COO/TD/MNT HC? - which is priority?

bettermirror

Which of COO, TD, or Men's Coach should be replaced first? Is the search something which should be conducted simultaneously?

I believe the technical director should be the first target. Hart has the Hungary match, and after that our next match is quite some time - sadly. The COO is a position which probably should be filled sooner than later.

It's difficult to say, really. Will a coach come not knowing who the TD is or is going to be? Will the new coach demand X qualifications for a new TD? Will a talented TD come in without a highly qualified head coach?

I believe TD should be the focus to continue ASAP the work done by Osieck and Bates.

- The TD is a long-term oriented job, it can wait.

- The CSA can run itself without a COO, although you expect that one will be named to be the face of the CSA for the U20 WC.

- A head coach is a public figure and hopefully a recognizable name wil help land credibility to the program. We could still have friendlies in the winter and spring and we need a coach to get time together with the team before the GC.

If the men's team is the priority as has been stated by the suits, then it's a no-brainer, we need a head coach as soon as possible to get his sh*t straight and get us on our way to GC and WCQ.

I would say leave the TD till last. Bates did the major study that the CSA stated will serve as the blueprint (although perhaps that could change with a new COO).

Not sure whether it should be COO or coach, but I would lean towards the COO. Canada has too many major projects on the-go to have nobody at the wheel. We have the agreement with the CBC to implement, the TO stadium, MLS, upcoming bids for the Womens World Cup, stratigic objective of creating more professional clubs in Canada, 2007 U-20 World Cup which is a massive undertaking, 100,000's of tickets to sell, stadiums being renovated, possible Champions League admission upcoming, etc......

Linford already stated that the structure is in place to hire the next coach, and if Hart stays in the position for a few more months, it won't hurt the program (although by spring we definetly need our new coach in place). I also think we are much more likely to now have a 'name coach', now that Pipe has been replaced and Linford has stated there will be greater emphasis on the men's program.

I also found it interesting (Soccer Central) that Linford emphasized that there are a number of Canadians abroad that are in senior administrative sport positions. He stated it may be time to bring one home. It would be interesting to know this list of Canadians abroad.

What exactly is the technical director's job? Especially compared to the head coach? Yes, seriously.

At this point in time, would it not make sense for basically the head coach to also be the TD? It's not like we play 20 NT games a year. I'm sure both jobs could be handled by one person, obviously with proper support staff.

Are the coach and TD equal in terms of their job level. Or does one report to the other? If one is higher on the food chain, then the one that is higher should be hired first, and then he hires whoever he thinks makes sense.

The Canadian Soccer Association, which was founded in 1912 and has over 850,000 registered players and over 70,000 registered coaches, is seeking a Director of Technical Programs who will provide the leadership and dynamism necessary to take the Association's Technical Program to a new level of success.

Principal Responsibilities:

Overall development and direction of the Association's Technical Program, including the preparation and maintenance of a 5-year plan to achieve the Program's objectives

Player and Coaching development at all levels

Direction and supervision of all National Training Centres

Direction and supervision of all National Youth Development Team coaches

Ongoing review and refinement of the Association's Coaching Certification Program

Close liaison with the National Male and Female Senior Team coaches

Close working relationship with Provincial Technical Directors and their staff

Qualifications:

Extensive coaching experience at the International level

Proven track-record in developing and implementing high-performance technical/coaching programs and long-term planning

Previous experience in an instructional/pedagogical technical environment

Self-starter with vision and a detailed technical knowledge of the game

Team-leader with strong presentational and interpersonal skills

CSA 'A' Licence or equivalent

Capacity to publicly represent the CSA as required

Superior communication skills, both written and oral

Superior Human Resource management skills in supervising staff

Passionate about soccer, its development and its future

The ability to work very flexible hours and to travel extensively is a requirement of this full-time position.

All applications should be addressed to: employment@soccercan.ca

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Not sure whether it should be COO or coach, but I would lean towards the COO. Canada has too many major projects on the-go to have nobody at the wheel. We have the agreement with the CBC to implement, the TO stadium, MLS, upcoming bids for the Womens World Cup, stratigic objective of creating more professional clubs in Canada, 2007 U-20 World Cup which is a massive undertaking, 100,000's of tickets to sell, stadiums being renovated, possible Champions League admission upcoming, etc......

- CBC: deal is with FIFA, deal with the CSA is unknown, maybe already taken care of, but not pressing, until the GC at earliest

- TO Stadium: CSA no longer needed

- MLS: same

- Bid for the WWC: we need a COO, what's the date?

- Implementing pro clubs: not the CSA's job

- U20 WC, tickets, etc.: structure is in place, we'll need a figurehead, but nothing before the draw, probably

- CCC bid: talks will probably happen in the summer for qualifying tournaments in the fall

So, IMO, we'll need a COO in time for the U20 WC draw, but it's not as pressing a matter as head coach, for whom each extra month at the helm will do a much greater difference than a COO.

Get the COO hired as quickly as possible, then get the National Team Coach hired before January 1st. The Technical Director is an important role, but it can wait until the COO is in place.

If, however, the search for a good COO takes us into the New Year, then it might be a good idea to advance the search for a nation team coach.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I also found it interesting (Soccer Central) that Linford emphasized that there are a number of Canadians abroad that are in senior administrative sport positions. He stated it may be time to bring one home. It would be interesting to know this list of Canadians abroad.

What about this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Tenenbaum

quote:Originally posted by masster

What about this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Tenenbaum

The only way we would get a guy like Tenenbaum is if he wanted the job which is unlikely. Being on the board of Chelsea is not a full time job like being the CEO of the CSA nor would it entail all the boring administrative duties that the CEO of the CSA has to do. In his fulltime job he is probably making far more than we could hope to pay him. Additionally, him being on the board of Chelsea does not necessarily mean he is a soccer expert. It is obviously related to him having had a high level position in Abrahmovic's company, Sibneft.

My view would be that the COO should be hired first. Not that the others are the COO's responsibility, but I would think the Board would like to allow the COO to have some input into the hiring of the HC and TD. After all, it would be rather difficult for a visionary to be visionary if some of the major decisions that would impact on that vision have been made for you.

As well, the Board must already have an Executive Search firm under contract and a process underway. I would think they could have someone in place before Christmas.

On a priority scale I think hiring a COO is the first priority, followed closely by a MNT head coach. A good COO with a business background might generate more revenue and help fund the other positions. But agreed with Beaver that we need to get a MNT coach in place by Jan 1st.

Part of it depends on how much the CSA has budgeted for these 3 positions, and the quality of the candidates they have in mind. Considering we have a finite budget, where would you rather see the money spent? If the money you spent on one position, would affect the other, where would you put the majority of the money? Personally I would bring in an experienced COO who could help generate some revenue for the CSA and help fund the other positions. I would be willing to wait in appointing a head coach only if that was the situation. If a new COO was generating more revenue to fund a higher quality MNT coach. Hypothetical I know, but the reality is that the CSA is working on a fixed budget, else we would already have replacements hired.

linford has been spouting that the MNT is now the top priority of the CSA. this leads one to think the new coach would be the top priority. dont know if this will happen first, but it better get the biggest budget. id rather have no coo or TD for a while and use the money on a world class manager, then use the resources from making the cup on a good td and coo and on the programs/new initiatives they want to implement (not gonna happen)

Archived