Jump to content

Kevan Pipe fired !!!


Bxl Boy
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Ben Knight's real crime was having the intestinal fortitude to point out some home truths about the CUSL blueprint that was being pushed by Pipe and co and supported in a very unquestioning manner by most Voyageurs a few years back. I wasn't a fan of his play by play for Toronto Italia back in the day but his journalism is really not that bad. Think he's really more of a lacrosse guy, however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Nice stuff Grizzly, that's pretty much how I feel about Mr. Night. I would like Ben reading that.....

Great minds think alike :D (oh yeah except about Materazzi and Grosso ;))

quote:I wonder if Ben Knight's real crime was having the intestinal fortitude to point out some home truths about the CUSL blueprint that was being pushed by Pipe and co and supported in a very unquestioning manner by most Voyageurs a few years back.

You must have been reading a different forum than I was. While most Voyageurs were supportive of the idea of a Canadian league there was a large number of concerns about the plan being implemented by the CSA. The problem many Voyageurs have with Ben Knight is, unlike a great number of posters here, he is not a supporter of the Canadian national team, he is not a knowledgeable soccer fan and he is not a good writer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No Linford was not involved and was long gone from Kitchener Minor Soccer Club when the crap hit. Linford's volunteer service record with soccer is below.

While the Board is ultimately responsible, the day-to-day responsibility lies with the Executive Director/Chief Operating Officer. Since the Board is a volunteer body, a strong ED/COO has the opportunity to shape how things are done at the CSA. It is really up to that person present a direction and execute on it.

Also don't believe everything the media says. Their research is probably less than what happens on this forum.

COLIN LINFORD

The Ontario Soccer Association

2002 to present, President

2001-2002, Vice President

1998-2001, Director At Large Executive Committee

1992-1994, OSA Member of League Management Committee

1990, Board Representative from Southwest Regional Soccer Association

Southwest Regional Soccer Association

1991-1999, President

2002, Life Member

1990, Vice President

1987, Youth Director

Kitchener Minor Soccer Club

1986-1988, Past President

1984, President

1981, Member of Executive, Special Events Chair, Head Coach

1979, Competitive Coach

1978, Recreational Coach

quote:Originally posted by georg

b.s. …. Change indeed. What I got from Sport 590 International Report most board members been there a long time. And I wonder if Colins Linford was part of the group to lead Kitchener Soccer Ass. To Bankruptcy a few years back. When I went to the Ont All Star vs. Munich 1860 there was no at Budd Park to check who had a valid tickets or just walk in for free. They were too busy introducing themselves to the 1860.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Maybe now we have gotten rid of our incompetent CEO we can get rid of some incompetent soccer journalists like Ben Knight. One of the reasons KP stuck around in the job so long is other than Davidson there was no other competent journalist covering the CSA. What is the purpose of this Ben Knight article other than assaulting us with poor writing style and grammar that shouldn't be acceptable in high school let alone from a supposed professional writer? For half of the article he brags about how great and principled he is for not associating with the CSA and KP because of his dislike for politics. Yet he did once risk being sent to the gulag and years of torture by being brave enough to ask KP a question several times. You are my hero Ben! Other than Ben praising his own heroics and principles there is not a lot information in this article nor a particularly interesting editorial opinion. It is sublime hypocrisy for Ben to criticize KP when despite all of his failings, KP was still trying to do his best for Canadian soccer unlike Ben: the guy who approved and applauded Hargreaves choice of England over Canada and who has stated many times that he is more interested in English soccer than Canadian soccer (yes you are such a principled guy Ben). If there is one guy who is more incompetent in his job than Kevin Pipe was, it is Ben Knight. Let's hope that Canada gets some real soccer journalists in addition to a top coach, competent CEO and visionary TD.

So, did Ben piss in your lemonade or something? To say the least, this is a bit over the top.

db

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Maybe now we have gotten rid of our incompetent CEO we can get rid of some incompetent soccer journalists like Ben Knight. One of the reasons KP stuck around in the job so long is other than Davidson there was no other competent journalist covering the CSA. What is the purpose of this Ben Knight article other than assaulting us with poor writing style and grammar that shouldn't be acceptable in high school let alone from a supposed professional writer? For half of the article he brags about how great and principled he is for not associating with the CSA and KP because of his dislike for politics. Yet he did once risk being sent to the gulag and years of torture by being brave enough to ask KP a question several times. You are my hero Ben! Other than Ben praising his own heroics and principles there is not a lot information in this article nor a particularly interesting editorial opinion. It is sublime hypocrisy for Ben to criticize KP when despite all of his failings, KP was still trying to do his best for Canadian soccer unlike Ben: the guy who approved and applauded Hargreaves choice of England over Canada and who has stated many times that he is more interested in English soccer than Canadian soccer (yes you are such a principled guy Ben). If there is one guy who is more incompetent in his job than Kevin Pipe was, it is Ben Knight. Let's hope that Canada gets some real soccer journalists in addition to a top coach, competent CEO and visionary TD.

Grizzy I can't believe this" we agree on something"sais frais!

Yes Benny is an imposter alright and I really don't know what his credentials are to be on that level. I saw him play soccer once. Anyway imposters or opportunist you call it what you like,he knows nothing about our game. grammar well he is a bass player what do you expect anyway.I have not seen Benny at any of the Toronto FC or CSA media conferences.

This Pipe stuff, well i know very well that Kevan accomplished a lot.

I have dealt with him and he really is a very enthousiastic guy alright. He is easily to approach,always returns my phone calls and to me it seems he certainly accomplished a lot in the image of soccer in Canada.

Yes it is extremely difficult because we all know very well how the media feels about Canadian soccer.It is a huge bitch.

Whatever Benny baby has to say and I will not read it,he writes what he thinks people want to hear.Opporunism I call it.

It is funny that I have run into many people in Canada who really dispised Kevan.Maybe I was not close enough to te guy or maybe he understood what I was trying to accomplish, I really don't know. But this little guy accomplished a lot, the girls championships in Alberta were a huge succes,getting the u-20 here in Canada a huge accomplishement,that stadiuma and the boys from the Leafs and their huge cloud,Bank of Montreal,the various governments throwing in their money, Toronto F.C, the MLS soccer franchise and never mind this effen canadian media finally waking up,except the Star that is.

I don't know what happened with the Holger or Yallup thing,but we still have Pellerud.Although he maybe the one that is responsible for Kevan's demise.Kevan's heart was in the right place and I am very interested to find what straw made the difference.

Remember WC 94. Well the FIFA appointed Kevan to be in charge of the entire event in the JFK stadium in Washington.Remember this is the place were all these diplomats hang out,good and bad.

Kevan did a superb job and this helped Canadian soccer as far as the Fifa is concerned.This litle Canadian boy did us proud with the Fifa.

At one time there were even rumours that Kevan would take Blatters job. That is how far that went.I have never ever felt that he was wrong in any way for soccer. I am more than anyone else committed to Canadian soccer. I never ever felt even a twinge or doubt about him. Maybe I was not close enough,but there it is.He accomplished a lot.

That is why I am so curious to find out what that straw was.

So Kevan thanks for what you accomplished and good luck in whatever you will be doing.I am sure thst this is a huge shock and when we met last week I thank you for the very kind remarks you made.

I had no idea at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:

So, did Ben piss in your lemonade or something? To say the least, this is a bit over the top.

db

No Ben pissed in the lemonade of Canadian soccer supporters. I agree 100% that Pipe should have been fired. I even agree 100% that he should have been fired 5 or 10 years ago. Yet although I think that maybe he was the wrong guy for the job, maybe his style was not adequate, maybe he had to fight against situations that we can only remotely understand but yet I never had the impression that he wasn't at least trying his best to do what he thought was best for Canadian soccer. It may not have been what most of his here thought was best for Canadian soccer. Even if he was the person most to blame for our recent failures (a debateable point), I don't think he was say a plant of Warner to screw us up or a guy who hated Canadian soccer. He tried his best but it wasn't what we needed and he should have been let go sooner but we have had too many weak presidents and boards to do this (and this is ultimately where the blame lies). KP tried his best, accomplished some things, failed in other things, maybe didn't treat every national player with the deserved respect, maybe his priorities were mixed up, maybe he was too much of a politician but finally he has to accept responsibility for his failures and he has been fired.

However, I am not going to laud the Pipe criticism of a soccer journalist who has a very poor knowledge and understanding of the game, writes like he is in grade 8 (Yeah, well, when, Hey, let's start every sentence with an interjection: ok works good for a song by the Ramones but is less successful in journalism) and has never shown one tenth of the commitment to Canadian soccer that most of the posters here have shown and which I even think KP has even if he was not the right man for the job. I have never heard KP say that our best players should play for other countries or that English soccer was more important than Canadian soccer. The worst thing of all is hypocrites. KP may have been incompetent, some people may think he is an asshole but Ben Knight is a hypocrite and and incompetent one at that and he seems like an asshole as well. Who is he to criticize KP? KP may have failed at many things as CSA CEO but yet he also accomplished some things for Canadian soccer: a national stadium, the U-20 WC, an MLS team. What has Ben Knight accomplished for Canadian soccer or even the smaller field of Canadian soccer journalism? Thanks Ben for all of your stories about the Premiership. Yes, your coverage was so much superior to the BBC stuff and all of the hundred of other sources for EPL information. Call it the Canadian viewpoint. And the Port Vale coverage, brilliant. I mean where else in Canada can we get coverage of a third division English team and of course this is so necessary here.

To change topic:

Daniel as much as I would love to take credit for the silverware phrase, I think it was my fellow German speaking Hargreaves hater ;) (or haterz as the DF crowd used to say) who was responsible.

John, we and probably both LMS and Daniel agree on a lot of things even if we sometimes make fun of your somewhat extreme views on the benefits of soccer. Some of the comments are ironic/sarcastic/humorous so you shouldn't take them so seriously or literally. Don't take yourself so serious and literally either. Relax and have fun and save your venom for the real HATERZ:(!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jeffery S.

A couple things.

Agree that Ben Knight's article is quite poor, much worse than what he normally comes up with, which is decent enough, and self-aggrandizing in a pathetic way.

Also agree that if he had done his job as a journalist and had been on top of things we'd have benefitted as fans, as right now there is no real journalistic pressure on the CSA or the national team in terms of competency leading to results.

There is an inference above that now that Pipe is gone he won't get his hands on all that money being moved for the WYC 07. Good, or maybe bad. That argument implies that Pipe was removed to allow someone else to get their hands on the money being moved around. Meaning it could be read that removing Pipe has to do with unethical motives. I am not making this argument myself, but think that if anyone thinks Pipe was unduly close to funds and perhaps not using them correctly, you would have to wonder if those coming in to handle them anew will do so with any more honesty. Leave that as an open question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

I also saw the Canadian Soccer League rise and fall, and tend to agree with those who feel the CSA could have done more to help. The CSA, in those days, argued that the governing body of amateur soccer had no business -- or mandate -- to get involved with the pros. Flash forward, and here's the CSA deeply involved in the deals that led to Toronto's new stadium and brand new MLS expansion team. If only there had been this kind of co-operation then. Kevan Pipe, by the way, was there throughout.

He is bang-on with this piece.The CSA (under KP) did nothing to assist the CSL. The CSA now realizes they have to be active partners. If they had been more active in this role, we could possibly still have our own domestic league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. Tough crowd.

Don't disagree entirely with the criticisms but I must have read that Ben Knight articule wrong. I took away some different impressions from the articule it seems.

The 1st one being that from Knight's understanding Pipe had made himself the CSA, figurehead leader or not. He'd wheeled and dealed and played the politic game within the feudal Canadian soccer structure like a champ and reaped the benefits of it. But, recently things were changing within the CSA due to outside influences, that is to say an injection of the right kind of new blood, and Pipe's little playground was/has disappeared.

And good riddance. (The worst kind of office politics is the politics of manipulation for indepting favours. It's all smoke and mirrors where very little ever realy gets done and never for the right reasons. Where doing the deal is more about increasing power than accomplishing some goal).

Change is a foot. Positive change. Fingers and toes crossed for better days ahead.

The 2nd thing that sticks in my mind is the odvious point that Mr. Knight felt there was no point in covering the CSA. To expect more than the party line from the CSA on any initiative was a fools hope. True I'm sure, but that's a rather curious stance for a reporter to take. Or his bosses to allow.

The long and short of the articule is that Mr. Knight doesn't think Kevin Pipe is an innocent victom because of a CSA face-lift. Nope. Not at all. He's not just a well meaning but bungling incompetant, but a cancer within the organization who needed to go a long time a go. Not part of the problem, but the problem.

But I don't know how Ben can make that sort of conclusion from so far outside the CSA soccer circles as he claims to be.

And if Ben Knight is more interested in football outside of Canada than within it I guess he's just like 99% of football fans in Canada.

Maybe he just got tired of waiting for things to change at home and gave up?

P.S. Hmm. Never noticed a problem with his grammar...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! Things sure got peppy in here.

I appreciate the feedback, folks. I just want to make it clear that choosing not to go trolling for "quotes" from the CSA is not the same thing as not covering Canadian soccer. There'll be lots of that coming up, quotes or no quotes.

The EPL stuff is a mandated part of my job -- and I don't think I've mentioned Port Vale for quite a while, but thanks for remembering.

Yes, I support Owen Hargreaves' decision to play in England, just as I would support any of you trying to reach the highest level you can, even if it means leaving Canada. That's a basic human right, and soccer players have it, as well.

I think we'd all like a higher level of soccer journalism in Canada. My job, however, is to be a columnist, and they're not necessarily the same thing. I'm supposed to stir up debate, not write journalistic exposes. I don't go to press conferences because, most times, there is no point.

The big hope, here, is that Kevan Pipe's departure will re-open communication between the CSA and the rest of us. No guarantee, but things certainly weren't going to change while he was there.

Again, thanks for all the input -- and I'll see you at the stadium!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

He is bang-on with this piece.The CSA (under KP) did nothing to assist the CSL. The CSA now realizes they have to be active partners. If they had been more active in this role, we could possibly still have our own domestic league.

Ya, Ben and so many others (ie Dale Barnes) have been saying this ever since the CSL collapsed.

Dale has been on the record for years stating that one dollar from each CSA/Provincial player registration would have subsidized the league very adequately. Unfortunately, the feeling of the PTB's at the time was that the governing bodies were there to only administer, not to financially assist, thus the CSA did allow the CSL to go down by allowing the 'Caps, Blizzard and a new Montreal club (the Impact) to play in the APSL leaving the CSL to whither into oblivion.

Of course, WF, you know all this as well as I do.

I would imagine that this line of thinking continues to exist amongst many clubs and associations throughout the country as short sighted as it may be although I do have some understanding of their reasoning but in the big picture, changes are needed.

All this talk of the need for second tier pro clubs in the USL is going to be nothing but hot air without some sort of subsidy from somewhere and I do not for one second believe that our smaller population centres can and/or will support USL level soccer at a level sufficient to allow the teams to survive.

It sure does illustrate how different Canada is from a country like Australia. They put heaps of taxpayer money into their programs while we in Canada do nothing but bitch and whine about our Olympic athletes receiving a few hundred bucks a month.

It's a sad state of affairs.

db

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Ben Knight

Yes, I support Owen Hargreaves' decision to play in England, just as I would support any of you trying to reach the highest level you can, even if it means leaving Canada. That's a basic human right, and soccer players have it, as well.

Funny, I thought playing for Bayern Munich and earning millions of dollars was reaching "the highest level you can".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Bit of an absurd argument IMO, loyola, given that FIFA's eligibility rules are nothing like that flexible. At least the real reason for the vitriol being aimed at Ben Knight appears to be out of the bag now, however.

lol, I saw the absurdity of my post...I think i'm tired.

BTW, I'm not a OH basher but I have a problem with Ben argument. I think he should make a difference between club and country. But I don't want to really discuss this issue again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Ya, Ben and so many others (ie Dale Barnes) have been saying this ever since the CSL collapsed.

Dale has been on the record for years stating that one dollar from each CSA/Provincial player registration would have subsidized the league very adequately. Unfortunately, the feeling of the PTB's at the time was that the governing bodies were there to only administer, not to financially assist, thus the CSA did allow the CSL to go down by allowing the 'Caps, Blizzard and a new Montreal club (the Impact) to play in the APSL leaving the CSL to whither into oblivion.

Of course, WF, you know all this as well as I do.

I would imagine that this line of thinking continues to exist amongst many clubs and associations throughout the country as short sighted as it may be although I do have some understanding of their reasoning but in the big picture, changes are needed.

All this talk of the need for second tier pro clubs in the USL is going to be nothing but hot air without some sort of subsididy from somewhere and I do not for one second believe that our smaller population centres can and/or will support USL level soccer at a level sufficient to allow the teams to survive.

It sure does illustrate how different Canada is from a country like Australia. They put heaps of taxpayer money into their programs while we in Canada do nothing but bitch and whine about our Olympic athletes receiving a few hundred bucks a month.

It's a sad state of affairs.

db

The people of this country love to complain, complain, complain. I feel were a country thats happy to have everyone live in "mediocracy" Unlike other countries people here have a problem with support given to anything that doesnt aid the masses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep Canadian Soccer is sure a mess now. No COO, no head coach, no technical director. Manage to only get 5000 fans to a big city game. As well as fans that think the team should play the countrys 4th best goalkeeper for 70% of the games while never asking the country's best goalkeeper unless 3-4 guys are injured; and that a 30-something has been striker with something like 1 goal in his last 8 games is gods gift to soccer. I used to think it was sad but now I find it amusing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by wildboy26

Yep Canadian Soccer is sure a mess now. No COO, no head coach, no technical director. Manage to only get 5000 fans to a big city game. As well as fans that think the team should play the countrys 4th best goalkeeper for 70% of the games while never asking the country's best goalkeeper unless 3-4 guys are injured; and that a 30-something has been striker with something like 1 goal in his last 8 games is gods gift to soccer. I used to think it was sad but now I find it amusing.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/27652/the_cat_came_back/

You don't say...

Seems more like a clean house than a mess.

And as usual, no need in adressing any other "points" you brought up. I think you're due a free tinfoil hat by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

The people of this country love to complain, complain, complain. I feel were a country thats happy to have everyone live in "mediocracy" Unlike other countries people here have a problem with support given to anything that doesnt aid the masses.

As I said before, "It's a sad state of affairs".

db

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...