Pick your CL Champion

argh1

For the third year in a row.....I say Lyon will win it all.

Yeah, not a popular choice, but hey, they're my emotional choice.

Now that the France FA has allowed Ligue 1 teams to be publicly traded instead of only private ownership. I can only see Lyon getting stronger. Look out for PSG in coming years.

my bias choice is manchester united. playing in a challenging group will do them well, and after beating benfica (first away win in 9 in CL) hopefully the self-belief has been returned.

i've gotta go with Manchester United v. Bayern Munich ... because why not!

(chelsea don't have enough width without robben and cole on the park - this will be exposed by a defence-first team with width for counter attacks)

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

my bias choice is manchester united. playing in a challenging group will do them well, and after beating benfica (first away win in 9 in CL) hopefully the self-belief has been returned.

Important win, but United were pretty poor in that game. Still 5 months 'til the CL gets interesting so they have time to get better.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well, after all those picks, I have to say I don't think any other team has the depth of Barça. I know we are less eager than last year, that Eto'o is out, that we are a bit distracted on defense this year. Post-World Cup club football tends to be mediocre in the top sides with high level internationals, you can see it with the potentially top sides like Chelsea, Bayern, Inter, Barça. Whoever of these can get their WC stars rested during the year without that meaning losing points, and maybe can show the most desire to win the cup, will have the advantage.

In that sense I admit that Chelsea is very geared to doing something more. Against them, they do not have any experience at all of having done so.

Valencia is another side probably deserving, after two finals, to get something back from the competition. They are tough this year. Still think Lyon is lacking that bit of depth and the demands of the local competition are lower, so they are not playing at CL level every week. Bad for them.

I pick Barça, but while last year I was totally convinced we would win it, as with the league, I admit that this year I am waiting to be convinced still.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

"inter"....

required to go 3 wins, 1 draw. while certainly not beyond them - incredibly difficult as the remaining teams will play for draws with them just so they are eliminated. especially sporting.

The big game in that group will be Sporting v Bayern on 18 October. If Bayern win that match, they'll essentially clinch the group and probably field a "B" side against Inter on the final matchday of the group-round. If Sporting win that match, not only will that leave Inter 4 points behind Sporting, but Bayern (wanting to win the group) will then field their best team on matchday 6.

Archived