Women's Team in Turmoil?

Breakwood

quote:Originally posted by Richard

If Hooper's lawyers really believed they had a case you can be sure it would have been before the courts before now.

If the CSA's lawyers also think the 3 players have a case you can be sure this thing won't go to the courts and will be resolve by an agreement by both parties.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Hooper's lawyers really believed they had a case you can be sure it would have been before the courts before now.

Your support seems to be firmly to the old boy's club so I wonder why I bother. Nonetheless, let me say that once again you have formed an opinion on no facts and posted it. The very same sin that you continually admonish others for.

The fact is, there is no proof of that very clearly pro-Pellerud/CSA statement. The last I heard, the 3 ladies had gone to sports dispute centre route but after a month of waiting were told that they could not get a hearing there until they had EXHAUSTED internal processes. As such, they are doing that. The fact that their 3 month suspensions ended has no bearing on the continued effort to get to the bottom of this.

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing whatsoever stopping Hooper and crew from bringing a civil suit against all the people and organisations they have a beef with, but it is not happening. Their carding status may well have been reinstated but if they are not participating in the program it won't last. Carding money has a lot of strings attached. I have no axe to grind. If any rules or laws have been broken the guilty, no matter who they, are must bear the consequences.

...I have no axe to grind...

Glad to hear.

There must be lots of strings attached to carding money as you say. I have not checked it out. For sure it would not be prudent to just give it away willy-nilly. Would you say that Kerfoot's camp money also had strings attached?

quote:

... I have no axe to grind ...

quote:

"Hooper in particular has been behaving in an unacceptable fashion lately when it comes to the WNT program. There is no way there could be any peace, harmony and singleminded purpose in the WNT camp now if these three ever came back. Good riddance."

"Wonder whether Hooper will have the grace to decline RONA's money now that she is no longer a member of the WNT, somehow I doubt it."

"Frankly it strikes me Charmaine Hooper has got just a little too big for her boots and she has dragged the other two down with her."

"she has made herself a has-been as far as the national team is concerned. Sad but she has made herself the author of her own destruction."

And that's only from the first few pages in this one thread...

quote:Originally posted by Vic

And that's only from the first few pages in this one thread...

What particular personal interest do you have in a 39 year old player that has been causing disruptions in the program of late and was not particularly outstanding in her last few outings with the WNT? I watched her play against Germany and Holland in Vancouver and she was mediocre at best. I have said all along that her past contributions to the program were outstanding and that she deserves all the credit she gets for them, but of late her behaviour as reported in the public domain has left much to be desired. I don't think the program will really miss a 39 year old striker and she is very likely all too aware of that. To retire gracefully, in good standing with the program and her fans would probably have been a better choice but I suspect money got in the way.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Are you guys seriously starting this same 17 page arguement over again?

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until we hear of the decision from the SDRCC and its consequences. There will be a few more pages of discussion then.

A bit of cheer for st paddys day weekend to all the Canadian soccer fans.

May those who love us,

Love us.

And those who do not love us,

May God turn their hearts.

And if He doesn't turn their hearts,

May He turn their ankles,

So we'll know them by their limping.

Go bhfana í ngrá linn,

Iad siúd atá í ngrá linn.

Iad siúd nach bhfuil,

Go gcasa Dia a gcroíthe.

Agus muna gcasann Sé a gcroíthe

Go gcasa Sé caol na coise acu

Go n-aithneoimid iad as a mbacadaíl.

Kind of applies to soccer dont you think?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

As a fan of the womens team, I could care less if I see Hooper again.

She's approaching 40 and the team is doing fine without here disruptive influence.

While I agree that she may not have a large to play with this team in the years to come, her argument is based on principle, and if she's right, I think she needs to carry on with the fight for the better of the program. If she's wrong, well, we'll soon find that out I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

The CSA hangs three of Canadas best players and one of the worlds best out to dry and we silently appease it.

How Canadian is that?

Meanwhile Fifa does this:

"I was invited by FIFA President, Joseph S. Blatter, and the FIFA Executive Committee to attend the FIFA World Player Gala 2006. The gala, with a "Football meets Mozart” theme, took place in the Zurich Opera House on Monday, December 18.

The evening began when international soccer stars, FIFA officials, FIFA committee members and other invited guests arrived at the opera house. I felt like a star attending the Grammys as I walked down the red carpet with some of the world’s best-known players and fans jostled for position to get photos of their favourites.

How much contrasting evidence is this, that we allowed and are complicit in the CSA destruction of soccer in Canada?

Nobody has denied or tried to take away from the contribution Hooper has made to the national team program until this latest incident. Her contribution has been recognised here at home and evidently also by FIFA and so it should be. She perhaps even deserves a place in the soccer hall of fame for that contribution and her longevity in the game if nothing else, but her latest shenanigans may have spoiled her chances and certainly have left a bad taste in the mouths of some.

Perhaps she has finally realised that she made a bad PR move and was not helping her chances of ever making it back on the WNT roster which would explain why she seems to have gone quiet. As far as I understand it she is only eligible for the carding money she craved if she actively participates in the program so the whole issue of reinstatement becomes moot I suspect.

Archived