Inaugural Women’s Peace Queen Cup [R]

terpfan68

Just saw Canada beat Italy 3-2. Canada controlled the match, even if they lapsed for periods during the second half. I was most impressed by Martina Franco, who was dominant and had a brilliant set-up for Sinclair's second goal. Jodi-Ann Robinson's goal was impressive as well, gaining control of the ball and dribbling around a defender while being held. I was less impressed by the defense knocking long balls aimlessly up the field. Italy played a quick passing game and had decent speed, but were weaker than Canada. Hope they fix whatever went wrong in the second half and go into the next game with confidence.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and he is going to waste Kerfoot money by teaching the womens the kick and style

I dont see what is really at stake in this tournament to resort to kick and run and uninspired soccer

the residency and the peace cup is suppose to be part of the preparation for the gold cup and for the future

look like we will see more of the same kick and run game, all he is going to do is use every opportunity to perfect it

and ignore skillful and creative players since it will only slow down his master plan of kick and run.

so if you want to witness inspiring soccer the WNT is to be avoided at all cost you better adopt a team like Mexico or the USA or do like millions of Canadians saty home dont bother with it all.

find yourself a different sport to support.

When Australia defeats Holland 1-0 and the U.S. barely gets a tie 1-1 against Denmark, it is sure a sign of changing times. Right now it appears that most of the regular countries with half decent programs are all even. Anyone can win against anybody else. Brazil only 1-0 over Korea. Canada's only more healthy score of 3 goals, but then we surrendered a lead of 2-0 to end 3-2 agains the Italian ragazzas. There may be more surprises yet to come.

It's funny that all these years I always have maintained that if soccer is to get the recognition it deserves in Canada it will have to be through our more than amazing and marvelous girls.

I think this is happening right now. Wait and see guys.

Canada will advance to the finals (probably against the US who won over Australia today 2 - 0)if they win or draw against Brazil. Brazil will probably have to put more people up front because they must win and have not played up to their potential as yet. Will Canada "play" for the tie? Or will it be an offensive game for both teams? Is there still "bad blood" between the teams from the under-19 tournament four years ago?

Interesting. Does Fifa take the results of the games into consideration for world rankings if they don't send their top team to an international competition? Wouldn't this risk a chance for a seeded position in the world cup? Is this the kind of action fifa would like to incourage or discourage. Obviously you don't always play your "best" players since they are not always available and you often want to try out new players, but to send a whole different team -- does that make any sense?

The "real" Brazilian team is currently in camp in preparation for S. American WWC qualifying that starts next week. The team that was sent to Korea was sponsored by a local club team and for the most part is composed of a lot of great (former) Brazilian players like Katia and their keeper is Marahvelia (sp?).

In any case, like Sigma said, it doesn't appear that it'll be FIFA recongized game.

Canada won 4-2 this morning.

The posting on the Canada Soccer Website implied that Canadian players were "capped" for the Brazil Game. "Leisha Alcia earned her first cap for Canada replacing Erin McLeod at the 77th minute mark."

Why would Brazil accept a spot in the tournament if they knew that they would be training for their own qualification matches? Is it usual for National Teams to do what Brazil did? Did the tournament organizers "think" they were getting the real team from Brazil? Did other teams (US, Australia, etc.) do the same thing? I figured Canada used this as a tune-up for the Gold Cup and that the other teams would do the same.

U.S. to face Canada in final

SUWON, South Korea (CP) - The U.S. defeated the Netherlands 2-0 Thursday to advance to Saturday's final against Canada at the women's soccer Peace Queen Cup,

The American win was soured by a red card to Kristine Lilly about 10 minutes before the end of the match and an ankle injury to Abby Wambach.

The United States finished atop Group B in the inaugural invitational tournament with seven points after tying Denmark and beating Asian Cup runner-up Australia 2-0.

Canada topped Group A with nine points after defeating Italy, South Korea and Brazil.

Lindsay Tarpley gave the Americans the lead in the 27th minute and defender Cat Whitehill beat five players to make it 2-0 in injury time.

Denmark finished tied with the U.S. on points but had a poorer goal difference after only mustering a 2-1 win over Australia on Thursday. The Danes needed to win by four goals to steal the group lead and advance to the final.

U.S. to face Canada in final

SUWON, South Korea (CP) - The U.S. defeated the Netherlands 2-0 Thursday to advance to Saturday's final against Canada at the women's soccer Peace Queen Cup,

The American win was soured by a red card to Kristine Lilly about 10 minutes before the end of the match and an ankle injury to Abby Wambach.

The United States finished atop Group B in the inaugural invitational tournament with seven points after tying Denmark and beating Asian Cup runner-up Australia 2-0.

Canada topped Group A with nine points after defeating Italy, South Korea and Brazil.

Lindsay Tarpley gave the Americans the lead in the 27th minute and defender Cat Whitehill beat five players to make it 2-0 in injury time.

Denmark finished tied with the U.S. on points but had a poorer goal difference after only mustering a 2-1 win over Australia on Thursday. The Danes needed to win by four goals to steal the group lead and advance to the final.

Once again Pellerud's style proves ineffective. The U.S. winning 1-0 on the final cup and taking home the $200,000 purse. I counted the giveaways for a space of about 30 minutes. The U.S. had 7 and Canada 23. Pretty hard for our girls if we keep giving the ball away. Regardless, it was close but no cigar.

Look, the US is second ranked in the world and Canada is tied for 10th. In my book this is a pretty good result. They have 10 times the population, a university system that supports women's soccer, a climate that is condusive to playing soccer outside in the winter and we loose 1 - 0. I really think that some people will only be happy when Canada wins 6 - 0 while controlling the ball 80% of the time. The women's team should be happy with the result. (We'll get them back in the Gold Cup.)

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Look, the US is second ranked in the world and Canada is tied for 10th. In my book this is a pretty good result. They have 10 times the population, a university system that supports women's soccer, a climate that is condusive to playing soccer outside in the winter and we loose 1 - 0. I really think that some people will only be happy when Canada wins 6 - 0 while controlling the ball 80% of the time. The women's team should be happy with the result. (We'll get them back in the Gold Cup.)

No one is saying that. What we are saying is why cant we just try to play a skilled control game with crisp passing and dynamic play. If we came out and tried to play that way and lost 3-0, we wouldn't care. The kick and run style was more effective when womens soccer was in its infancy several years ago. As womens soccer develops and the players and teams become more skilled, there is a worry that Canada is going to be left in the dust playing its archiac brand of kick and run while other nations take leaps forward in the quality of their game.

I agree that soccer more enjoyable to watch when played as a ball control game, but the game is still played to win and you use a style that will win. Canada is playing to the style of the players on the team. We have big strong players. Knock the ball down and get a quick attack. Hit anything that moves in our defensive half. Check out the number of fouls the team committs. Watch how other players shy away when the Canadians attack the ball carrier. (hockey's influence no doubt) Pellerud is just fitting a system to the players instead of the players to a system and he has been successful. Everyone who logs on to this forum would love to have the men's team as successful as the women's.

Archived