Canada-Hungary in Montreal

Grizzly

On another thread Daniel mentioned meeting to watch this game. I have checked with both Champs and Cafe Veranda about whether they have Goltv. Champs said they had goltv and that it wouldn't be any problem to set a tv to the game. Although Champs are not always reliable about doing what they say they have a lot of tvs so I think we can depend on them in this regard. Cafe Veranda also seems to have Goltv which was showing Columbian soccer at the moment although it did freak me out a bit that they didn't have ABC so I couldn't watch the MLS final there (Is ABC not a part of basic cable in Montreal? When we selected goltv the soccer came on but when ABC was selected it said we had to call the cable company). The bars are about a 10 minute walk from each other so if there is a problem at one it should be possible to go to the other. I would like to know who would be planning to go (also if you are coming for sure or only possibly) and what bar your preference is. Here a short dis/advantage list:

Champs

http://www.restomontreal.ca/restaurants/index.php?section=viewresto&resto_id=326&show=map

-Many tvs but may have to settle for a small one if larger groups are watching other games

-Poor food and poor service

-Expensive

-Will be able to keep eye on other games

-More of a soccer atmosphere if people are there watching the other games (not sure how many people show up in the middle of the day to watch friendlies there)

Veranda

http://www.restomontreal.ca/restaurants/index.php?section=viewresto&resto_id=275&show=map

-Only two tvs but they can be set to different channels, one is large screen and the other medium. Not really a sports bar so it shouldn't be a problem at that time getting the big screen.

-Cheaper than Champs with better food. They have a restaurant not a bar license so if you order alcohol you do have to order a food dish once. However, they do have small entrees for $1 to $2 so at the worst you pay the same with the entree as a beer alone at Champs and also are not required to order food with any subsequent drinks. (Is this a weird law in Quebec? I have never encountered this in any other province but they are several bars like that in Montreal and the owners say it is less expensive and easier to get a restaurant than a bar licence.)

-Will not have other soccer games on tv

-More pleasant than Champs but won't be a soccer atmosphere

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

As far as having to buy food, the key thing is that Veranda is a restaurant or at least is licensed as such. The rule for restaurant liquor licenses is that you cannot just sell someone alcohol they have to eat. It's like that in NL as well.

Yes I know that. I have never encountered this in Ontario and can't remember it anywhere else in Canada though maybe I just didn't go to that type of establishment in my trips to other provinces. Apparently you have the same system in NL but I haven't been there in about 20 years.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

http://www.impactsoccer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6374

Sorry, but I'm not paying a cover charge (ie Champs).

quote:Le match est à 14h00, deux options.

Pub "Au Coin du Métro" (Lajeunesse et Henri-Bourassa)

Pub McLean's (Peel, entre Sainte-Catherine et René-Lévesque)

Je propose McLean's, qu'on connaît pour certain. Plus central, plus sympathique (incluant le gars au téléphone, Craig le gérant de soirée).

Une confirmation et je file l'annonce sur d'autres forums.

I posted your comments from the Impact forum to make it easier. I don't think Champs would charge a cover for this game though I could be wrong. Champs usually charges a cover for Saturday morning games from Europe that they get from satellite tv. They didn't charge for the WC or the last Canada game I saw there. The only time I paid to watch Canada at Champs was for the Portugal game which was fair because they had it on a Portugese satellite feed and even then it was only $5. You could call to find out. Veranda definitely would not charge.

I am very tight for time on Wednesday so I wouldn't be able to go anywhere not fairly near to where I live though of course you don't have to change your plans just for me. There would be about a 50% chance that I could go to the pub on Peel but the other one is definitely too far for me because I have to be home no later than 4:30. If you are going to pick a pub I think you should make sure that they will show it. Many pubs may have Goltv but don't have tvs that can be set to different channels and odds are that if they only have one channel setting it will be set to England Holland.

I called both places and said we were coming ;).

Champs charges a cover anytime they have international games on. If they're going to have Euro qualifying and friendlies, expect to pay. And anyways, it's expensive, run by dicks and Canada fans always end up with a tiny TV in a corner.

That leaves Veranda, McClean's and Au Coin de Metro. I don't like Champs either but I am sometimes willing to put up with it because I am sure I will definitely get to see the game. I have seen internationals there and not paid cover but I don't know what the situation will be Wednesday. Maybe you should decide where you want to go and I'll tell you whether I can make it or not. Au Coin de Metro is definitely too far for me.

I know how long it takes to get to HB because I know how long it takes to get to Cremazie for Impact games. With walking to the station and waiting for the Metro it is just cutting it too tight especially when Veranda is very near my place and Champs not so far either. I have a student at 4:30 so I can't be late and don't want to have to leave early. Peel is a lot fewer stations so I might be willing to risk it if I knew for sure the bar was showing it. I think if others are interested in coming, somewhere near downtown would be better for them as well, Henri Bourassa is on the other side of the island and closer to Laval than downtown Montreal. The Champs/Veranda variant also has the advantage that if there is a problem at one there is an alternative nearby. If we are meeting at Champs/Veranda I will definitely go, at Peel I will probably go but I definitely won't go to Henri Bourassa. Organize how you want it though, I can watch it alone at one of the other places if you decide to meet somewhere too far for me. See if anyone else is going and where they prefer.

For anyone interested, the new "Cage Au Sport" on Cite des Jeunes in Vaudreuil has Gol TV and will be airing the game on Wednesday. I know it's out of the way for most but possibly an option for some, I'll be there, as going downtown for me at that time as well as heading home afterward would be a traffic nightmare.

I will go to Veranda because I only have a 30 minute window timewise at both sides of the game and it is too risky to go that far for me. If it is better for anyone else to be downtown (instead of the North Pole of Montreal ;)) they can meet me there. If for some reason there was a problem at Veranda (I don't think there will be) my fallback will be the nearby Champs which will have the game for sure. So in the small possibility that noone is watching the game at Veranda it means I am at Champs.

Archived