Duz -No stadium design for VanCity

RealGooner

On SoccerCentral today Lenearduzzi stated that the rendering presented for Vancouver'stadium is just a rendering and isn't the actual design. He said they actually didnt have a design for the stadium yet, which is a bit disappointing. The rendering would have been nice if that were the final design.

That has never been a secret so don't be disappointed. There is no way that anybody would risk investing the very substantial amount of time and money required to undertake design of such a project without first securing at least approval in principle from the city authorities. It was a conceptual thing from the start. The same happens with most major private venture urban projects. The city did not refuse the Whitecaps outright and agreed to explore the project further so the club is now proceeding to the next step with more detailed studies and initial design work.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

I'm pretty sure I even remember renderings of that pipe dream someone had of putting the new arena in Toronto above Union Station before the Leafs joined the ACC project.

Yeah, that was before the Leafs came to their senses and purchased the already half-built ACC, along with the Raptors.

The pictures we've been bombarded with were always just a "vision". Frankly, I think the final footprint and the actual stadium will be way better, and tighter than the "vision". The seating needs to be closer and, steeper because of the land restrictions they'll be facing. Much like GM Place is because of its proximity to the viaducts.

Guest Jeffery S.

This is great news, as long as they improve on the design. The initial one is to get past planning people, now that they have seen what folks complained about and what not, they can solve a few problems, like the slope of stands, the excessively open ends, even the lack of a curve towards the corners. And maybe a few things about comfort and quality in the dregs of the building.

Archived