CBC Aquires FIFA and CSA Rights

thepatriot

quote:Originally posted by KAS

In a article in the Saturday Star (Sports section), it was announced that the CBC will be airing atleast 20 (possibly more) of the 52 game U-20 tournament - including all of Canada's games of course. This sounds good to me. The side-deal with the other network is for broadcasting games in Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian.

This is a good deal because not only does the CBC have a greater reach across Canada, it also has much greater resources than the cable channels - such as sending massive crews overseas for the olympics to broadcast onsite - which should mean higher production values.

Didn't we get all the U19 games in 2002?

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

I am still questioning the deal, if indeed TLN is their partner it won't be good because it will reached to a limited audience as it is a digital carrier. Well I hope they don't carry it on Country Canada (ala Curling ) and piss every Canadian off!

They figure that by the time the World Cup rolls around, they'll have moved enough of the channels to force people to buy digital cable.

They've move TLN, The Golf Channel, and CNBC and replaced the all with movie channels.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Didn't we get all the U19 games in 2002?

Are you talking about the Women's U-19 in Edmonton? I don't know how many games were televised (I doubt all of them), but that was a much smaller tournament. If the CBC does *atleast* (could be more) 20 games of the 2007 U-20 tournament, then I will be very happy. I have a feeling though, that alot more games than that will be shown between the CBC and its' partners, with all the big games on the CBC main network. Just my hunch.

Here is what I just got from www.soccertv.com. Care to read if you must :)

CBC/SRC secures Canadian rights to FIFA events through 2014

Updated September 17, 2006

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)/Societe Radio-Canada (SRC) has secured Canadian multimedia rights (TV, radio, Internet, mobile devices), in ALL languages , to several FIFA events including the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cup, 2007 and 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup, and the 2007 FIFA Youth World Cup for men under the age of 20.

CBC/SRC will serve as the host broadcaster of the 2007 FIFA Youth World Cup.

CBC/SRC has also announced that TeleLatino Networks will partner with CBC/SRC to present FIFA events in Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese.

So it looks like TLN will be the carrier of games in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. I wonder what is going to happen now to the 2007 Copa America. I hope TLN will try to get the rights to it!!!

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)/Societe Radio-Canada (SRC) has secured Canadian multimedia rights (TV, radio, Internet, mobile devices), in ALL languages , to several FIFA events including the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cup, 2007 and 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup, and the 2007 FIFA Youth World Cup for men under the age of 20.

CBC/SRC has also announced that TeleLatino Networks will partner with CBC/SRC to present FIFA events in Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese.

So it looks like TLN will be the carrier of games in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese. I wonder what is going to happen now to the 2007 Copa America. I hope TLN will try to get the rights to it!!!

It is too bad that Shaw moved TLN to digital a year ago!

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

What about the women's U20 World Championship in 2008 in Chile?

I don't need a digital box for TLN, and I think most people in T.O. don't as well. But what's the big deal? It's only a couple of bucks extra. If you can't afford it permanently, you rent a box from your cable provider for the games, and then return it once they finish.

An opinion on the CBC deal, and some solid TV numbers for last weekend's second-rate EPL matches.

Truth & Rumours

Sports Column

CBC's big-money kick at World Cup soccer is bold, but risky

WILLIAM HOUSTON

1088 words

19 September 2006

The Globe and Mail

S3

English

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

You could call it Nancy Lee's secret mission to Germany.

While network executives were attending the National Hockey League awards show in June, Lee was missing, despite her position as head of CBC Sports.

Lee says she was absent for personal reasons.

But right around that time she was in Germany negotiating the massive World Cup broadcast-rights deal that was announced Friday.

It is questionable, to say the least, that the CBC would fork over close to $27-million, in real money plus goods and services, to the Fédération Internationale de Football Association for the 2010 and 2014 World Cup of soccer tournaments, as well as additional events.

But there is no disputing Lee's role in closing the deal, even if dollars, not timing, made the difference.

After losing the 2010 and 2012 Olympics to the Bell Globemedia-Rogers Media group, after the humiliation of the curling fiasco (CBC rights were aborted and subsequently lost to Globemedia's TSN all-sports network), and amid speculation that CBC Sports could lose its NHL rights, and, therefore, have no reason to exist, the network needed a win badly.

So, for reasons that also included network morale as well as the status of CBC Sports in the marketplace, not to mention the hubris that motivates TV executives, the deal was done.

But at what cost?

The CBC's future is uncharted. It could become a commercial-free network. The role of sports is unclear.

Nevertheless, the CBC went substantially higher than the Globemedia-Rogers bid of $21-million, which was high as that group felt it could go to make a buck. (Bell Globemedia also owns the CTV network and The Globe and Mail.)

The goods-and-services aspect of both bids pertained to the $5-million it will cost to produce the host broadcast feed of next year's under-20 men's World Cup tournament in Canada, where games will be played in Victoria, Burnaby, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto.

The CBC may have estimated its cost of producing the under-20 host broadcast to be lower than that of Globemedia-Rogers, because of its substantial resources across the country.

But will the CBC break even? Lee wouldn't comment.

That's fair enough, but Canadian taxpayers should not be required to subsidize the CBC's adventure into soccer.

The rule at the network, in the past, has been that losing money was acceptable only for the coverage of Canadian amateur sport.

But the World Cup is not amateur and unlikely to involve a Canadian team any time soon, although the lesser FIFA tournaments acquired by the CBC are amateur and will include some Canadian participation.

Another issue is World Cup sponsorship. They're problematic, because of the prohibition by FIFA of commercial content during live-game coverage.

Still, Lee insists the CBC made a responsible bid.

It was certainly aggressive, but if pride trumped common sense, it was made for the wrong reasons.

World Cup TV

Lee says the CBC plans to give the men's and women's World Cups, as well as the 2007 under-20 men's event in Canada, full coverage.

For the men's World Cup, that will mean putting every game on the air. But will every game be carried live?

Lee says the CBC is open to aligning with a potential cable partner. “But the business case has to make sense,” she said.

The CBC will need a partner if it plans to air every World Cup game live, because some games are scheduled concurrently. And given that live coverage from South Africa in 2010 will be shown during the day in Canada, prime-time repeats will be important.

Globemedia and Rogers handled the 2006 World Cup schedule from Germany effectively by providing full live coverage, plus multiple repeats.

The CBC will broadcast game telecasts on its English and French networks. Telelatino will provide coverage in additional languages.

The deal includes radio, on-line, mobile telephone and video-on-demand rights. Secondary FIFA content, such as under-17 tournaments and beach soccer, will end up on the CBC's Sports Saturday.

As well, the CBC will produce an annual Soccer Day in Canada, celebrating the game's grassroots, and a soccer magazine show.

“We told FIFA that we really want to support and grow the sport in this country,” Lee said.

Weekend leader

The CBC drew 508,000 viewers for its first hour of Hockey, A People's History, on Sunday. The audience grew to 563,000 for the second hour. Not great, but okay for a documentary series.

The most watched live-sports telecast on the weekend? TSN's Canadian Football League telecast of the Edmonton Eskimos at the Hamilton Tiger-Cats drew 482,000.

TSN's telecast of NBC's Sunday Night Football (Washington Redskins-Dallas Cowboys) had 314,000 viewers. The rule of thumb for estimating the audience for a simulcast is to double the domestic number. That would bring the number to 628,000 viewers.

Preseason TV

NHL Network will air 11 preseason games, starting tonight with the Ottawa Senators playing the Pittsburgh Penguins, followed by Dallas Stars at Colorado Avalanche.

whouston@globeandmail.com

Rating the weekend

EVENT NETWORK VIEWERS SKINNY

Friday

Golf. 84 Lumber Classic. TSN 62,000 Below par for second round.

Football. Blue Bombers-Stampeders. TSN 415,000 Above the TSN average of 346,000.

Baseball. Devil Rays-Jays. Sportsnet 411,000 Strong audience considering Jays out of it.

Saturday

Soccer. Charlton-Portsmouth. Sportsnet 69,000 Largest this season for early game.

Soccer. Bolton-Middlesbrough. Sportsnet 112,000 Solid.

Soccer. Watford-Aston Villa. Sportsnet 129,000 Second highest in 2006.

Golf. 84 Lumber Classic. TSN 77,000 So-so for third round.

Baseball. Devil Rays-Jays. Sportsnet 299,000 Interest dwindling.

Football. Eskimos-Ticats. TSN 482,000 TSN's second highest CFL audience of season.

Equestrian. CN International. CBC 186,000 Okay for a niche sport.

Football. Alouettes-Lions. CBC 457,000 Well above CBC averages of 395,000.

Sunday

Auto racing. Sylvania 300, NASCAR. TSN 431,000 Up against NFL and Jays, huge.

Golf. 84 Lumber Classic. TSN 248,000 Good number for final round.

Baseball. Devil Rays-Jays. Sportsnet 235,000 Considering the competition, not bad.

Football. Redskins-Cowboys. TSN 314,000 Good number.

Baseball. Red Sox-Yankees. Sportsnet 193,000 One of Sportsnet's highest MLB audiences.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

As well, the CBC will produce an annual Soccer Day in Canada, celebrating the game's grassroots, and a soccer magazine show.

“We told FIFA that we really want to support and grow the sport in this country,” Lee said.

This part is new, and it sounds great! Considering the huge success of "Hockey Day in Canada", giving soccer that kind of exposure will be fantastic. It will be especially good if critics of how things are currently done are given air time like the "what's wrong with the game" discussions on hockey. These things do lead to changes. If the soccer magazine show is a weekly, and shown across the entire network at a good time, then that is real progress.

Considering that this is a Globe article about how their company lost a bid to the CBC (and they're always harping about taxpayers money competing with the private sector - especially in sports), this piece is ALMOST balanced. The truth is that the private networks are rarely as good as the CBC when it comes to producing things - everything is always done on the cheap to increase profits. The CBC has greater resources and easily the widest reach - exactly what soccer needs in this country.

CanadaKicks Podcast 09.22.06

Friday, 22 September 2006

This weeks podcast has interviews with David Masse of CBC Sports talking about CBC's acquisition of the World Cup rights until 2014, the two head coaches of the Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact set up this weekends all-Canadian USL semi-final, Alf De Blasis of TLN joins us to talk about the Italian soccer scene and Howard Bloom of SportsBusinessNews.com talks about where soccer in North America could be in 10 to 15 years. Go to www.canadakicks.com to listen.

Archived