On Marc Bircham and John Gregory at QPR

Ashton Gate

Marc Bircham is clearly in tight with the new regime at QPR. Does anybody reliably know why he and Canada parted ways during World Cup qualifying last time?

Gregory planning overhaul at QPR

By Andrew McKenzie (BBC)

Gregory has started his reign with two straight wins

QPR's new manager John Gregory has vowed to make major changes to the playing staff at the Championship club.

He took over as boss at Loftus Road in September and one of his first tasks will be to trim the first-team squad.

"The squad is massive, it is too big for a club of this size. We can't carry 35 players, it's ridiculous and has got out of hand," he told BBC Sport.

"There will continue to be lots and lots of changes between now and the end of the season."

"I inherited a huge coaching staff and unfortunately on my second day we had to make some changes and I had to let some people go because we were vastly overstaffed and it was costing us a hell of a lot of money.

One player who will be not going anywhere is Marc Bircham, who has been taken off the transfer list at his own request following Gregory's arrival.

"It's great news for everybody," added Gregory. "He came to see me and wanted to be taken off it, which we've done.

"He's very much an integral part of the squad. He's my captain on the pitch, he has been outstanding for us in the last two matches, he's a great trainer and great lad to have around.

"He's a QPR freak, which helps when you are playing for the club you love, and he wears his heart on his sleeve every week - I just love having him around."

Gregory, who has a deal until the end of the season, added: "He's now playing for a new contract - the same as me, the same as Stevie Lomas and Marcus Bignot.

"Hopefully, all of us will get a new deal if we continue to impress."

Archived