MLS Playoff Format

masster

Does anybody know why the MLS changes its playoff format from a home and home in the quarter finals to a single game for the semis and finals.

Why not have home and home all the way up until the winner take all MLS Cup? Thats what is done in the Champions League. Hell, they even do it in the USL Playoffs.

They will probably change the playoff format next year. Even eliminating the playoffs altogether has been considered by MLS.

They certainly need to do something to the current format, which is ridiculous. At the very least, get rid of the home-and-home in the first-round and just make it one match.

What I would do is have a single-table, with the top 4 advancing to the playoffs.

could do what is done in germany - have a single table. league champ. done and dusted. leave the open cup as is. both those teams go to the champions league. then either in pre-season or following the MLS regular season have the top 4 or 6 playoff in a sort of Charity Shield type cup. The Germans do it in pre-season. I believe it is the top 6 with 1st and 2nd place from the league getting a bye in the first round of this cup where 3-6 playoff for a spot in the semi-finals. similar to what amacpher said.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

could do what is done in germany - have a single table. league champ. done and dusted. leave the open cup as is. both those teams go to the champions league. then either in pre-season or following the MLS regular season have the top 4 or 6 playoff in a sort of Charity Shield type cup. The Germans do it in pre-season. I believe it is the top 6 with 1st and 2nd place from the league getting a bye in the first round of this cup where 3-6 playoff for a spot in the semi-finals. similar to what amacpher said.

I like all these idea but they're not "American" enough.

Hey i was just thinking that simply doing exactly what we did (or i did anyways) in youth soccer works.

Play regular season games at a normal schedule and have cup games periodically throughout the year.

The winner of the cup is a cup champion, and winner of the league is league champ. Even though its north america, playoffs dont have to be a part of it. While growing up we never felt ripped off bc there was not a playoff. The cup games were that bc anyone can win on their night.

The league champ is pretty much always the best team and i think more importance should be given to that.

If the media got behind this idea and marketed it as such, i think more of the public would warm to the fact that league champ is more difficult to become than winning a few games on the trot like the playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Hey i was just thinking that simply doing exactly what we did (or i did anyways) in youth soccer works.

Play regular season games at a normal schedule and have cup games periodically throughout the year.

The winner of the cup is a cup champion, and winner of the league is league champ. Even though its north america, playoffs dont have to be a part of it. While growing up we never felt ripped off bc there was not a playoff. The cup games were that bc anyone can win on their night.

The league champ is pretty much always the best team and i think more importance should be given to that.

If the media got behind this idea and marketed it as such, i think more of the public would warm to the fact that league champ is more difficult to become than winning a few games on the trot like the playoffs.

You didn't have to market your youth games and attract crowds.

I like the playoffs, but I also like the fact that the Supporters' Shield winner now gets one of the spots in the CCC.

Daniel,

i totally agree that we "didn't have to market (our) youth games and attract crowds."

But big Cup games don't need that much marketing, as they are big events on their own (bc there will be a new cup winner).

Without playoffs, and by placing more importance on the league, i think attendance would be boosted for reg season games then bc when the league is coming to a close the marketing men and women can go nuts with who the next league champ will be. (since there is no playoffs that is extemely important). And games against weak teams who may not draw as large a crowd will draw larger crowds bc the league may be decided that day.

perhaps i am a little influenced by the fact my dads english, so ive watched english football my whole life, but i dont think this is too crazy a concept to work here.

Yeah, fair enough. I do still think if the league and media helped to market it the way i mentioned it could work (may take a bit to catch on but could work).

Then again, maybe i am doing just a little too much wishful thinking. The fact that playoffs is the biggest thing in all of the other north american sports may be too much to overcome.

Archived