Inaugural Women’s Peace Queen Cup [R]

terpfan68

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

I agree that soccer more enjoyable to watch when played as a ball control game, but the game is still played to win and you use a style that will win. Canada is playing to the style of the players on the team. We have big strong players. Knock the ball down and get a quick attack. Hit anything that moves in our defensive half. Check out the number of fouls the team committs. Watch how other players shy away when the Canadians attack the ball carrier. (hockey's influence no doubt) Pellerud is just fitting a system to the players instead of the players to a system and he has been successful. Everyone who logs on to this forum would love to have the men's team as successful as the women's.

So if the women started trying to pass the ball around they could no longer continue to be aggressive defensivley? Their tackles would no longer hurt as much because they now passed the ball when they got it? Yes the women are big and strong, imagine how much more effective that physical effectiveness would be if they werent chasing the ball around a lot of the time. Teams we could beat easily in the mid - late 90's are passing us. Teach a u12 team to play kick and run and it may work, sure, continue to ask them to do it years later when their an u18 and other team's players have developed skills and play the game properly and being the biggest player on the field doesnt mean that much anymore, and that once great kick and run game will get blown out by a skillfull opponent.The Mens team would love to have the same level of success as the ladies, no doubt, but my god look who the womens team has to beat to qualify for the world cup or the olympics, how many countries out there give their women decent funding, how many countries allow their women to play sports? Their success is relative to the level of competition in womens soccer, which while slowly growing, is an absolute joke compared to mens soccer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But were the players selected because they could pass and/or control the ball? And if you had selected the best passers would they have been as successful as the players on the national team. Check out the population of the countries ranked ahead of Canada.

Germany 82 Million (The like to play rough too.)

USA 300 Million

Norway 4.6 Million

Brazil 188 Million

Sweden 9 Million

France 60.8 Million

Korea DPR 23 Million (With the ususal communistic support for sport)

China 1 313 Million (Didn't we beat them in the last WWC.)

Denmark 5.4 Million

Italy 58 Million

Canada 33 Million

All of the countries ahead of Canada have a strong football (soccer) tradition except for the US. The US wins because of numbers and their University system that requires as many scholarships for Females as Males. (some of those females are Canadian.-- we let them train our best players.) The Nordic countries come off very well probably because of the higher status of women in those countries otherwise the South Americans would rule women's soccer. We do well in spite of our disadvantages -- Spread out population, low funding, long winter, low support for sport in Universities (and High Schools)and I might add infighting by soccer bodies. We should be sporting training for twice as many female (and male) players. Sure, keep sending them off to US universities. (We don't have to pay them their card money while they are attending.) The extra competition for spots on the National team would in and of itself improve performance. How many Kara Langs didn't get identified? It would have been nice to have several of them to choose from. Then change the style of play so those who post on this site would have something else to complain about.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

U.S. to face Canada in final

SUWON, South Korea (CP) - The U.S. defeated the Netherlands 2-0 Thursday to advance to Saturday's final against Canada at the women's soccer Peace Queen Cup,

The American win was soured by a red card to Kristine Lilly about 10 minutes before the end of the match and an ankle injury to Abby Wambach.

The United States finished atop Group B in the inaugural invitational tournament with seven points after tying Denmark and beating Asian Cup runner-up Australia 2-0.

Canada topped Group A with nine points after defeating Italy, South Korea and Brazil.

Lindsay Tarpley gave the Americans the lead in the 27th minute and defender Cat Whitehill beat five players to make it 2-0 in injury time.

Denmark finished tied with the U.S. on points but had a poorer goal difference after only mustering a 2-1 win over Australia on Thursday. The Danes needed to win by four goals to steal the group lead and advance to the final.

So Lilly scores the winning goal today. Why was she even playing in the final when she was handed a red card against the Dutch?

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

So if the women started trying to pass the ball around they could no longer continue to be aggressive defensivley? Their tackles would no longer hurt as much because they now passed the ball when they got it? Yes the women are big and strong, imagine how much more effective that physical effectiveness would be if they werent chasing the ball around a lot of the time. Teams we could beat easily in the mid - late 90's are passing us. Teach a u12 team to play kick and run and it may work, sure, continue to ask them to do it years later when their an u18 and other team's players have developed skills and play the game properly and being the biggest player on the field doesnt mean that much anymore, and that once great kick and run game will get blown out by a skillfull opponent.The Mens team would love to have the same level of success as the ladies, no doubt, but my god look who the womens team has to beat to qualify for the world cup or the olympics, how many countries out there give their women decent funding, how many countries allow their women to play sports? Their success is relative to the level of competition in womens soccer, which while slowly growing, is an absolute joke compared to mens soccer.

1. There are NO teams that Canada could beat easily in the 90's that are passing us. Who do you think you're kidding?

Canada lost 9-1 to the USA in the 2000 Pacific Cup and that was representative of what Canada was capable of in the late 90's. Fast forward to 2006 and Canada loses a close 1-0 match to the same team - and does so without Hooper, Nonen, Latham, Lang, Timko and Thorlakson. This speaks volumes about Canada's growing depth.

Here's what is real - since the original FIFA points were set on Dec '02, Canada has gained more points than ANY other top 10 team period.

2. Ball control is important. This was the best ball control game I've seen Canada play against the USA and I've seen a lot of them. It was also the most I've seen Canada put the USA on their heels in any previous meeting. Note: I didn't see Canada's 3-1 win over the USA in Columbus, Nov. 2000. I also understand that Canada had the USA on their heels in the 2003 Algarve Cup, but it wasn't televised in North Anerica.

3. Canada plays a fast attack style - some call it 'direct', others 'long ball'. Teams like China play a 'possession' style - in fact one could argue that China may be the most possession oriented team in the world. While Canada has risen the most points among top 10 teams, China has the opposite record. Styles don't win games - execution does. That's why Canada beat China in the 2003 WWC quarter-finals. More importantly, recent wins over higher ranked teams like Sweden, France and Italy bode well for Canada's preparation for the 2007 WWC.

4. Any comparison to the men's game is pointless. Each situation is unique. There is one similarity though - there are 'haves' and 'have-nots' for both genders. In the men's game, Canada, is clearly one of the 'have-nots'. The opposite is true on the women's side. Is your glass half full, or half empty?

CAFAN: Thanks for the history lesson. I had no idea that the improvement was that dramatic!!!

I first started following the Canadian Women's team when my daughters' team hosted a picnic for the PanAm team when the games were in Winnipeg. I particularly liked the Under-19 team's success. I followed Christine Sinclair's career at Portland and regularly check the US College websites where Canadian women are playing. I would like to know if anyone gives Pellerud credit for the improved proformance of the team. The only blemish I see is the failure to qualify for the Olympics. I just hope we get a favorable draw for the WC. Good Job ladies.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Today Soccer Steve did. Does that count?:)

Pellerud has helped Canada get improved results, but they are not good performances. The team is very skilled, but he insists on them playing an unskilled style.

Ok,Ok, I get it. We will get 10 judges and each will represent a football playing country from each continent (except Australia which is part of Asia now)and they will give "style" points from 1 to 10 to the nearest tenth.) All will judge and we will throw out the high and low score. The points will be added and we will know the winner. Imagine the suspense -- 50 000 fans waiting for the announcement. China 72.4 Germany 70.3 The actual score of Germany 2 China 1. Well, what did that prove? Germany was slightly lucker than China.

Instead, lets just count the number of times each team puts the ball in the net.

Next update according to the fifa site is in December, the 22 I think. Maybe someone has done the math with the complicated formula and worked out an update, like they do with the BCS in US collegiate football. They certainly should be above Italy and with a win and a tie with France and France's loss to England they might have caught Italy, Denmark, and perhaps Korea DPR amd Framce. Still with only 16 teams in the WWC there is noway they will get a top seed. I figure China (host), Germany, USA and Norway or perhaps Brazil. For best results I would like to get in a group with Brazi/Norway or host China (watch out for the refs.)

Archived