Is JDG still an automatic starter?

Daniel

When going with the two defensive mids on the Canadian team, most people in the past few years had Hutch and Julian DeGuzman as first-choice mids. Now that he's not playing at Deportivo, would any of you play Serioux or Grande (or whoever else) in that position ahead of a healthy DeGuzman?

A valid point, however, perhaps the more pressing matter is where to play Hutch. I would like to see him play a little more forward, but still in the middle of the park. Then, behind him as D-mids, that leaves DeGuzman, Serioux and Grande as the options you mentioned. I would pick Deguz and Serioux from those three. So I guess, in my opinion, Deguzman's place in our best starting 11 is safe (we aren't that deep either!).

assuming dero is a midfielder, our strongest 4 man midfield i think still is

--------derosario

deguz---hutchinson---bernier

but with simpson and peters developing as they are, pretty soon it will be difficult not to play those 2 on the wings. in any event, im sure deguz will be playing regularly, somewhere, by the time the important games roll around. serioux and grande are competent injury cover, nothing more.

Right now, I'd see as mids:

----------DDR

Simpson----------Radz

------Hutch-----Serioux

I'd love to throw in Hume or Peters, but both play at Radz's position and he has been our top player in the past few games. Can either play on the left?

Where does Simpson play with FCK?

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

A valid point, however, perhaps the more pressing matter is where to play Hutch. I would like to see him play a little more forward, but still in the middle of the park. Then, behind him as D-mids, that leaves DeGuzman, Serioux and Grande as the options you mentioned.

Would go the opposite way myself and have Hutch more as a two way or holding mid. Radz and (perhaps moreso I've heard) DDR are evolving into high attacking midfield players. If we go with an aggressive 4-5-1 or the easier to manage 4-4-2 with Hutch as the rover and Radz or DDR as the 1st choice attacking marshal where does that leave de Guzman? From what I've seen of de Guzman this last year and change the only advantage he has over Hutch is that bite he brings to the pitch. And a touch of pace. But Hutch has wheels enough for the center of the park so that's arguable.

I like both Serioux and Grande, but only to a point. I wouldn't count either in my 1st 11 for most encounters although both bring their certain something different to the field.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

is it just me or is this the best "problem" canadian squads have ever had?

I preferred "What goalie to start against France in the World Cup" ;).

My reasoning for Serioux and Grande with Hutch is that we need a bulldog beside him and I don't know if JDG has the teeth.

I think Serioux is a good player to have on the counterattack and he brings a hardman ball winner presence to midfield. JDG on the other hand I think has a superior pass. After seeing the first game against Jamaica I noticed the chemistry and know-how he displayed on Canada's cutting runs in the attacking final third with Radz Friend and Simpson. If Serioux is playing center back with Dynamo, and many argue that's where we're the weakest, let's put him there and see what happens. Keep JDG in mid with Grande as a backup.

Guest Jeffery S.

I agree it is a good problem to have.

Last year I thought JDG did better at Depor going forward than holding. In fact his best position was attacking mid up the right. This was quite a surprise, but in any case he can handle the wing and going forwards and we have never tried him there, in what would be a back up to Radz or DeRo in a 4-3-3, or as a starter in a 4-4-2.

Having said that, I have never seen Hutch play attacking mid (I may watch him tonight though), but I have seen him defend, and he is quite good. His pass out of the back is fine. If Copenhagen is playing him further up that is credit to him.

Meaning in the holding position you would opt for Serioux I think, as he has the vigor, does not get intimidated, handles the air, has good condition. And let the other two go forwards a bit more.

A front six of Serioux holding, Hutch to the left, Julian right, behind Radz and DeRo on either side and someone bigger in the middle, maybe Friend or Occean. Hume could get into the mix as well, either from the side or up front, but that means ball on the ground and into space and not in the air. With four mids and two attackers, perhaps the three mids mentioned plus Bernier, who seems to be getting good reports.

I think our team is actually quite good right now, if we could just get Lars back and find a strong combination of centre backs, used to playing together, we are a competitive side.

Right now, in any case, I think JDG would have to be a starter or close to it for Canada, even though he is not playing at Depor.

I don't agree that Grande has more bite in the midfield than de Guzman. Having watched him with Hannover for some time, he is a proven ball winner at a high level. There is no way I would start Grande ahead of Julian assuming Julian is fit. Bernier looked quite solid in the last couple of matches, I wouldn't necessarily leave him out of the mix.

If possible a midfield with DDR, JDG, hutch, peters and maybe bernier or simpson would be a dynamic one with lots of athletes, creativity and ball winning ability. Throw friend up front with radz running around and I think you have a squad that has all the pieces to reak havoc on defences. Hopefully with a stable back line, that can become consistant keep this squad together for a couple years and keeping fingers crossed maybe integrade JDG2, possibly the kid from newcastle and you have a team for the next WC.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I don't agree that Grande has more bite in the midfield than de Guzman. Having watched him with Hannover for some time, he is a proven ball winner at a high level. There is no way I would start Grande ahead of Julian assuming Julian is fit. Bernier looked quite solid in the last couple of matches, I wouldn't necessarily leave him out of the mix.

I'd have to agree with you on this point: Grande has good vision and some playmaking skills, but he seems lacking in grit--something we witnessed in the last home game vs. Jamaica, and something he himself has attested to in the past. DeGuzman may be small, but he has a tough streak and doesn't seem intimidated by anyone. And, he does not seem as injury prone as Grande, which means he will be available more often than Sandro. (And to be clear, I rather like Grande.)

I wonder, too, if Hutch might be a better holding mid in our set up, especially with DDR showing some creative maturity in the attacking role, and with our central defense needing some strong coverage. Cheetah has a good point on this one. It would be great to get some solid delivery out of the midfield, and I think a DDR/Hutch combo, would be great, maybe Deguzman out wide with Radzinski (for now).

I want to see the roster for Hungary!

quote:Originally posted by villus

If possible a midfield with DDR, JDG, hutch, peters and maybe bernier or simpson would be a dynamic one with lots of athletes, creativity and ball winning ability. Throw friend up front with radz running around and I think you have a squad that has all the pieces to reak havoc on defences. Hopefully with a stable back line, that can become consistant keep this squad together for a couple years and keeping fingers crossed maybe integrade JDG2, possibly the kid from newcastle and you have a team for the next WC.

I'd think Hume would be ahead of Peters on that right wing.

That left side is pretty open, with Bernier, Brennan and Simpson all fighting for it.

I think a guy who doesn't get enough respect here is Bernier. He isn't a spectacular player who is going to score a bunch of cracking goals but he is quite good. He is a very determined and a very good tackler. He doesn't panic on the ball and makes good passes 95% of the time. I think that he should be someone that our coaching staff looks at as an automatic starter. ( To be fair he has started most of our games in recent memory I just don't think this board gives him enough respect.)

Bernier's performances have grown on me quite a bit. I wasn't impressed with him when I first saw him play for the MNT but his game has improved noticeably. He seems to have carried over a good season of European club football into more consistent performances for the national team.

Bernier has been inconsistent in the past, having some games where he looked promising and others where one wondered why he was even called. The last few games though he has been pretty good so if he can continue this form he should be a regular starter. Grande and especially Serioux have had a few good games for the MNT but still haven't done nearly enough that one should consider them regular starters in our increasingly competitive midfield (though Serioux should be given a chance at CB). We may expect DeGuzman to be more dominant than he has been but I think his performances have also been underated a bit as well. He has set up quite a few of our recent goals as well as some chances which should have resulted in goals had they been finished by our strikers better. Both DeGuzman and Stalteri performed far better under Ossieck than under Yallop/Hart and I think we should also wait until we have a coach who knows how to utilize such players properly before judging them. I would like DeGuzman to do more than he has in the last few matches but unless he is completely out of shape from not playing for Deporto I still think he is a steady starter. While Serioux and Grande have had a few good matches I don't think they have done enough to push DeGuzman from the starting lineup yet.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Stalteri did not play that many games under Yallop partly due to his WCQ suspension. DeGuzman did play quite a few. Neither has said so outright but I have the impression that they lacked confidence in his coaching abilities.

What a shocking opinion, coming from you ;)!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What a shocking opinion, coming from you ;)!

It may not be a shocking opinion coming from me since I also think he was not a competent coach at international level and working with top notch players (as opposed to MLS level). However, I think there are reasons why Stalteri who seemed to always come whenever called no matter who the opposition or what his club situation suddenly started not showing up. DeGuzman was also a perfect attendance guy and seemed to be missing more and more. In fact, with the exception of Radzinski who seemed to like Yallop it was all of our guys playing at the highest level who didn't seem to have full confidence in him such as Brennan, Klukowski and Hirschfeld even though he convinced Brennan and Klukowski to come back to the fold after he saw the disaster his policies created in WCQ.

Since Yallop is gone the partculars don't really matter. However, I think we have to learn from this history which is why I think we need to hire a top coach for the MNT with a good reputation and both experience and success at the international level. We need someone who will be respected not only by the youth players and career 2nd division/Scandanavian/MLS players but also someone who is respected by the players in the top leagues and clubs. Such a coach will have their respect because he will understand how to employ our best players so they can be effective and will also call and start players based on merit not on because they are his best buddies.

Let's try to keep things on topic.

I'll be curious to see what lineup is called for Hungary. MLS Cup is November 12th (a Saturday) and we play on Wednesday the 16th. Hopefully we'll have all our MLS guys to see a A- lineup (missing a few players like Brennan and Braz).

Let's try to keep things on topic.

I'll be curious to see what lineup is called for Hungary. MLS Cup is November 12th (a Saturday) and we play on Wednesday the 16th. Hopefully we'll have all our MLS guys to see a A- lineup (missing a few players like Brennan and Braz).

Archived