levels that the Hockey,baseball and football guys have. We really demand that equal thing. Will it happen ,well do you think it is possible to convert a Irish catholic to become a protestant?

I think it is that serious.I really hope I am totally wrong,but these have been my observations for the last twenty years.

Benny since you are reading this stuff why not an article about all the boys who are playing all over the world. It is amazing how many canadians are representing our country abroad. I often wondered if baseball,football and basketball have that many kids as we have.Certainly not in that many countries I am sure. We live in a very isolated sporting world and totally foreign to anyone else in sports.Our systems are totally different and the promotion or relegation systems would be very interesting to write about.

Even the systems they use to adopt youth systems and how they really care about the way kids learn are are developed. Hey we even have some masters in soccer because of the youth system developments in other countries,ie Holland.

I can go on and on,but I am talking about two totally different worlds and totally different aims as well.Maybe another article would be great and finally an article about soccer and it's inroads in the media and will it be succesfull. Will Canada have well known soccer writers in the future and will we have a status in the main stream media that reeks of success.

John, there are archvies are articles about Canadians playing soccer all over the world. The story has been covered to the point of boredom. Go ask a non-soccer fan about Canadian soccer players, and eleven times out of ten you'll hear "aren't they all playing overseas?"

Now listen good, buster, 'cause you're not going to get this explained so clearly to you again.

SOCCER DOESN'T NEED THE MEDIA.

Both professional lacrosse and curling have made huge strides forward this decade -- and they've done it with far less Canadian media coverage than soccer. Even if you actually heard some editor say to some other editor once upon a bad night in a pub that soccer is an immigrant game and nobody cares, it makes absolutely no difference.

Toronto FC will sink or swim based on its ability to connect to soccer fans directly, not through all the non-existent articles you keep whining about. You're blurring and distorting a very central and important issue, and I honestly wish you'd knock it off.

Nobody decides where to spend their sports dollars based on what the media says. Sure, positive articles help a little. But you know what, John? Those articles are out there. I've been known to write a few of them myself every now and then.

But I'm not telling people what to do. I'm just trying to give them something interesting to think about. Sportsnet.ca gives me a wonderful forum to do this from, and they've never once tried to discourage me.

I don't know what standard you're setting, but it will never, ever be achieved. You seem to think the Canadian media should look like Italian papers on Mondays -- all soccer, all the time, everywhere! It can't happen, John, and nobody needs to invent a conspiracy to know that.

Soccer fans in Toronto are incredibly lucky right now. Everything fell just right, and we had a mauor with the vision and guts to ram the deal home. We're getting a stadium, John! And a division-one pro soccer team! The media cannot take that a way -- nor does it want to.

Yeah, MLS could fail in this town. But it won't be the media's fault. and if a few disgruntled back-room good old boys told you differently, they also told you wrong.

I have never questioned your passion for the game, sir, nor the time and effort you have put into it. That's all positive, and thank you very much from all of us.

But will you please stop chasing shadows, and insulting the hard-won efforts of such soccer writers as actually exist here -- people you might actually find yourself in profound agreement with if you could just rid yourself of this idea that we all secretly want the game to fail.

Your passion is correct. The way you're using it is selfish, and destructive.

Sorry to rant, but I'm very, very disappointed with you.

Yours in soccer // Ben

I really don't know who these soccer writers are or will be.It seems that we still have the rookies that sometimes show up.I have spoken to everyone in the "who is who in soccer" and they all agree that the media is the either biggest ennemie or the one thing that Candian soccer is lacking big time. I was there with the Blizzard and how i fought my little heart out for some coveage. They would after the game but never ever before the game,never.Canadian soccer ie the Canadian team got shafted every time they played at Varsity,never ever any write up prior to the game.It was sickening.Hey last week were was the Star or even an article about the FIFA's final report. Not a word at all. We all know that Perkins has a hard on for soccer and i wonder how many in that department are on his side. It seems that the editor is on his side. Why this crap. What is wrong with getting this stadium.

The taxpayers will get their money back ten fold simply in revenues generated through the various industries.

Back to your first line about our kids,maybe i am asking the wrong people but i have never ever spoken to someone about anyone with the instant recognition factor.

I can assure you is that over these twenty or so fighting years i have made many friends among the toronto media and this was simply because of all the efforts I put into this.It seems to be a mission in my life,since i so strongly believe that our soccer kids need this wonderfull outlet and we need our own team and we need to reach the top,I know we have the talent both on the girls and boys side.I know because of my exposure that we have that ability and the only thing that stands in it's way is that media. We must get to that magic first base and as of yet we are not even on that playing field.

Archived