Neil Davidson: Friend Belongs With Canada

Winnipeg Fury

So dumb that for 32 months, and for 20 months, I have been entirely right and other fans instead just ask confused "why was Lars not called this time, I dont understand it" "why Lars will just be called for the next game I guess", "there must be a reason Lars was not called, I hope they give an explanation". While others spend almost 2 years, and in a certain way almost 3 years, being confused I simply just see happening what I knew would all along for a long time, as Lars being excluded from Canadian Soccer was very obvious for a long time, thus no need for confusion or surprise when you can see the obvious and are not naive.

quote:Originally posted by wildboy26

1. He is not liked by the other players on the team as well, and it is about putting a "buddies group" together, not the best players.

2. He does not accept trading starting and backups for games well, which also goes against the big happy family concept of the CSA.

3. To put the best people in certain positions off the teams is done to create an illusion that the team is better then they are since "wow so and so are not good enough to make the team". That is to those who are naive that is.

4. He dares to speak out against coaches and people he does not like in the assocation in the past rather then toe the party line

5. The CSA are run by fools who would not know talent if it hit them in the face, thus they conclude despite success a more talented person is a less talented person then others coming up who was just getting lucky, thus plan to remove him in favor of those supposably(but not in reality true)more talented people.

6. The desire to have the goalkeeper role, a more prestigious role be held by somebody from Central Canada for marketing purposes.

Wildboy, I'm embarassed for you. Lars is not that much better of a keeper than Kenny or Greg, or any of the others. While he surely is talented, he is not being conspired against. Quit trying to run up your post totals, and give it a rest.

The last poster is an example of not only the naivety of the Canadian Soccer fans, but the foolishness as well. Lars not better then Kenny Stampooloos, LOL! Canadian Soccer fans and the Canadian Soccer association strangely enough are the only ones stupid enough to think that. Strangely how nobody outside of Canada, especialy the European leagues are not recently intelligent enough to see how Kenny is the superior goalkeeper, only Canadian Soccer fans somehow are blind enough to see what nobody else can.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Than, not then.

/5th grade education serves me well

1st things 1st. Anyone who knows my grasp of spelling, the Queen's English and all things literacy related will understand why I'm pissing myself laughing over that post.

Ah. Well, now that that's over.

<Mod>

Hi, this is getting stale. I'm all for topic evolution and lively back and forth sparring but this is getting old. Sheesh. Let's not allow this topic (for what little life it may have left in it) to spend it's last momments consumed with petty name calling. Anyone remember what's-his-name, Rob Friend, and have anything to add?

</Mod>

I know this is another off topic post but since you are here I would like to ask you something about your closing remark in another thread:

quote:Politics in player selection is something not unique to Canadian football. While the whys and becauses may vary, that it is a reality is something, I think, everyone can at least agree on.

In Lars’s case I’m not so sure it is political. I don’t think he’s been blackballed, but there was definitely a spell there where NT duty was, and shouldn’t have been, his priority. Not by a long shot. He had his own affairs to see to, like it or not. If during that period another keep took the #1 spot, irregardless of opinions of his qualities, the spot is his to loose. And I don’t think Lars has done anything so dramatic as to warrant Sutton loosing that place.

You see I might semi-accept that explanation except for 1 thing. Statamapolous is also being picked over Lars in the last 15 months, and in fact contrary to your posting Statamapolous is even being given every chance to fight for the starting goalkeeper spot with Sutton.

The last poster is an example of not only the naivety of the Canadian Soccer fans, but the foolishness as well. Lars not better then Kenny Stampooloos, LOL! Canadian Soccer fans and the Canadian Soccer association strangely enough are the only ones stupid enough to think that. Strangely how nobody outside of Canada, especialy the European leagues are not recently intelligent enough to see how Kenny is the superior goalkeeper, only Canadian Soccer fans somehow are blind enough to see what nobody else can.

Apparantly it is you that lacks intelligence. I said that Lars is not that much better than Kenny. We're not talking about Peter Schmeical vs. Josh Wicks here, we're talking about three capable keepers, one of which has not gotten a call in a long time. Maybe it has something to do with what you yourself even admitted was his unwillingness to play backup.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Apparantly it is you that lacks intelligence. I said that Lars is not that much better than Kenny. We're not talking about Peter Schmeical vs. Josh Wicks here, we're talking about three capable keepers, one of which has not gotten a call in a long time. Maybe it has something to do with what you yourself even admitted was his unwillingness to play backup.

If you do not feel Lars is the inferior keeper then you are really stupid to be arguing it is right he is not called to any games. The only reason it would be right for Greg and Kenny to be always called, and Lars never is if he was by far the weakest of the 3. Otherwise there is no fair argument for him not to be called.

For the record he is clearly better then Kenny and the CSA are the only ones who believe the reverse, that Kenny is clearly superior, everybody except the CSA and Canadian Soccer fans seem to realize the reverse is true.

You are the one who lacks intelligence to argue it is right for one to not be called in a long time if he is only "slightly better". Somebody only slightly better should be never called and that is supposed to make sense and not be anything wrong with?!?! Also you are very wrong think people should accept there is nothing wrong with a goalkeeper who has not played in a long time, even if he was only "one of 3 capable keepers" while he is starting for one of the best teams in Norway, while 1 of the others is being called over him while losing his starting job for a badly struggling team in the same division. Your arguments make about as much sense as a Fred Flinstone cartoon.

But we don't know how much Lars has been available during this last year. And fairs fair, a year in which he's made an argument for challenging for Canada's #1.

I'm Old School when it comes to 'keepers and the back line. Familiarity can (within reason) trump quality. Familiarity can make up for a lot of individual shortcomings but you can't develop familiarity on a wish. It has to be built by playing the same mix of defenders (and keep) as often as possible. And it's not like the MNT play especially a lot. And we just don't know if Lars has felt comfortable up to this point to be able to commit, for what passes as virtualy fulltime, to the MNT program.

So others have gotten a look in the mean time. That's normal and expected,. So what? Kenny S has had his look and for all we know it could a long while before he gets another one (and outside of injury cover I suspect that may be the case). Hey, Kenny S' inclusion may be as much a political call as any others. But a political feel-good call by the CSA which is all about Kenny S and has nothing to do with Lars if you follow me.

Personaly I think Lars is going to get another look from the MNT himself, sooner rather than later and it'll be up to him to make it so he's impossible to ignore for future selections. But if he can't commit to a majority of the MNT matchs for 2007, for whatever the reasons, and the MNT manager chooses another direction because of that then that's just the way it is. Nothing sinister. That's football, man.

Of course, if Lars shows himself head and shoulders above his nearest competitor, who I'd say is Sutton so far, exceptions regarding the amount of time Lars can give to the program might have to be made. But as yet, we don't know if that's the case and honestly there would have to be clear daylight between the men which on my memmory just isn't there.

Times have changed since then though.

Thanks for answering my question. I still fully expect after Lars is called to the Hungary game(as I predict he will)and ends up backing up an inferior keeper(probably the mediocre Kenny S.)which he wont realize until the game(they wont tell him prior to the game he is definitely not starting), that is the last time you will see him at a game period. The call will just be a final bone thrown out, but it wont be to start, it will be to sit on the bench and watch some inferior individual play as a final embarassment thrown his way by the CSA.

Thanks for answering my question. I still fully expect after Lars is called to the Hungary game(as I predict he will)and ends up backing up an inferior keeper(probably the mediocre Kenny S.)which he wont realize until the game(they wont tell him prior to the game he is definitely not starting), that is the last time you will see him at a game period. The call will just be a final bone thrown out, but it wont be to start, it will be to sit on the bench and watch some inferior individual play as a final embarassment thrown his way by the CSA.

You know what, when push comes to shove, it is what it is. Lars hasn't been called for some time, and we don't know the details behind that. For all we know, he may have said no once or twice. It may very well be that the powers that be simply don't like him. Conspiracy? No chance.

And your passion on the subject is a curiosity to me. For me, the only time I've seen Kenny or Lars play has been with the National side, so for Lars, that was a long time ago. Sutton I've seen with the Impact.

Being honest, when was the last time that you saw Lars play? What makes you so incredibly confident in your analysis of him?

Archived