Canadians in Champions League

I need help so I am polling the collective genius on this site to get an answer to my question. How many Canucks have played in the Champions League.

I can think of Atiba, Stalteri, O.H., Radz, anyone else???

quote:Originally posted by 10

I need help so I am polling the collective genius on this site to get an answer to my question. How many Canucks have played in the Champions League.

I can think of Atiba, Stalteri, <s>O.H.</s>, Radz, anyone else???

Fixed your post.

Was Brugge in CL last year or am I imagining things?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You are correct. They were in a group with Bayern Munich, Juventus and Rapid Vienna. They took 3rd and played in the UEFA Cup as well.

Yes Brugge were in that group but I don't think that Klukowski played. I believe he was injured for most if not all of their games. I'm not sure on this though.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Yes Brugge were in that group but I don't think that Klukowski played. I believe he was injured for most if not all of their games. I'm not sure on this though.

He played in the CL qualifying round to get to the group stage - home and away against Valerenga, so he did in fact play Champions League officially. He also played the two games against AS Roma when they dropped into the UEFA Cup upon finishing 3rd in that group.

Champion's League qualifications are not considered part of the Champion's League. If the team is not in a high enough rated league it is not considered a true champion in the sense it is not one of the top teams in Europe unless it proves this through the qualifying process. The Champion's League concept is that it is a tournament of the top European teams with the teams not worthy of the competition being weeded out during qualification. Thus the tournament does not officially begin until the group stage. UEFA is absolutely correct not to count qualification goals. You can't compare a goal scored against say Skonto Riga to one scored against Bayern or ManU.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Champion's League qualifications are not considered part of the Champion's League. If the team is not in a high enough rated league it is not considered a true champion in the sense it is not one of the top teams in Europe unless it proves this through the qualifying process. The Champion's League concept is that it is a tournament of the top European teams with the teams not worthy of the competition being weeded out during qualification. Thus the tournament does not officially begin until the group stage. UEFA is absolutely correct not to count qualification goals. You can't compare a goal scored against say Skonto Riga to one scored against Bayern or ManU.

For the same reason that FIFA doesn't count WCQ goals for the WC golden boot.

Archived