Exclusive Voyageurs Kevan Pipe interview......

Winnipeg Fury

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Uh, couldn't you turn it back on? What else can you add that was said while the tape recorder was turned off? Did he mention CBC within the context of the Canadian national teams or just them in FIFA tournies?

CBC in the context that it was going to provide much greater exposure to Canadian soccer for the Canadian public in general. He stated that he worked on the deal for 11 months.

Sorry, but that's all I can add to this question.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

CBC in the context that it was going to provide much greater exposure to Canadian soccer for the Canadian public in general. He stated that he worked on the deal for 11 months.

Sorry, but that's all I can add to this question.

Then let me speculate. Does anyone find it strange that an FA man would be working for 11 months on a contract between FIFA and a broadcaster? Unless he means in the context of the 2007 WC (as host broadcaster). With the FIFA tournaments and the Impact on SRC, I'm guessing the national teams will be on CBC come 2007.

Brilliant, WF. Thanks greatly!

6-7 usl 1st div clubs. that'd be great. but ... who is going to buy into them in edmont...etc etc etc. 3:1 ratio @ 3 mls clubs is 9 clubs......usl won't survive in a city with MLS, sooooooo, what cities ...

of course, as I said, who will financially back cities outside of the 3 major markets?

I take serious issue, however, with the remarks about the CSL. The Ontario Soccer Association is under the CSA umbrella. The CSA has every right to demand the CSL or the specific clubs be reprimanded for reprehensible fan conduct.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

The only thing I have to say though, and it has nothing to do with the job you did, is that a guy like Pipe (or any executive for that matter) doesn't get to their position without being good with words. I appreciate the time he took to do the interview, but the skeptic in me is still waiting for a couple more positive results before singing the CSA's praises. Good first step though.

I have to agree with this. In general his answers are fairly impressive yet if you look at the accomplishments of the CSA during his tenure they are far from impressive. The last few years with the MLS team, stadium and U-20 WC have been an improvement though. The hiring of the next MNT coach will be the next big decision and I certainly hope they get someone suited for the job. In the end KP should be judged not on what he says but what he accomplishes though it is certainly informative to know what his opinions and thoughts are.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'll add my congratulations on the fine effort, WF. Pipe comes across a lot better here than he normally does when dealing with the "mainstream" media.

GL, when I read KP's interviews and stories in the media, I want to pull my hair out (which is largely what pushed me to conduct this interview). To an extent, I feel our sports media is somewhat responsible for this.

Of course he is going to gush about MLS, new stadiums, etc. They are major projects, and rightfully so to a large extent. The problem is that the sports media knows absolutely nothing about Canadian soccer. They know nothing about Canadian player development, the professional soccer landscape in Canada (or lack of), etc.

To make matters worse, the Canadian public knows very little about soccer in general, and particularly Canadian soccer. So it's largely the blind, leading the blind.

But it works both ways as well. I have no doubt that KP would love to be barraged by Canadian media outlets regarding how close we are to entering the CONCACAF Champions League. But we all know, that if you asked the nations sports reporters (including many of the so-called soccer experts) they would not have a clue what you were talking about, and even less could care.

So yes, as Jarrek suggested, I think this interview should be posted on the front page. Perhaps it may act as a reference for sports reporters that are assigned to cover press conferences and soccer related events. If only reviewed a couple of times by these individuals, it may well be worth it.

Guest speedmonk42

in the actual interview, but I told him the tape was off, so I could not add anything.

-----------

What is tape?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I take serious issue, however, with the remarks about the CSL. The Ontario Soccer Association is under the CSA umbrella. The CSA has every right to demand the CSL or the specific clubs be reprimanded for reprehensible fan conduct.

Did you even bother to read what Kevan Pipe had to say? They don't. It is a matter for the OSA and CSL at this point. In a federal structure the central authority does not automatically get to dictate all the actions of the component provinces.

I think it wasn't a bad interview at all. Bait with a few topics the man wants to talk about and try to wiggle a little info out of the man on some of the other topics we want to talk about.

Have a cousing who studied journalism and she'd be proud.

Pretty light weight, but by far the best we've seen in a while and I think Mr. Pipe may have been a bit impressed with the topics of discussion. Tip of the hat to KP for playing along. Don't think there are many who've been at the CSA for longer than a month who have any love for the Voyageurs.

And that's good. Why should they? We, the Voyageurs hold them, the CSA and it's minions to a standard they aren't accustomed to. Which would be any sort of standard at all.

Fury, you done good man. Further proof of what a sweet talking, sexy-beast that you are. Getting The Man to come out like that...

Shame about the CBC bit though. Next time.

P.S. Agree with some others, but not surprised. A lot of "hope" and "wish" and a little shallow on details. But again, what's to be expected? It's an interview not an AGM or commitee report.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Did you even bother to read what Kevan Pipe had to say? They don't. It is a matter for the OSA and CSL at this point. In a federal structure the central authority does not automatically get to dictate all the actions of the component provinces.

the CSA has every right to put pressure on the OSA in this matter - especially considering the events which occurred and the current world-climate.

the CSA has every right to put pressure on the OSA in this matter - especially considering the events which occurred and the current world-climate.

Well you are probably both right here. No doubt the CSA could apply some pressure (not saying they want to) and could have some definite influence.

That said, KP was pretty clear that the CSL is a provincial league and falls under the provicial association.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Fury, you done good man. Further proof of what a sweet talking, sexy-beast that you are. Getting The Man to come out like that...

Thanks again brother for the feedback prior to the interview. Yourself, Ed and Redhat were basically all on the same page as myself.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have no idea if this is relevant, but in some nations after a certain level the league is not directly under the national jurisdiction. This is the case with 5th tier in Spain, the divisions are all-regional, the reffing is designated by the regional federation, there are even some rules variations (red card sanctions). Medical consideratios, such as related to insurance, and even doping (rare though) would also be left to the regional authorities. No league can just throw out basic FIFA rules, especially if they are in a pro-releg system where any side could potentially work its way up to top flight, but there is some flexibility.

So, for example, if the club in my neighbourhood, in 5th tier, had such an incident, I think the national committee against violence in sport could investigate and even act, but the national soccer federation could not, it would be the Catalan federation's responsiblity.

I think this distinction must be laid out in the Canadian system, and what Pipe was doing was just reflecting that without actually explaining it in detail.

thanks, jeff. makes sense - while leagues at the lower level should not fall under direct jurisdiction of national programs, matters such as fan violence and racism must fall under, as you said, a committee against violence should control this matter - if not them then by all means the national soccer association.

I'm going to be the fly in the ointment.

While the interview covered all the "burning" questions, what kind of responses would we expect from Mr Pipe? The fact that he was even reluctant to have the interview public is a sign of what a weasel this man really is. Interview notwithstanding, please PLEASE don't be fooled by this man. He earns an awful lot of money, has a contract that would cost a FORTUNE to to buy out and he hasn't a clue. No background in the game, a politician...a soccer beurocrat. Directors who have no understanding of the game and its issues whatsoever are appointed around him to insulate him.

I'll tell you who should be CSA President...and this was suggested by someone I respect greatly in the game...John Catliff. Harvard education, success at the club level, experience at the National team level, and a true understanding and passion for the game in this country. Not just a little man with a power syndrome.

Mr Pipe has routinely turned down interview requests by high profile journalists and media organizations because he is afraid of being in the cross-hairs and being exposed for what he REALLY is...an imposter.

Archived