CSA: Roster for Jamaica

Winnipeg Fury

La version du communiqué en français ce retrouve ci-dessous…

Head coach Stephen Hart announces his roster for October 8th match date

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For additional information, please contact:

Eric Lamoureux

Canadian Soccer Association

Tél: 1+ (613) 237-7678 ext. 239

Check out www.canadasoccer.com

Ottawa, Ontario - Canada’s men’s senior team is geared up to face Jamaica for game two of their home and away series. Earlier today, Head coach Stephen Hart announced the official roster that will compete in Kingston, Jamaica on October 8th. 

Hart will be counting on this squad to shoot for a second consecutive victory against the reggae boys. A win in the tropic island would extend Canada’s unbeaten streak to five games.

Hart’s troop met Jamaica in an earlier match up this fall, outplaying their opponent to a 1:0 win on September 4th in front of an animated crowd in Montréal, Québec.

Hart is determined to bring an all-rounded effort to the pitch. Among the noticeable, Hart will be counting on the expertise of striker Tomasz Radzinski to pressure and create an offensive disturbance for Jamaica’s back four. Rob Friend, who scored the winning goal in Montréal, will also take part in the Canadian line-up. Canada’s midfield will be controlled by stronghold Atiba Hutchison while goalkeeper Greg Sutton will once again be available to look after the goal line.

“Playing in Jamaica will obviously be very different from recent games we have played,” sais head coach Stephen Hart. “The climate must be considered and at ho Jamaica, with their passionate supporters, has proven difficult for most opposition. However it’s a challenge I’m sure the team looks forward too.”

Canada will embark in another quest in Europe in mid November, facing a strong Hungarian team in Budapest, Hungary on November 15th, 2006

Team Roster:

*note: One or two players may be added to the roster before October 8th.

#       Player                             Pos.    DOB               Caps     G/S     Club                                       Hometown

1       Sutton, Greg                    GK       4/19/1977       8             4         Montreal Impact                      Montreal, QC

2       Braz, Adam                      D          06/07/1981     8             0         Montreal Impact                      St. Laurent, QC

3       Jazic, Ante                       D          2/26/1976       15           0         L.A. Galaxy                            Halifax, NS

4       McKenna, Kevin               D          1/21/1980       34           9         Energie Cottbus                      Calgary, AB

5       Reda, Marco                    D          6/22/1977       5             0         Sogndal                                  Woodbridge, ON

6       Bernier, Patrice                M          9/23/1979       17           0         Tromso                                   Brossard, QC

7       Stalteri, Paul                     M          10/18/1977     51           6         Tottenham Hotspur FC            Brampton, ON

8       de Guzman, Julian           M          3/25/1981       16           0         Deportivo La Coruna              Scarborough, ON

9       Radzinski, Tomasz           F          12/14/1973     30           7         Fulham                                    Toronto, ON

10     Friend, Rob                      F          1/23/1981       7             1         Heerenveen                            Kelowna, BC

11     Klukowski, Mike               D/M      5/27/1981       7             0         FC Brugge                              Oshawa, ON

12     Gervais, Gabriel               D          9/18/1976       9             0         Montreal Impact                      Brossard, QC

13     Hutchinson, Atiba            D/M      02/08/1983     20           2         FC Copenhagen                      Brampton, ON

14     De Rosario, Dwayne       M          5/15/1978       37           7         Houston Dynamo                    Scarborough, ON

15     Simpson, Josh                 D/M      5/15/1983       14           0         Millwall                                    Victoria, BC

16     Grande, Sandro               M          9/29/1977       12           1         Molde                                      Montreal, QC

17     Gerba, Ali                         F          7/27/1982       6             1         IFK Goteborg                          Montréal, QC

22     Stamatopoulos, Kenny     GK       8/28/1979       4             2         Tromso                                   Markham, ON

Team Staff

Complete Name                             Duties                             Date of Birth                 Hometown             Province

Rob Newman                                   Head of Delegation          06-Dec-57                      Saskatoon                SK

Stephen Hart                           Head Coach                     15-Mar-60                       Halifax                      NS

Tony Fonseca                                 Assistant Coach              30-Jan-65                       Vancouver               BC

Paul Dolan                                        Goalkeeper Coach           16-Apr-66                       Vancouver               BC

Morgan Quarry                        Manager                          11-Jan-67                       Vancouver               BC

Ted Tilbury                                       Physiotherapist                19-May-66                      Saskatoon                ON

Mike Moretto                                    Equip. Manager                29-Dec-61                      Montreal                   QC

Garo Demerdjian                              Physiotherapist                13-Jan-65                       Montreal                   QC

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New faces: DeRo, Gerba, Kluka, Jazic and Atiba.

Left out: Brennan, Occean, Pozniak, Hume.

3 names I don't like in this lineup: Stamatopoulos, Reda and Gervais (but Gabe played well in MTL on sept 4)

Again, pretty strong lineup but would've like to see Hirschfeld and Nsaliwa. I would start those guys in a 4-3-3:

Sutton

Stalteri--Mckenna--Kluka--Jazic

Bernier--Atiba--DeGuzman

DeRo----Friend---Radz

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Jamaica was knocked out of the Caribbean Cup (Gold Cup qualifying) over the weekend.

Jamaica beat Haiti 2-0 in their last match, but prior to that, lost to St Vincent 2-1.

Huge upset with Jamaica knocked out of the Gold Cup early in qualifying. A very big win for St Vincent.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

A very strong squad. The only mystery omission is Lars.

I wonder if any of the U-20 squad was called ?

They are in Czech Republic right now. I don't think any of them was available for this game but we'll see in the Hungary game if some of our U-20's will be call (the Czech Republic games are the last one for this year).

Wow, this is a surprisingly strong squad. Pleased to see this. Wish Hume was there--and young DeGuzman--but otherwise have few complaints. [Again, I suspect Lars and Nsaliwa have taken themselves out of the picture, but this is merely speculation. Since they are both Alberta products, Ed will defend their honour to the grave.]

Wouldn't be surprised that Hume is sticking around his club to improve his chances of getting some more playing time, or perhaps because a loan or transfer is in the works.

Pleased to see this line-up. Hope they get stuck in and move that ball quickly. Jamaica will be physcially punishing, if nothing else.

Wow, great squad.

DeRo HAS TO play behind the strikers (whomever their are) in this match. He's shown way too much in that position for Houston to be shuffled off to the wing or playing as a striker himself.

I'm really glad the players themselves are committed to each and every (so-called) meaningless friendly. The more time the A-team plays together, the better prepared we'll be when the real matches start, regardless of who the coach is by then.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

DeRo HAS TO play behind the strikers...

I suspect that this would depend on the formation we use. If Hart sticks to the hybrid 4-3-3/4-5-1 setup, as expected, both deRosario and Radzinski would likely play in withdrawn positions, behind a single target forward (Friend).

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Gerba?... Is Hart trying to do this guy a favour or something...

I'm not sure about Ali's club success (thought it improved recently) but (with Hume seemingly not being available) my guess it that Hart wanted to see someone other than Occean again (who is also struggling a lot this season).

Ademolu is only a sub player with his club, Will Johnson is with the U-20's and Simpson will probably move back to his natural midfield spot. Not much else to choose from.

whats harts problem calling all these old geezers. jazic, reda, stalteri, radz, gervais, grande will all be 33 and over by the next world cup and thats too many spots being taken away from young guys who need the international experience now. these guys all had their chance and they blew it, get these tainted losers out of the damn picture, and i dont want to hear any crap about radz still being fast and dangerous bc if he couldnt score one damn goal last time around what the hell will he do next time when hes older and slower than before?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

whats harts problem calling all these old geezers. jazic, reda, stalteri, radz, gervais, grande will all be 33 and over by the next world cup and thats too many spots being taken away from young guys who need the international experience now. these guys all had their chance and they blew it, get these tainted losers out of the damn picture, and i dont want to hear any crap about radz still being fast and dangerous bc if he couldnt score one damn goal last time around what the hell will he do next time when hes older and slower than before?

We need them for qualifications, so that's 1 or 2 years before the World Cup. Who are those young guys you would call? You could give us some suggestions.

BTW, your post is highly offensive toward guys who have showed up (except Radz when he had issues with Holger) for Canada when called. If you don't agree with the coach selection that's fair but calling the players loosers because they didn't qualified is quite stupid.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

We need them for qualifications, so that's 1 or 2 years before the World Cup. Who are those young guys you would call? You could give us some suggestions.

BTW, your post is highly offensive toward guys who have showed up (except Radz when he had issues with Holger) for Canada when called. If you don't agree with the coach selection that's fair but calling the players loosers because they didn't qualified is quite stupid.

Agreed

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I have noticed in the two projected lineups on this thread that they both feature Klukowski as a central defender . . . isn't he regularly a left fullback for his Belgian club?

Yes Mike is a left-back and is very likely to play there for us, as well.

The central defender idea (and that's all it is) stems from various discussions we've had in search of improving our (weak) central defense situation, coupled with the thought that we have more solid depth and speedier options at left-back (useful against latin teams), already at our disposal.

would have been nice to see DeRosario and Serioux in the mix, but perhaps they'll be available for Hungary.

I expect;

Stalteri McKenna Reda Kluka

Radzinski DeGuzman Hutch Bernier Simpson

Friend.

Even if we pretend to play a 4-3-3, in reality it will look much more like a 4-5-1, which I don't mind, really. Just hope Hart doesn't wait too long to sub off the tired midfield this time. Keep our mid active and strong, and we should be able to keep our shape and avoid any problems at the back.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

would have been nice to see DeRosario and Serioux in the mix, but perhaps they'll be available for Hungary.

I expect;

Stalteri McKenna Reda Kluka

Radzinski DeGuzman Hutch Bernier Simpson

Friend.

Even if we pretend to play a 4-3-3, in reality it will look much more like a 4-5-1, which I don't mind, really. Just hope Hart doesn't wait too long to sub off the tired midfield this time. Keep our mid active and strong, and we should be able to keep our shape and avoid any problems at the back.

Yep, yep, agreed Beave.

Archived