FIFA is thinking about compensation to clubs?

argh1

Honestly, I can't see how the current program is legal. It's ridicules. The only argument FIFA can bring to the table which might make any sense is that players don't have to play international football. It's voluntary.

FIFA can require players to have certain types of insurance in order to play but how can they make a blanket law requiring player clubs (a third party) to fill this requirement and it be legal anywhere? It's crazy.

Compensating the clubs for loss of player doesn't make any sense to me either. As far as I'm concearned international football is an extra curricular, voluntary activity. Same as if the player spent the weekend mountain biking in the Alps or pub crawling in Glasgow. Insurances are available, and FIFA is absolutely right in requiring participants in it's events to have certain levels of coverage, but it's between the player and his club to work out who covers those costs.

If the national associations and FIFA want to offer some sort of insurance subsidy in order to incourage player participation in international football, then great. That sounds absolutely fair to me. And I think they have to. Seems like they're over a pretty deep barrel on this one. At least to me.

Sure, but I think that's more a tool to use against clubs, not a weapon targeting the respective players. A sort of "injured" clause intended to provide the players with some leverage against clubs hostile to sharing players for international duty.

What federation is ever going to ask FIFA to force a club not to play a player (for X timeframe, week or whatever) who's refused international duty unless that player consents? Only a federation which wants that player to retire from international duty.

Archived