U-20 roster for Czech Republic

loyola

Men’s U-20 Team

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Men’s U-20 will square off against Czech Republic

Canada continues its efforts in preparation for the U-20 FIFA World Cup Canada 2007

Ottawa, Ontario - The Canadian Soccer Association is glad to announce that the Canadian men’s U-20 National team will compete in a two game series against the Czech Republic in Prague on October 4th and 5th, 2006.

Canada last played the Czech Republic in 2003 during the FIFA World Youth Championships in the United Emirates earning a 1:0 win against the European team.

In 2006, the young Canadians have been busy with training camps and games in almost every month of the year. The U-20 National team has shown promise recently by defeating their Brazilian counterparts in Edmonton on May 19th, a first in men’s Canadian soccer history.

This announcement is yet another testament of the hard work that the Canadian side is doing in preparation for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007.

'The Czech Republic will be providing our team with a large test during the two games in Europe,' said head Coach Dale Mitchell 'They have a rich tradition of producing talented young players as can be witnessed by the quality in their senior team at the moment. It is another opportunity for our players to see what the level of teams we will be facing next year, and we look forward to the challenge.'

Led by Head Coach Miroslav Soukup, the Czech Republic qualified for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 by reaching the UEFA European U-19 Championship semi-finals in Poland in July 2006.

Game schedule:

Wednesday, October 4th

4:30pm at Marila Pribram Stadium, Prague, Czech Republic

Thursday, October 6th

4:00pm at Roudnice Stadium, Prague, Czech Republic

Mitchell announces his roster for Czech Republic series!

The men’s U-20 National team head coach Dale Mitchell, has also announced his roster to compete in this two game match series versus the Czech Republic. The only new comer to the line up is young midfielder Landon Ling originating from Vancouver, BC. Landon currently plays with FK Jablonec 97 in the Czech Gambrinus liga

Team Roster:

Pos./Complete Name/Club/DOB/Hometown /Prov.

GK/BEGOVIC, Asmir/Portsmouth FC (England)/20-Jun-87/Edmonton/AB

D/ HABER, Marcus/ FC Gronengen (Netherlands)/ 11-Jan-89/Vancouver/BC

D/O’CONNOR, Kent/1860 Munich (Germany)/5-Mar-87/North Vancouver/BC

M/BOURGAULT, Jonathan/St. Pauli FC (Germany)/27-Sep-88/le Bizard/QC

D/LUMLEY, Stephen/National Training Centre – Ontario/16-Apr-87/Mississauga/ON

D/EDG/PETERS, Jaime/Ipswich Town FC (England)/04-May-87/Pickering/ON

M/NUNEZ, Cristian/FC Lyn Oslo (Norway)/07-Jul-88/Montreal/QC

F/DI IOIA, Massimo/Montreal Impact/18-Jun-87/Montreal/QC

F/JOHNSON, Will/SC Heerenveen (Netherlands)/21-Jan-87/Woodridge/IL

M/GRAY, A.J./National Training Centre – Ontario/12-Apr-88/Brampton/ON

M/LING, Landon/FK Jablonec 97 (Czech Republic)/8-Oct-87/Vancouver/BC

F/LAMMIE, Selvin (Shane)/National Training Centre – Ontario/3-Aug-88/Toronto/ON

D/ATTAKORA-GYAN, Nana/National Training Centre – Ontario/27-Mar-89/Orangeville/ON

F/LOMBARDO, Andrea/FC Rieti SRL (Italy)/23-May-87/Toronto/ON

D/LACOSTE-LEBUIS, Olivier/Strasbourg (France)/28-Aug-90/Montreal/QC

M/AYRE, Keegan/Hibernian FC (Scotland)/4-Jul-88/Coquitlam/BC

D/OWUSU-ANSAH, Kennedy/Hertha Berlin (Germany)/20-Jul-89/Toronto/ON

GK/MONSALVE, David/University of Mobile (United States)/21-Dec-88/Brampton/ON

National team staff:

LINFORD, Colin Head of Delegation

MITCHELL, Dale Head Coach

DASOVIC, Nick Assistant Coach

MULDOON, Kevin Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CANNON, Eddie Athletic Therapist

CELEBRINI, Randy Strength and Conditioning Coach

NUTT, Dave National Teams Administrator

Like most of Canada’s Youth National teams, the U-20’s operate on a two-year cycle that ends in odd-numbered years. Therefore, 2006 is the first year of the two-year cycle, thus meaning that the U-20 Team will consist of players born on or after January 1st 1987.

Several current Canadian National Senior Team members have played for their country at the U-20 level including Julian de Guzman, Tam Nsaliwa, Richard Hastings, Jason Bent,

Atiba Hutchinson, Iain Hume and Paul Stalteri to name a few.

FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 – It’s gonna be huge.

In 2007, the world’s biggest game is coming to Canada. Canada will host the World’s finest under-20 players in six cities across the country – Victoria, Burnaby, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal – June 30 - July 22, 2007.

The biennial event is second only to the FIFA World Cup™ in size and scope and will showcase the most talented under-20 soccer players in the world. The tournament has been the coming-out party for some of the game’s top players - Maradona, Saviola, Raúl, Marco Van Basten, Luis Figo, Ruiz Costa, Thierry Henry, Adriano, Roberto Carlos, Bebeto and Dunga as well as Canada’s Craig Forrest and many members of the current Men’s World Cup Team.

Last held in CONCACAF in 1983 in Mexico, Canada’s most recent participation in this event occurred last June in the Netherlands from June 10 - July 2, 2005.

Canada enjoyed its best ever finish in a World Championship in December 2003, losing to eventual silver medalist Spain on a golden goal in the quarter finals in the United Arab Emirates.

For more information regarding the FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007, please visit www.FIFA.com.

One newcomer from the Czech Republic league. Someone has infos about him?

No Lensky.

Olivier Lacoste-Buis is the youngest player called to date. He's eligible for our U-17's.

I think Mitchell has a pretty good idea of his first 16 players at the moment.

Interesting to see the mention of Tam Nsaliwa as an example of a CMNT player who played for the U-20's.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

How long has KOA been at Hertha Berlin?

Didn't notice that, that must be a recent news since he was with LA Galaxy in July.

Also, Monsalve, the back up keeper is playing at Mobile University, a powerhouse in the NAIA. Monsalve was set to play with UAB in the NCAA D1, wonder what happened.

Speaking of the NCAA it seems that we're using less and less college players. Monsalve being the only one at the moment.

You'd figure they would release these player lists in some sort of logical order. Just a little thing which has always bothered me. Put them in positional or alphabetical order. It seems these players are listed by number, which is completely unnessary on a roster announcement (and which isn't indicated by the way).

I spoke with Dale Mitchell and he said this will be the team's last get together of the year. Its the last back to back international dates on the calender which is the best time to get the European based players together plus the college players aren't available to them right now.

He mentioned that he had invited Lensky to both this series and the one against Brazil but Jacob has turned them down. When I asked if Lensky had a second passport, he indicated that he is eligable for the Czechs and joked that the way things are going he could even suit up against them.

He said he was disappointed in De Jong's decision to play for Holland and doesn't like the rule that allows a player to switch after making a decision to play for a certain country.

From talking to Dale both now and in the past, it is my opinion that the only way JDG2 and Lensky will play for Canada in the future is if their other countries don't want them.

It is quite sad that 3 of our better players in this age group (Lensky, DeGuzman and Vittoria) chose not to play for us and at least one situation, play against us. I think it does say something about Canada that players consistently do not seem to have a problem dropping their country to play for someone else.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

It is quite sad that 3 of our better players in this age group (Lensky, DeGuzman and Vittoria) chose not to play for us and at least one situation, play against us. I think it does say something about Canada that players consistently do not seem to have a problem dropping their country to play for someone else.

And the worst part is that we have a pretty good U20 team and will be hosting the U20 WC!

i say take there passports away from them and there family.

canadians by convenience,they can make there money and still play for canada,thats no excuse.

look at all the great african players in the world, they all go home and play for there country.

and what's this rule that you can change countries even if your capped at the under 20 level.... what a joke...wake up fifa...

stop lining yr pockets and try to help the smaller countries.

Sad to hear that stuff about Lensky and JDG2. I guess it's the CSA's fault if Lensky choose to play for the Czech.....

What are the latest about Vitoria? Did he played for Portugal U-20 in an official game? I guess it wouldn't matter since he could still choose Canada before he turns 21.

According to this site http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/ec-u19-06det.html Vitoria played 8 minutes during the whole qualifying tournament. I don't know if he's a true U-20 but I would be carefull choosing Portugal if I was a back up player in the U-20 team. In the end I,m not interested in seeing him playing for Canada either.

quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

look at all the great african players in the world, they all go home and play for there country.

There are actually quite a few African players who have moved to Europe as adults or their late teens to play for professional clubs and have then gone on to take citizenship (often getting it far easier than a normal immigrant would have) and play for the national team of the country where they played professionally. It is still wrong but is by no means a phenomenon restricted to Canada and Australia (who at some point will probably supply the whole Croatian national team).

quote:Originally posted by masster

I spoke with Dale Mitchell and he said this will be the team's last get together of the year. Its the last back to back international dates on the calender which is the best time to get the European based players together plus the college players aren't available to them right now.

He mentioned that he had invited Lensky to both this series and the one against Brazil but Jacob has turned them down. When I asked if Lensky had a second passport, he indicated that he is eligable for the Czechs and joked that the way things are going he could even suit up against them.

He said he was disappointed in De Jong's decision to play for Holland and doesn't like the rule that allows a player to switch after making a decision to play for a certain country.

From talking to Dale both now and in the past, it is my opinion that the only way JDG2 and Lensky will play for Canada in the future is if their other countries don't want them.

What a depressing statement. I for one, enjoy reading about our brilliant young prospects and following them as they progress. Seems more and more of our best young players are about to abandon their country.

As someone posted before, I was one of the guys who actually thought that Hargreaves playing for England would help us in that it would bring some of our other talent into prominence. Unfortunately, all it seems to have done is spawn a group of players whose goal now is to play for one of the "big soccer nations".

Unfortunately it is money that is at the root of all of this. Enough money, or the prospect of same, will trump national loyalty in all but a few exceptional instances. It is obscene amounts of money that has effectively destroyed sportsmanship and ethics in most top level professional sports.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Didn't notice that, that must be a recent news since he was with LA Galaxy in July.

Also, Monsalve, the back up keeper is playing at Mobile University, a powerhouse in the NAIA. Monsalve was set to play with UAB in the NCAA D1, wonder what happened.

Speaking of the NCAA it seems that we're using less and less college players. Monsalve being the only one at the moment.

Well who would you want to use from the NCAA? Check out this from a recent Soccer America article (posted on the BC SoccerWeb):

" The foreign influence in women's soccer isn't as great as it is in men's soccer. The 26 teams in the Women's Top 25 -- two teams are tied for No. 25 -- average only 0.88 foreign starters. In last week's survey of Men's Top 25 teams, the average was 1.36 foreign starters per team. Ironically, not one Men's Top 25 team started a Canadian. "

Observer - on second reflection I have to agree with you in part.

Canada is not a melting pot like the US. Therefore, it's not

surprising to see first generation Canadians sometimes opting for

their ancestral homelands. With more success at the National level, I think it will be less of a factor but it's going to take time given

the resources.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Czech roster for the two games against Canada.

Martin Fenin (FK Teplice - 87)

Tomas Frystak (1. FC Slovacko - 87)

Ales Hanzlik (Usti nad Labem - Div II - 87)

Michal Held (Bohemians 1905 - Div II - 87)

Jiri Jeslinek (Ceske Budejovice - 87)

Ondrej Kudela (1. FC Slovacko - 87)

Jakub Mares (1. FC Slovacko - 87)

Tomas Mares (AC Sparta Praha - 87)

Tomas Micola (Banik Ostrava - 88)

Tomas Oklestek (1. FC Brno - 87)

Petr Pavlik (Banik Ostrava - 87)

Petr Radek (Banik Ostrava - 87)

Jiri Pimpara (FK Teplice - 87)

Marek Strestik (1. FC Brno - 87)

Marek Suchy (SK Slavia Praha - 88)

Jan Uchytil (Bohemians 1905 - Div II - 87)

Jan Simunek (SK Kladno - 87)

Michal Svec (SK Slavia Praha - 87)

Players who are bold played in the European U19 Championships this past summer. So, it could be speculated that the roster for the U20's games against Canada is experimental.

Are all of those players playing first team football or some of them are with the youth teams?

Archived