Canadians abroad: November 3-9, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete (in particular, American college matches, which are now broadcast by FSWC, are not included) or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Friday, November 3

2:30 PM on GolTV Canada — Germany: Bundesliga

Hannover vs. Bochum (Daniel Imhof)

Saturday, November 4

7:30 AM on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Fulham (Tomasz Radzinski) vs. Everton

9:30 AM on GolTV Canada — Germany: Bundesliga

Werder Bremen vs. Energie Cottbus (Kevin McKenna)

4:00 PM on GolTV Canada — Spain: Primera División

Deportivo de La Coruña (Julian de Guzman) vs. Barcelona

Sunday, November 5

11:00 AM on FSWC — England: Premier League

Tottenham (Paul Stalteri) vs. Chelsea

7:00 PM on FSWC — United States: Major League Soccer - Semifinal

Houston (Dwayne De Rosario, Pat Onstad, Adrian Serioux) vs. Colorado

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for November 3-9, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

Vejle lost at home 1-2 to Odense but Issey scored again, a good sign. We know the team will have problems to stay in top flight, but at least they have won a few matches, and are staying close against the stronger sides. So maybe we should take a look at Issey as a back-up to Radz attacking left, if only because experience in top flight Denmark is worth something. And he is obviously not out of place there in spite of playing for arguably the weakest team.

Guest Jeffery S.

No Klukowski for Club Brugges who fall to Lokeren, they are 9 points off the lead after 11 games.

No Simpson for Kaiserslautern, who draw 1-1 at Duisberg.

No Julian for Depor who draw my beloved FCB 1-1, in previews they listed the call-up, left out, starters, and injured in the paper and Julian was not in either of the categories. Hope it was just an oversight.

Last day in Norway Tromso is saved in spite of losing, Bernier gets a yellow, Rosenborg draw (I think with Lars in goal), there are those two Occean goals for Lillestrom, a bit late to find his form, and Molde loses at home when a win could have saved them and are relegated. Odd (Gerba) will have to play the playoff to stay up in top flight.

Aguiar plays 90 but Gondomar fall at home to Leixoes 1-2, staying mid table in the Liga de Honra.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Vejle lost at home 1-2 to Odense but Issey scored again, a good sign. We know the team will have problems to stay in top flight, but at least they have won a few matches, and are staying close against the stronger sides. So maybe we should take a look at Issey as a back-up to Radz attacking left, if only because experience in top flight Denmark is worth something. And he is obviously not out of place there in spite of playing for arguably the weakest team.

Considering that Heerenveen looked overmatched all over the pitch both technically, tactically and physically in their 0-2 home loss to OB Odense in the UEFA cup, then Vejle did a fairly good job in this Superliga match. Perhaps the pitch was very poor and some of the Odense players looked a bit tired, but all-in-all it would not have been undeserved if Vejle had managed to hold Odense to a draw.

Radz plays on the right. If we have a bigger squad, I'm in favour of giving him a look (also if he moves to a better club). At 16-18, though, I'd rather we give our established players more time together.

In the Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids match, Adrian Serioux was called for a handball in the area leading to the Colorado goal via a PK and was also involved in the build-up to the first 2 goals, including a nice pass to De Rosario that was flicked ahead to Dalglish for the first Houston goal. He was subbed out in the 93rd minute, the other Canadians started and finished the match.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Dwayne De Rosario and the Houston Dynamo are going to the MLS Cup next week. They lead Colorado 3-1 with about ten minutes to go in the game. Sounds like DeRo has had a great game, he has one assist (or maybe two) thus far.

I think that probably rules out our Canadian Dynamo for the game versus Hungary.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by masster

I think that probably rules out our Canadian Dynamo for the game versus Hungary.

The final is on the 12th in Frisco Texas. Don't know if they would be game to fly out the next day for Budapest, could be done but a little tight. They would arrive late on the Monday probably and be able to train once with the team. Though I seriously doubt we are going to be together more than three or four days anyways.

The final is on the 12th in Frisco Texas. Don't know if they would be game to fly out the next day for Budapest, could be done but a little tight. They would arrive late on the Monday probably and be able to train once with the team. Though I seriously doubt we are going to be together more than three or four days anyways.

It's doable, but for a friendly I think they might just take it easy, especially if they win and there might be a parade or something.

Sucks that we couldn't get our "full" squad in the past few games.

Tam's Panionios continued their undefeated streak. It is pretty impressive considering they were early favourites for relegation. Tam played his regular 90 mins.

24/09 v Kalamarias (A) 1-1

30/09 v Aris (A) 2-2

22/10 v Larissa (H) 2-1

29/10 v Kerkira (A) 1-0

05/11 v Egaleo (H) 0-0

Radzinski's service with a smile

By Gideon Brooks

273 words

4 November 2006

The Daily Express

English

© 2006 Express Newspapers

TOMASZ RADZINSKI looks at life as a thirtysomething in the Premiership with a broad smile and a healthy dose of realism.

The Fulham striker wore that smile when he listened to his boss Chris Coleman suggest that it was up to the player whether he earned himself a new contract when his current deal is up in eight months' time.

And it was with another that the Polish-born Canadian suggested yesterday he was realistic enough to believe that new deals for 33-year-olds do not grow on trees. "It will not be a big shock if I have to move on at the end of the season, " he said.

Radzinski is not playing at brinkmanship but merely treating his situation the way it is. If he can get a new deal then fine, but if not then that will be fine, too.

"It would be nice to play for another couple of years because I love the club and I love London but I don't know how eager they will be to offer a contract, " said Radzinski. "I am not worried, though, and all I can do is keep working hard.

I am sure everything will fall into place." Radzinski faces his previous club, Everton today, fully expecting flak from the travelling fans after his acrimonious departure from Goodison two years ago following lengthy contract wrangles.

"I expect the Everton fans will give me a nice whistle concert for a while, " he said.

"But you know the best way to deal with it? Just smile at them – and win of course."

Archived