Red Patch Boys TFC supporter club

canadian_bhoy

hey guys, not trying to spam your board or hijack members, but I just wanted people to check out the red patch boys website. we finally got it up and running and while its still a little short on content, we're pretty proud of a good start.

We're pretty excited to hear that there are 5 supporters groups for the club and we look forward to meeting up with everyone and supporting toronto fc.

if you want more information about us. check our messageboard www.toronto-fc.com or go to the site www.redpatchboys.ca

are there other groups on this board? if so, lets hear about your groups for next season!

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Sorry just read the story which in itself is marvelous,certainly for a Dutchman having been liberated by the Canadians,very good stuff and very appropiate.Who came up with that name?

one of the members came up with the name as a homage to canadian troops, it was originally red patch devils, but we changed it slightly so that it didn't look like we were ripping off united.

quote:Originally posted by sKriSh

Are you guys going to join up with U Sector and the other groups or are you going to remain a seperate?

the members are voting right now as to where we are going to sit. we originally chose 112 not to be 'separate' but because we had issues with being behind the goal and b/c of the accessability seating. It was never an us vs them situation...even though it may have appeared that way on the MB's. At the moment we are considering 112 and 113 and the group will decide this week.

At our meeting there was discussion with the MLSE reps about getting the groups organized and communicating. that is something we hope to do in the coming days and weeks.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

5 supporters groups?

Who are the other 3?

Toronto's Liverpool Supporters Association, Fort York and the Ceilidh House Hoolies. Suspect it won't stop there. Barra Brava in DC grew out of the Bolivian community's support for Marco Etcheverry. A big name import could have a similar effect in Toronto IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Having had 3 uncles and one of my grandfathers go through the Italian campaign after landing in Sicily and having spent time on 2 difft Cdn bases with a street named Ortona, I think that's a great name for a supporters' group. Beats the poop out of the Euro-inspired Ultras, which to me is just another laundry detergent.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I seem to recall the name being used by a supporters group in Toronto. You been sniffin' glue again Rudi?

Only the high-grade stuff popular in Alberta.

http://www.embargo.ca/ultras/usectorfaq.shtml

quote:Q: How did the U-Sector get its name?

A: The U-Sector was originally known as the Toronto Ultras, a group that would congregate in Varsity Stadium's section U (nicknamed the "U Sector"). To distinguish itself from the many other Ultras groups worldwide, the Toronto Ultras adopted U-Sector as the group's name following the 2004 season.

quote:Originally posted by River City

The People's Front of Judea, The Judean People's Front and of course the Popular Front....

It's nothing out of the ordinary in MLS terms to have multiple supporters groups FWIW. In DC there are three well known groups La Barra Brava, the Screaming Eagles and La Norte:-

http://www.barra-brava.com/

http://screaming-eagles.com/

http://www.lanorte.com/Home.html

all catering to different groups in much the same way different people prefer the atmosphere at different bars and restaurants. TFC have made the entire 3000 seat south end a supporters section so there is plenty of space available for different groups to do their thing and to hopefully create the most authentic big time soccer game day experience in North America.

PS What follows is a one-off shameless plug. :) I've just started doing what should be a reasonably regular weekly column for the RPB website. First article is entitled "Toronto FC folding soon? Not a chance."

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

It's nothing out of the ordinary in MLS terms to have multiple supporters groups FWIW. In DC there are three well known groups La Barra Brava, the Screaming Eagles and La Norte:-

http://www.barra-brava.com/

http://screaming-eagles.com/

http://www.lanorte.com/Home.html

all catering to different groups in much the same way different people prefer the atmosphere at different bars and restaurants. TFC have made the entire 3000 seat south end a supporters section so there is plenty of space available for different groups to do their thing and to hopefully create the most authentic big time soccer game day experience in North America.

PS What follows is a one-off shameless plug. :) I've just started doing what should be a reasonably regular weekly column for the RPB website. First article is entitled "Toronto FC folding soon? Not a chance."

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/

We're not idiots. My comment was because 2 have created an internet presence and the other 3 are, what? 5 people each? We'll see after a season how many remain.

We're not idiots. My comment was because 2 have created an internet presence and the other 3 are, what? 5 people each? We'll see after a season how many remain.

Well, the Toronto LFC Supporters Club is huge (in the thousands), but it remains to be seen how seriously they actually intend to support Toronto FC.

As for the "other" two groups, they can hardly be considered 'groups' at this point, not without a web presence.

Toronto FC has actually listed us (U-Sector) and RPB on the official website as TFC supporters groups. No sign of the Liverpool Supporters Club (even though they have a web presence), which isn't entirely surprising given the Euro-snob nature of such a group.

No harm intended. I just think it's better to have one large, organized group rather than a lot of small ones all trying to accomplish the same thing....again, it could be we have nothing of the sort in Alberta.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Well, the Toronto LFC Supporters Club is huge (in the thousands), but it remains to be seen how seriously they actually intend to support Toronto FC.

As for the "other" two groups, they can hardly be considered 'groups' at this point, not without a web presence.

Toronto FC has actually listed us (U-Sector) and RPB on the official website as TFC supporters groups. No sign of the Liverpool Supporters Club (even though they have a web presence), which isn't entirely surprising given the Euro-snob nature of such a group.

Until it becomes primarily a TFC supporters' club, I'm not paying attention.

quote:Originally posted by River City

No harm intended. I just think it's better to have one large, organized group rather than a lot of small ones all trying to accomplish the same thing....again, it could be we have nothing of the sort in Alberta.

I disagree. Competition between groups based on a spirit of friendly rivalry and oneupmanship will help to keep everybody on their toes and striving to be the best. The surface has only been scratched on the potential so far given that most soccer fans in Southern Ontario never read messageboards like this.

Guest Jeffery S.

I just want to say that it is great that there are many supporter's clubs, and I disagree with those that say there should be unity or even a coordinated section. I think some people are just interested in standing in a bigger crowd and making more noise all together, that mass experience, rather than working in a supporter group environment.

I have the example of my team here in Barcelona (Barça) which has something like 1300 supporter groups worldwide. Most try to travel to a game at least once a year, the local ones come in every match and often (but not always, as there are problems in coordinated seating arrangmements) sit together. Some hang banners but are quiet. Others make a bit of noise, so you have different points of activity in the stadium, some rowdier, some playing instruments, others just providing colour.

I think this is a more natural arrangment, and i would try to resist any effort by the club to force coordination of efforts. That is different, for example, from travelling together or even sitting together for away games, which does indeed seem reasonable.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I just want to say that it is great that there are many supporter's clubs, and I disagree with those that say there should be unity or even a coordinated section. I think some people are just interested in standing in a bigger crowd and making more noise all together, that mass experience, rather than working in a supporter group environment.

I have the example of my team here in Barcelona (Barça) which has something like 1300 supporter groups worldwide. Most try to travel to a game at least once a year, the local ones come in every match and often (but not always, as there are problems in coordinated seating arrangmements) sit together. Some hang banners but are quiet. Others make a bit of noise, so you have different points of activity in the stadium, some rowdier, some playing instruments, others just providing colour.

I think this is a more natural arrangment, and i would try to resist any effort by the club to force coordination of efforts. That is different, for example, from travelling together or even sitting together for away games, which does indeed seem reasonable.

The Nou Camp seems quiet these days,not much singing etc. Have the ultras been banned or something?

I agree the rivalry between groups is good in order to get them to continually outdo each other, but seems to me some cooperation would be nice in order to have maximum impact. Better to have 100 guys singing in unison rather than 10.

And a unified umbrella group could still retain its individual group identities, but when dealing with the team, media, whatever, would make more of an impression.

Again, just my two bits.

Archived