Exclusive Voyageurs Kevan Pipe interview......

Winnipeg Fury

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I'm going to be the fly in the ointment.

While the interview covered all the "burning" questions, what kind of responses would we expect from Mr Pipe? The fact that he was even reluctant to have the interview public is a sign of what a weasel this man really is.

I can tell you that KP was very reluctant to conduct the interview. He wanted to hear my personal background, background in soccer, etc. He was not initially enthralled when he heard 'Voyageurs.' That said, he did listen to my reasoning, and we did in fact come to an agreement. We actually had a long and frank discussion.

He did explain afterwards that he had been receivng harrassing phone calls over his cell phone, calls to his office, home, that he and his family had answered, etc. These calls were harrassing and threatening in nature.

I think he wanted to insure that I wasn't some nut-job trying to set him up. Fair enough, I expected as such, and I think his concerns were warranted.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I can tell you that KP was very reluctant to conduct the interview. He wanted to hear my personal background, background in soccer, etc. He was not initially enthralled when he heard 'Voyageurs.' That said, he did listen to my reasoning, and we did in fact come to an agreement. We actually had a long and frank discussion.

He did explain afterwards that he had been receivng harrassing phone calls over his cell phone, calls to his office, home, that he and his family had answered, etc. These calls were harrassing and threatening in nature.

I think he wanted to insure that I wasn't some nut-job trying to set him up. Fair enough, I was expected as such, and I think his concerns were warranted.

This is the one big draw-back of not being a legitimzed organization.

Excellent interview IMO. Thank you very much for doing this WF.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I think he wanted to insure that I wasn't some nut-job trying to set him up. Fair enough, I expected as such, and I think his concerns were warranted.

That's appalling. Regrettably there is definitely a thuggish element amongst soccer players and supporters.

quote:That's appalling. Regrettably there is definitely a thuggish element amongst soccer players and supporters.
Name a sport that doesn't have this element to some degree... Hell, name a sector in society that doesn't have this element. It's appalling but hardly a soccer-specific trait.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Ziggy?

Noooooo

Speak his name two more times and this demon will gain the power to manifest itself....

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Name a sport that doesn't have this element to some degree... Hell, name a sector in society that doesn't have this element. It's appalling but hardly a soccer-specific trait.

I never siad there wasn't this element in other sports, just regretting its obvious existence in soccer. Also doesn't provide any excuse for condoning it. Doesn't detract either from the fact that harassing Kevan Pipe (or anybody else for that matter) in the manner described is utterly intolerable.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

We definitely need to avoid falling into the prevailing mentality that seems to exist that this is just a soccer thing:-

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/11/15/pf-715815.html

Just a quick note before I'm out the door.

Since a number of you were lamenting the opportunity to hear the goods on CBC, I just spoke to KP and he stated that he would like to tell the Voyageurs all about it in great detail.

According to KP, certain details and aspects of the deal with CBC are still being negotiated. He stated that he 'does not want to preclude anything,' so we agreed that the interview would take place towards the end of the month.

He also stated that there should be a number of other announcements out this month, and that he would be more than happy to share the details with the Voyageurs.

So yes, the follow-up interview is happening a lot faster than I had anticipated, but we may as well do it up right, and complete the package.

From my previous posts you can tell I'm not exactly a big supporter of what Mr. Pipe and the CSA have done or more precisely haven't done with soccer in this country.

Having said that, I feel it's high time we realize that;

1) as gwallace76 hinted at, we need to become a formal organization

2) we can influence the growth of the game by working with the CSA rather than continually butting heads against them (as long as we can continue to critique them of course)

3) by seeking an offocial supporter status with the CSA, we can possibly have access to all national team games with all the pantookas and pankunas we desire

Thanks WF for taking the time and effort on your own initiative to conduct this interview.

I found all Mr. Pipe's answers were correct and provided some insight.

But I take them as any politicians answers. We'll have to wait for the results to see if he was just saying what we want to hear or speaking the truth.

If there is one thing that I'd like to ask him. But only as an NB soccer fan is: How is the promised replacement for the U-17 CONCACAF tourney that was to be held in Saint John and then moved to Mexico coming along and when can we expect an announcement. Yeah too local but I'd like to know.

A domestic league is still a priority in my opinion. I agree that having teams in the MLS and USL, may be what we want to strive for, but still belive that a solely Canadian competition, where the CSA can sanction it and generate revenue from it rather than from amateur fees is probably the best wat to go. Look at England for example, the FA is incredibly wealthy because the league has to pay the FA a portion of TV, merchandise and ticket sales. Then the FA sets uses that money to set up coaching programs, national team expenses, etc. Then participation goes up, because kids don't have to pay to play. At the same token, they can focus on promoting and generating talent early. We are clearly a long ways from that and I don't expect to see it in my lifetime, but we can shoot for something similar.

What I dislike is the franchise model. I dislike it so much, becuase it puts business ahead of sport. I think it should be sport ahead of business, but there has to be a nurturing environment. Clearly, the original CSL did not work, because it went too big right from the get go. It did not have the fan and athlete support. It is a case where the sport was probably at heart, but the business did not support it because in the end it lacked the fanbase, which is created by the sport (loyalty to a club, local support, trdition, rivalries, etc.). We have to create the conditions for these things to take root and grow. So, sure, MLS and USL is fine for now, but let's shoot for a Canadian league 15-20 years from now.

CSA generate revenue from a domestic Canadian league, professional I presume you mean - wouldn't we all love that! An admirable objective to be sure. The problem we have all yet to solve is just how to get there. The solution has evaded everybody for a long, long time.

Well put JesseDart, and although as rose-coloured your vision for Cdn soccer, ya gotta start somewhere.

I know it has been stated previously about where are all those wealthy businessmen/families willing to take up the cause in various communities across Canada to put up the initial financial requirements necessary to get these franchises off the ground.

You would figure that there may be other Kerfoots, Saputos out there. I can't say for sure, but did they get involved in Van & Mtl to make a buck? Now, MLSE is another kettle of dollars and cents....

Re: Pipe background, there are "about 103,000" hits on Google. Can we get 103 of us to take 1000 each and see if we can find his bio somewhere? Did he work for CSIS for a while?

Read this old beauty:

http://www.rsssf.com/rssbest/canadianrant.html

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

a canadian league is a priority. if we can get 6-10 teams in USL we could have a canadian division (ignoring logistics of travel costs compared to other teams.....)

Explain to me why this is necessary then? If 6 to 8 teams from the North are all going to play in a Canadian division or even a northern Division with one or two Us teams included, then why invest 150 K plus for a franchise that is going to play teams from around it's own area? Is it for the Branding? The Play-offs? What do they get in return? Wouldn't it the same purpose be served by having a totally independent league in Canada? Are we just happy to see our dollars go south just so that the USL can keep stats?

I realize that the MLS is a different monkey, but it seemst to me that we have the best teams in the USL already, so why keep investing in a foreign league?

quote:Originally posted by Thistle

Read this old beauty:

http://www.rsssf.com/rssbest/canadianrant.html

Héhé, funny.

But I'm wondering if the hiring of Holger Osieck and 2000 Gold Cup win prove that the CSA made a good decision by withdrawing from the 1998 GC and not playing any friendlies for a year. If they had spent money on 6-7 friendlies plus playing the GC we would've lost money that we used to hire Osieck or playing those pre-GC games in 1999 and 2000. Of course our WCQ weren,t as successfull...

quote:Originally posted by JesseDart

Explain to me why this is necessary then? If 6 to 8 teams from the North are all going to play in a Canadian division or even a northern Division with one or two Us teams included, then why invest 150 K plus for a franchise that is going to play teams from around it's own area? Is it for the Branding? The Play-offs? What do they get in return? Wouldn't it the same purpose be served by having a totally independent league in Canada?

As I said, a Canadian League is a, of not The, priority. Pipe/CSA are intent on further ventures into USL. Thus, 6-10 teams are a reasonable goal.

Further, with the thought of having PDL in Ontario/Quebec expand, why not have the CSA make this a nation-wide initiative and have each/multiple PDL teams placed directly under the umbrella of existing (and soon-to-be) USL sides as reserves/youth programs?

BC is just about tapped out on Super Y markets, but certainly in PDL markets. As we all know there is room for improvement across the prairies, Shield and Maritimes.

Sorry, JesseDart, I was not implying that all these franchises end up in the USL. As you said, the MLS and USL are "fine for now", and I agree that down the road, perhaps "15-20 years from now", we may be looking at that possibility. Even by that time the USL-based franchises, and with hope there will be more (if USL still around, but since it is now celebrating it's 20th anniversary...) may be strong enough to establish a separate CSL. Currently, how many Cdn-based USL teams do we have? It took the Saputos and Kerfoots to basically rescue their franchises. They would not have had a hope in hell of surviving if not for the USL/A League. At least look at the rosters of the Lynx, Impact, Whitecaps. Cdn players playing the sport they love for a few bucks and now being showcased on the Nat'l team. At least we have some form of N American representation that can develop Cdn players at the senior level and thru their academies

Yes, IDEALLY, a Cdn Soccer League able to pay players a decent wage would be fabulous. You will not find an argument from me nor do I think from anyone else on the board.

At least a dozen cities across Canada would fit the bill. Emphasis on "ACROSS". Perhaps the CSA can be convinced/able at some point to generate enough revenue to help establish a pro league in Canada. Any ideas on what it will take and where the money will come from? New COO? New directors? 6/49 winners? ;)

Archived