Euro 2007 Under-21 [R]

amacpher

Interesting occurance in Sweden right now. After losing the first-leg 3-nil at home, Serbia looked to be done. But incredibly they've taken a 5-nil lead in Sweden! About 30 minutes to go in the match.

The seven winners from this week's qualifying playoffs join the host and defending champions, the Netherlands, in the Euro 2007 U-21 final tournament to take place in June.

Guest Jeffery S.

Spain lose at home to Italy 1-2 after a draw away and are out of the next Olympics, that is to Olympic tournaments in a row they will miss.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by River City

Heartbreak for the Russians...celebration for the 'putos'....btw, puto in Potuguese has a way different meaning than it does in spanish.

Puto could be a male whore in Spanish, and "puti" are cherubs in historical painting, often accompanying some depiction of a god, which I think is a plural of "puto" as well.

What is a puto in Portuguese?

Not that I was allowed to say it growing up, but the closest meaning I can think of would be a 'Young Turk'.

I believe the history is that 3rd year students at Coimbra (one of Europe's oldest Universities) were refered to as Putos (probably due to reasons related to the Spanish meaning), and the term then became used to describe any young male with a bright future ahead of them.

I think in Brasil though puto means gay.

Here's a link to yesterday's 'O Jogo' - Portuguese soccer/sports daily.

http://www.ojogo.pt/22-232/index.htm

Archived