Paul Hamilton

Bxl Boy

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Of course, The young talent in MLS is spread around, and obviously TFC would not be putting all of the young talent on the field at once. Which why we ultimately need at least 3 teams in MLS, supported by a host of USL squads.

Well we just saw that the MLS and USL First Division could not co-exist in Canada's biggest market. The result will most likely be the same in Vancouver and Montreal.

So tell me Rudi ? If Canada's 3 largest markets have MLS clubs, what are chances that the rest of Canada can support 7-9 USL First Division clubs ? What are the odds of this succeeding ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

So tell me Rudi ? If Canada's 3 largest markets have MLS clubs, what are chances that the rest of Canada can support 7-9 USL First Division clubs ? What are the odds of this succeeding ?

The odds of 7-9 USL1 teams in Canada at the same time are almost non-existant, regardless of whether there is 1 MLS club or 20.

We've had, at most, 5 USL1 clubs in Canada at the same time, with the two Alberta teams performing abysmally both on and off the field for the five minutes they both existed.

That being said, in my mind, the optimal (semi-realistic) situation for Canada would be 3 MLS clubs in the biggest cities, along with USL1 clubs in places like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Quebec City.

Of course, I don't believe that this will happen, as there is almost no market for even USL1 calibre soccer outside of the Big 3.

Edmonton and Calgary had the same attendance figures as Toronto by and large. The spectacular failure of the Edmonton franchise had a lot to do with Calgary dropping out. I suspect that both cities could and would support an USL franchise if done right although I admit that may be considered by realists as an overly optimistic view.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Edmonton and Calgary had the same attendance figures as Toronto by and large.

No denying that.

Then again, no one is pointing to the Lynx is the example of 'success'. The difference being that the Lynx knew their limitations (to a fault), while the Alberta teams (Edmonton especially) were far too ambitious from the get-go.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Well we just saw that the MLS and USL First Division could not co-exist in Canada's biggest market. The result will most likely be the same in Vancouver and Montreal.

You seem absolutely unable to view any other factors in your total bias against MLS, WF. I don't know whether a USL and MLS team could survive together in Toronto but the Lynx current situation has far more to do with incompetent owners who incidentally also had a large part to play in killing off the last proposal for the national league you favour so much. Under the Hartrells, even a single USL franchise alone was not going to survive unless they were getting big tax advantages from the losses. A well run USL franchise with competent owners might indeed be able to coexist with TFC.

quote:So tell me Rudi ? If Canada's 3 largest markets have MLS clubs, what are chances that the rest of Canada can support 7-9 USL First Division clubs ? What are the odds of this succeeding ?

The odds of Canada supporting 7-9 USL franchises in the near future are low but even still much higher than the odds of us supporting an independent league with a similar number of franchises even if the MLS was not there. TFC (and hopefully future Montreal and Vancouver MLS franchises) will at least raise the prominence of soccer in Canada and make it more likely rather than less likely that secondary markets will be interested in a pro franchise at the USL level. You should at least give MLS a chance and see what happens instead of constantly bitching half a year before TFC has even played a game. Especially since your preferred Canadian league is not a viable alternative at the moment, ie. the choice is not between MLS and a Canadian league but between one to three MLS franchises and one to three USL franchises and I think the preferrable option is quite clear.

The USL will come back to Alberta. I just hope it starts out as PDL franchises though to make sure they build it properly prior to going full scale USL.

When Montreal and Vancouver jump to the MLS (assuming it's still around), the only other pro possibility for other Canadian cities will be the USL. I will always prefer a Canadian league though, but at this point, the only that would happen is if MLSE or MLS goes belly up and the money Kerfoot and Saputo would've sunk into MLS is invested in a CSL.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

You seem absolutely unable to view any other factors in your total bias against MLS, WF. I don't know whether a USL and MLS team could survive together in Toronto but the Lynx current situation has far more to do with incompetent owners who incidentally also had a large part to play in killing off the last proposal for the national league you favour so much. Under the Hartrells, even a single USL franchise alone was not going to survive unless they were getting big tax advantages from the losses. A well run USL franchise with competent owners might indeed be able to coexist with TFC.

The odds of Canada supporting 7-9 USL franchises in the near future are low but even still much higher than the odds of us supporting an independent league with a similar number of franchises even if the MLS was not there. TFC (and hopefully future Montreal and Vancouver MLS franchises) will at least raise the prominence of soccer in Canada and make it more likely rather than less likely that secondary markets will be interested in a pro franchise at the USL level. You should at least give MLS a chance and see what happens instead of constantly bitching half a year before TFC has even played a game. Especially since your preferred Canadian league is not a viable alternative at the moment, ie. the choice is not between MLS and a Canadian league but between one to three MLS franchises and one to three USL franchises and I think the preferrable option is quite clear.

My 'total bias against MLS', as you put it, has nothing to do with MLS, and everything to do with the stated CSA goal for professional soccer in this country.

MLS in Canada will only work if it has the proper pyramid underneath it, for player development. Even KP realizes that, and has clearly stated as such.

I actually have no problem with MLS, the problem is what takes place under MLS. I, like everyone else on this forum I'm sure, simply can not see 7-9 USL First DIvsion clubs in Canada. And I am sure even you would admitt that the chance of USL First Division and MLS existing in the same market is remote at best.

So if the professional player development pyramid is defficient, and there isn't sufficient Canadians being produced, what would be the only viable solution for Canada's MLS teams ? Obviously to eliminate the quoto on Canadian players. How long will Canada's MLS franchises continue with quoto's, when the clubs underneath them do not need one ? Not very long.

The odds of 7-9 USL First Division clubs, is not higher than a Canadian league, because the odds of 7-9 USL clubs is almost negligible. So yes, a Canadian option at this point is as viable. Simply because the CSA is not pursuing it at this point, does not mean that it is not viable. A CSL club could be operated cheaper than a USL First Division club, and would probably have a greater chance of existing alongside an MLS franchise. You would be more likely to tap into the larger Canadian markets, because the cost would be less,as would demands on proper infrastructure, and you would have a substantially higher amount of Canadians on the field, thus benefitting both Canada and MLS.

If the CSA can secure ten's of millions in public and corporate support for a stadium, it would take a fraction of that to make a CSL a viable reality. And it could certainly be argued that both Canada and MLS would be better served.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Please, the debate here is not about MLS

Would the moderators moderate a bit ?

The problem is about scouting

And, MLS or not, if that boy doesn't make a pro team for any (generally bad) reason, so, yes, there's a problem

The problem is not scouting, the problem is player development.

I wonder if his ability was exaggerated based on the competition level? If he has the qualities he alone should be putting himself in a position for professional opportunities in this country, the one to south, and possibly even abroad.

Is he a talent? I'll take the word of two bias opinions, as yes in fact he is. If so, let's supply him with the information on how to advance his career - Has anyone bothered to ask if he has any professional aspirations? I don't know what he is in school for but maybe it is for something noble such as Child Abuse research????

We haved argued many times about the Canadian league concept. Maybe it would cost the same as the stadium and TFC but the fact of the matter is the CSA can find people to invest in MLS and a Toronto stadium and I have seen no evidence to date that anyone would be willing to invest similar money in a Canadian league. The CSA already tried to establish this and even the USL team owners were uncooperative so why should they go down the same road a few years later. Even if a Canadian league were established the level of play would be significantly below that of the current USL other than the Impact and Whitecaps who probably wouldn't want to join anyway.

The whole idea of the MLS plan is to improve slowly on the very imperfect situation we currently have. 7-9 USL franchises is an ideal that is a long ways off but increasing the level of play in the Toronto Montreal and Vancouver markets as well as hopefully adding a few more teams at the USL is certainly an improvement. At some point if we can develop enough strong clubs with solid fan bases they might decide to split off from the American system and form their own league. As far as the pyramid goes, I think we have enough players to supply one MLS team though since some are still under contract the first year might be tough. If we have three MLS teams we will definitely have to produce more talent. Don't forget though that since the quota in USL has been removed, that the USL pyramid for Canadians to develop now includes 12 USL teams not just the 2 remaining Canadian teams. As long as we are developing enough good young players the removal of quotas is in general good for Canada. I think we will see more and more Canadian players on American USL teams in the future. Eventually I also think a removal of a quota for Canadian/American players in the MLS will be good for us as well. At the moment it would not be because we don't have enough players out of contract of the level to play in MLS but in a few years and in the long term I think this will be good for Canada. What our players need the most is to have a decent league where they can play and develop without restriction whether that means playing in Vancouver of Houston.

I don't see why we have to discuss this in a thread that is supposed to be about Paul Hamilton. It seems that you are putting in snide, sarcastic remarks on this issue on almost every thread you participate in. If you disagree with the CSA approach then why not just start your own thread to discuss the issue there.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I wonder if his ability was exaggerated based on the competition level? If he has the qualities he alone should be putting himself in a position for professional opportunities in this country, the one to south, and possibly even abroad.

Is he a talent? I'll take the word of two bias opinions, as yes in fact he is. If so, let's supply him with the information on how to advance his career - Has anyone bothered to ask if he has any professional aspirations? I don't know what he is in school for but maybe it is for something noble such as Child Abuse research????

I don't think you can claim everyone posting things about him is biased. The thread was started by bxlboy who just happened to see him at a tournament and thought he stood out. Even ditty who was his coach seemed to be quite objective in evaluating his talent. Your other points though are legitimate, he should be scouted but he also has to make some efforts in this regard himself. Obviously there is a big difference even between the USL level and the level he is currently playing and we do not know if he has professional aspirations. This is not to overlook the fact that yes there are deficiencies in how we scout players as well as deficiencies in the number of options available for player development.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

[br

I don't see why we have to discuss this in a thread that is supposed to be about Paul Hamilton. It seems that you are putting in snide, sarcastic remarks on this issue on almost every thread you participate in. If you disagree with the CSA approach then why not just start your own thread to discuss the issue there.

Firstly, my arguements are concise and logical. Sorry if you consider that snide, you should check your last post that you refer to as 'bitching.'

Secondly, this most certainly is related to Paul Hamilton, because our current system of player development has failed him, along with hundreds of other promising young Canucks.

Thirdly, your arguements regarding our professional scene has enough holes to drive a Mac truck through. Lot's of wishful thinking and hoping for the best. Simply put, that is unacceptable (not on you, but the CSA). Why would I pursue a plan (7-9 USL) that is doomed to fail.

But as you wish, I will cease further posts on this thread. Here's hoping Hamilton can make a go of it in Europe, and defy the odds.

I am responding to the thread on Paul Hamilton to set a few things straight. I have coached Paul since he was 12 as either his coach or his technical director at Foothills in Calgary. I have been haed coach of the Foothills Irish B18 for the past two years.

The challenge that Paul has faced is that there has been a log jam of defenders in this age group in Alberta. Harman Braich (1988, 6'3", UofA), Matt Culo (1988, 6'2", St. Bonaventure NCAA 1), Bruno Napoleao (1988, 5'9", TWU) and Curtis Ridley (1988, 6'2", Concordia, ACAC)are all from Edmonton and were all selected to the national team program and/or Alberta provincial team program beginning at age 13-14.

Paul was a very late physical developer compared to these boys. He had a massive growth spurt at around age 16 and when he went from about 5'8" to about 6'2" in a span of about 14-16 months. He was "Bambi on ice", and even though his techniques and game awareness have always been sound, he was labeled as "too slow" and this inaccurate label has followed him. Paul has developed into the premier defender in his age group in Alberta, in part becuase of his dedication and committment. He has joined and likely now surpassed, many of the players who once were in front of him. He is not lightning quick, but he has good functional speed and great game intelligence. His kicking, passing and heading are in an elite class - pro class. His defending is stellar as many of you have seen.

Techncial evelopment has not been the issue with Paul as some of you have suggested, the issue is that there is not a advelopment path for him to follow. Paul was not exposed to NCAA coaches in part because our team is a working class team from a working class club and travel and exposure are expensive. We have traveled very little compared to many teams and that has likley hurt Paul. Without access to the provincial and NTC programs, Paul was left to develop in club setting (a good one we think), but he needed more than that to get an opportunity.

Paul has a European passport (his parents are from England) and he is still growing (his older brother is 6'5"). When he fills out he will be even more remarkable. Next summer he will will likely get to play PDL with the new team that is starting here in Calgary, and it is possible that an NCAA transfer could be in the mix at some point (which would be too bad for CBU). Perhaps a trial in the UK can come about through the exposure and dvelopment that Paul will get in the coming two years.

Go Hills!

Ha. Well, thanks for that. Sounds a bit of a Dark Horse for a footballing career, things being what they were and are but that's as bright a report as could ever be expected. Sometimes lads bloom late, physicaly that is. But I think it's harder to train the older kids to have "an eye" for the flow of the game than it is to develop some of the other skills so if he's got that, it's a usefull gift.

6'2" and growing? Oy. Get that man in a red shirt, NOW!

"Bambi on ice"

He's red. He's red.

His feet stick out of bed.

Ham-il-ton!

Ham-il-ton!

I think he brings up a great point that if a guy doesnt catch on with the national/provincial program, and his team doesn't travel, he can't really progess. I've still never understead how some Ontario teams afford to go to tournaments all over the United States, do their parents pay for it all? Here in Halifax, a team will go to a tournament in quebec once every few years or occasionally to somewhere like New Hampshire+New England once in the kids youth career if their extremely lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Brother of Capers soccer player dies in car accident

SYDNEY - The brother of Cape Breton University Capers men’s soccer player Paul Hamilton died as the result of a single-vehicle accident just north of Calgary Wednesday morning.

Twenty-one-year-old Mark Hamilton of Calgary was on his way to work at Kamp Kiwanis for underprivileged children, located 25 kilometres west of Calgary near the hamlet of Bragg Creek.

"He hit a patch of black ice and the car spun out of control," said Capers head coach Robbie Chiasson, who spent most of the day with younger brother Paul, an 18-year-old fullback on his team.

"I met (Mark) and he’s a good kid. I was up in Quebec for the under-18 nationals that Paul played in and Mark was the team manager."

Chiasson said along with Paul, many of the players on his team were shaken by the news.

"He’s a tough kid," said Chiasson of Paul. "I’ve been with him for a good part of the day as well as his teammates. I know if it was me, I don’t know if I could handle it.

"He’s carried himself pretty well, especially being that far away from home. Being on a team and having the support group around him of other players has probably been a lot easier to handle than if he was here on his own."

Paul Hamilton was named an Atlantic University Sport all-star and the AUS rookie of the year this season. The tragedy comes only days after the Capers were eliminated from the semifinal of the AUS championship at the University of New Brunswick Saturday.

However, Chiasson said soccer was the last thing on his team’s mind after hearing Wednesday’s news.

"It obviously takes you back to reality," said Chiasson. "You realize at the end of the day that soccer is a game and life, family and friends go a lot further."

Paul will be leaving this morning to fly up to Calgary to be with his parents, father John and mother Chris.

• 7 months later...

Archived