U-17 Canada vs USA game #2 (R)

loyola

Men’s U-17 Team

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Canadian U17s defeated again by USA

Ottawa, Ontario – In the second of a two-match friendly series, the Canadian U17 Men’s National Team dropped a 1-0 decision to the United States this morning at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

The Canadians began the match with more energy than they displayed in Thursday’s 2-1 loss. Despite the United States dominating possession once again in the first half, the Canadians displayed improved team shape and defensive pressure and looked stronger in the tackle than they had in the opener. With few chances between the teams and neither goalkeeper seriously tested, the half ended at 0-0.

The second half began with Canada playing their best soccer of the two matches. Unfortunately, some solid possession and good attacking runs from the young Canadians failed to yield a quality scoring opportunity. As the half wore on, the Americans were again able to control the play and put Canada on the defensive. Without significant possession on another hot and humid day, the Canadians began to tire midway through the half. This was all the Americans would need to snatch the victory in the 76th minute when Danny Barrera’s driven free kick from the wide right picked out substitute Brandon Zimmerman at the far post. His header beat Canadian ‘keeper, Adam Street to the top corner, putting the USA in front.

The goal was all the Americans would need as the Canadians were unable to create an opportunity to equalize in the match’s final 14 minutes. In the end, the Americans were able to earn a sweep of the two-match series.

Stephen Hart, Head Coach of the Canadians said, “As a team, we defended far better today, but once we regained possession of the ball, we were never quite capable of creating any clear attacking opportunities. Far too often, the ball was given away cheaply.”

Match Info

Saturday, September 23, 2006 - International Friendly

IMG Academy – Bradenton, Florida

U17 CANADA - 0 (0)

U17 USA – 0 (1)

Goals: USA – Zimmerman (76)

CANADA: 22-Street, Adam; 2-Smith, Greg; 3-Parenteau-Michon, Colin (11-Mahli, Dalvir 66); 4-Tannous, Daniel ©; 5-Kijowski, Daniel (15-Gunenc, Devin 29); 7-Porter, Kyle (16-Traversy, Garrett 61); 8-Macginnis, Octavio (9-Sylla, Mohamed 56); 10-Hyde, William; 12-Johnstone, Marcus; 13-Leal, Erick; 14-Pena, Adrian (6-Semenets, Alex 82)

Head Coach: Stephen Hart

Subs not used: 1-Latendresse-Levesque, Julien; Straith, Adam (injured)

USA: 18-MacMath, Zac (1-Cambo, Josh 45); 2-Nelson, TJ; 3-Lee, Brandon; 4-Turk, Howard; 5-Perry, Aubrey (16-Zimmerman, Brandon 68); 7-Levry, Axel (King, Brendon 60); 8-Jeffrey, Jared ©; 10-Dominguez, Bryan (19-Gonzalez, Eduardo 11 (9-McLoughlin, Ellis 57)); 13-Garza, Greg; 15-Barrera, Danny (12-Urso, Kirk 82); 20-Sesay, Israel (Finley, Ryan 76)

Head Coach: John Hackworth

Subs not used: 6-Carter, Alonzo; 17-Gracia, Ryan

We're playing one of the best U-17 team in the world, loosing 1-0 isn't a bad result. I prefer that then loosing 6-3.

In the end the important thing is the preparation we get from these games. The results only counts in the qualification and even at this level I'm not sure it's that important our NT gets to the WC. Of course now with CONCACAF getting 4-5 spots we should be able to qualify.

Yes. The men's beach soccer team, and apparently the only one that can succesfully qualify beyond CONCACAF.

Back to more important issues. I've said it before and I'll say it again: these are the type of matches that our U17s should learn from. If they can match up against their US counterparts more often, they will improve. Opportunities are much easier to organise than with other CONCACAF squads; better training facilities; provides Stephen Hart more opportunities to bring in new recruits for trials; more cost-effective, especially within what is no doubt a limited budget.

quote:Originally posted by Thistle

Yes. The men's beach soccer team, and apparently the only one that can succesfully qualify beyond CONCACAF.

Back to more important issues. I've said it before and I'll say it again: these are the type of matches that our U17s should learn from. If they can match up against their US counterparts more often, they will improve. Opportunities are much easier to organise than with other CONCACAF squads; better training facilities; provides Stephen Hart more opportunities to bring in new recruits for trials; more cost-effective, especially within what is no doubt a limited budget.

What about our U-20's qualifications for the 1997-2001-2003-2005 and hosting the 2007 WYC?

I'm not sure the USA will want to play us that often at this level (any level for that matter) since they can play almost anybody in Brandeton. A few days before our series with them they played 2 games against Guatemala. A week before that they had a tournament with Portugal and a few other teams.

Its really difficult to compare the Canadian U-17s with their US counteparts as the US side plays together year round in Brandeton. For that reason, they are one of the better sides in the world at this age. We consistently have lost to them for years at this level. However, when these same players graduate to the U-20 side, we play them much more equally as evidenced by the results. The US U-20 side has similar problems to us with players spread around the world and with the MLS. They do get together a bit more than us but not as often as their U-17s and it shows.

Yes, the U17s operate under a programme that is unlike anything we normally face. Players together 24/7. Now, is this not a good barometer as to how well our TEAMS are progressing? The US is fortunate to have all these exhibitions. We cannot. Is it not to our benefit then to play against a side that has experience against other CONCACAF sides? I'm not saying they will welcome us with open arms, but the Cdn youth pgm would only benefit. Unless you folks know of upcoming opportunities for the U17s to play against other CONCACAF sides this year, or before the qualifying matches in April.

It has to be something that would appeal to the CSA: easy access geographically and includes ease of travel; a tough, experienced opponent (not the T&T XI) that can only help our youth teams develop... and find some offence.

You're most certainly correct - performance does matter and our U17s conducted themselves very well against a world-class side. Losing 1-0 or 2-1 is no disgrace.

Matches like these will bear fruit in April '07

Will you get over the fact that we played two games against minnows in a tournament where we played the world champion Mexico and 3 tough CONCACAF opponents (Panama, El Salvador and Jamaica)?

In the last year this team has played all those games:

New Zeland (twice)

Northern Ireland

Scotland

Belgium

Czech Republic

The Swiss

Bermuda

T&T B team

El Salvador

Mexico

Jamaica

Panama

USA (twice)

All those games are valuable for those kids and we should be happy to see that our youth program is giving more preparation/experience to those coaches and kids.

I went to www.ussoccer.com to see the American look on the games and they kept track of some stats. The first game, Canada was out shot 19-3 and the second game, Canada was out shot 20-0. Thats 39 shots against and 3 for in 180 minutes of football. Is that bad defence for all the shots or bad striking for the lack of shots? Or maybe the midfield isn't helping either side. I am very happy with the score line, but 39-3... come on. It's time to stop saying "It's not important they get the result, so long that they are learning." WCQ is in 7 months, and these boys should start hitting top form and getting results.

why is it that almost every time I read a match report about one of our various national teams it is always the same analysist by the coach.

the other team have a lot of the possesion and we keep giving the ball away cheaply seems to be a trademark of our national teams.

are those coaches not suppose to work on those aspect of the game during training camps?

what exactly do they work on at those camps.

cant we play some games against the stronger clubs in Canada and make sure that we actually have some kind of a possesion game and keep the ball and pass it with purpose before we waste those precious international games against high calibre opposition that only force us to retreat in a defensive shell that does nothing to improve our ability to play a total football and by the time we face average level teams we dont seems to know what to do with the ball except to keep kicking it aimlessly forward even when we are allowed the initiative to attack and be creative

when it comes to open play Canadians national teams are simply clueless.

I think we really need to increase the calibre of our coaching at the youth level. After what I saw in the Jamaica game I don't feel comfortable with Hart as our U-17 coach. These players deserve top notch, well qualified coaches even at the youth level. Hart has very little qualification for the post other than being a NTC coach. Others have posted lists of coaches with extensive experience in big clubs and federations as both men's and youth coaches who have immigrated to Canada. Even just looking at some of these coaches already in Canada I think we could get much better qualified people.

Loyola - T&T XI was a poke. This sets you off every time. Certainly they are minnows and are not even worth the time to dress for the match. Oh yes, look at all the other competition they faced over the past year. Results very from average to poor. How much money was spent arranging for these matches? Having NZ come over to the BC interior was great, but the second game was a farce. I, admittedly, don't keep count of all the scores from these matches, but aside from the aforementioned 2nd NZ match, how many did they win? A couple? I am sure that greater opportunities to play El Salvador, Honduras, et al would know doubt be a boon toward the qualifiers, but what is likely of that happening outside a tournament format.

The... point...I...am...making... is... that...the...US U17... squad...offers...us...the...best...all-round...competition...to...improve...prior....to CONCACAF...qualifications. A few more matches against the US would be the best bet for improvement prior to qual'n. Five spots out of, what, 9 teams? Why not go head-to-head with a certain qualifier. I'm sure Mexico are not exactly putting us on their calendar.

Previous matches over the past yr are, admittedly, great experiences, but not a barometer for getting thru this qual'n phase.

Obviously, the US U17s either have poor finishing and/or our defensive posture forced poor shots. I wish we could see them. I'll talk to one of the Dads whose son was down there. Stay tuned.

Message boards are a means of offering news and opinions. Rebuttals are expected and warranted. No rose-coloured glasses.

Archived