CBC Aquires FIFA and CSA Rights

thepatriot

Beyond calling Jim Brennan to Toronto FC a couple of months ago.....how about this one!

CBC has aquired the rights to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups. Included in that package is the 2007 FIFA Under 20 World Cup and the rights to all Canadian National teams. The CSA no longer sells their own rights, FIFA is now responsible and those rights were also included in the World Cup package.

Could be a good news/bad news situation. Good news is that more people watch CBC than Sportsnet (generally speaking), as it has a farther reach & is available to those who don't have cable. This means more exposure for our national teams.

The downside of this is, possibly, that you never know, we might get fewer games because we no longer have the game on a network specifically dedicated to sports.

Maybe they will pass on the rights of certain national team games of interest (like the Gold Cup) to one of the sports networks? That would be preferrable than not seeing it at all.

CBC/Radio-Canada to broadcast 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cup of soccer

OTTAWA, Sept. 15 /CNW Telbec/ - CBC/Radio-Canada announced today an

agreement with The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA),

for the broadcast rights to a comprehensive soccer programming package from

2007 through 2014, including the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa and the

2014 FIFA World Cup.

"A central tenet of CBC/Radio-Canada's mandate is the sharing of major

national and international events," said CBC/Radio-Canada President and CEO,

Robert Rabinovitch. "Soccer is a game that touches new Canadians and old, it

touches all cultures and all communities. It is one of the most popular sports

in Canada, both to watch and to play. We're looking forward to helping the

continued growth of the game across the country. As Canada's national public

broadcaster, CBC/Radio-Canada is in the best position to bring high-quality

coverage of FIFA championship events to the broadest possible audience."

"Football is enjoying an upsurge in popularity in Canada and it is

therefore only fitting that we have the best platform to reach the widest

possible audience across the nation," said FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter.

"CBC/Radio-Canada is the ideal partner for us not only in terms of

geographical reach but also due to its strong commitment to the world's most

cherished sport."

"This is truly a momentous day, an historic day for all of Soccer in

Canada," said Kevan Pipe, Chief Operating Officer, Canadian Soccer

Association. "To have CBC/Radio-Canada partner with FIFA and The Canadian

Soccer Association for the next eight years will take the beautiful game to an

even higher level in our country. Offering complete bilingual services to all

residents of Canada gives us an opportunity we have never before experienced.

We salute FIFA for their decision and CBC/Radio-Canada for their submission

and we look forward to a most exciting future beginning with the FIFA U-20

World Cup Canada 2007 next summer. Truly, an historic day!"

The broadcast package also includes the FIFA Men's U-20 World Cup, taking

place in Victoria, Burnaby, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto in July

2007. CBC/Radio-Canada will act as host broadcaster for this event, featuring

the most talented under-20 players from around the globe. Additional events in

the package include the FIFA Women's World Cup in China 2007, and the FIFA

Women's World Cup in 2011.

The agreement includes rights for all CBC/Radio-Canada platforms,

including its eight national radio and television networks, full-service

websites, and regional stations and affiliates. As well, CBC/Radio-Canada will

be able to make FIFA games available for viewing on mobile phones and through

video-on-demand - ensuring that Canadians everywhere have unparalleled access

to these thrilling events as they unfold. CBC/Radio-Canada is also very

pleased to have Telelatino as a broadcast partner.

Full broadcast schedules and programming details will be made available

as these events enter into our broadcast schedule.

<<

SOCCER ON CBC/RADIO-CANADA 2007 - 2014

--------------------------------------

Broadcast schedules to be determined

2007 FIFA Women's World Cup (China) 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup

2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup (Canada) 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup

2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup (Korea) 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup

2007 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2011 FIFA Beach Soccer W.C

2008 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup 2012 FIFA U-17 Women's W.C.

2008 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2012 FIFA U-20 Women's W.C.

2008 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2012 FIFA Beach Soccer W.C.

2008 FIFA Futsal World Cup 2012 FIFA Futsal World Cup

2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup

2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup

2009 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2013 FIFA Beach Soccer W.C.

2009 FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup

(South Africa)

2010 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup 2014 FIFA U-17 Women's W.C.

2010 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup 2014 FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup

2010 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2014 FIFA U-20 Women's W.C.

2010 FIFA World Cup (South Africa) 2014 FIFA World Cup

quote:Originally posted by wpgscrfan

This is bad news. I hope the CBC does the right thing and contracts BBC broadcasts rather than bringing back Steve Armitage and that goofy Scottish dude they had in Mexico '86 broadcasts.

In 2002, they had the international feed. In '86, they went with locals for the Canada games, don't know about the others.

Although I did enjoy the "international" commentator for NI-Canada, I like to hear Canadians commenting when it's the *Canadian* national team.

Amazing! CBC pulled off the coup of the year! This is great. Although I loved the TSN/Rogers sportsnet coverage of the past WC being from Canada, I am sure CBC will do a great job showing the next world cup.

This is great for CBC considering they lost the 2010 and 2012 olympics to CTV, Rogers sportsnet and TSN.

However, I am not all convinced this is 100% signed sealed and deliverd. I will bet another English language Candian cable company will come on side via a sub contract. Although TLN is a partner in this new deal, I think TLN's main focus will be to show the spanish version of the games. I dont think either TSN or Rogers will be out of the picture yet. Maybe The Score could be in the picture to. I think CBC will hopefully have learned thier lesson with the curling debacle (showing the Brier and Scott Tournament of Hearts games on CBC's digital channel called Country Canada) not to show plenty of the WC games on a remote digital channel that only a few can only access at this time. Soccer fans who dont have access to digital cable could be furious if CBC does show WC games on Country Canada

With regards to CBC possibly getting the rights to the Canadian Soccer team, I think their will have to be some kind of partnership with a cable channel (i.e. Telelatino, The Score) for this to work, unless, CBC is going to give up on the rights to NHL's Hockey night in Canada when the rights go up for the NHL, after the 2006-07 season.

Could Canada's people's network be doing a changing of the guard with regards to sporting programming?

Let's just hope they take the BBC feed for the WC and not the generic host broadcaster (although I like the fantastic commentary of Gary Bloom though! :)

--UPDATE FROM CSA (Eric Lamoureux)--

Email I Sent:

Hello,

I am seeking confirmation as to whether the new TV deal reached with

the CBC extends to rights to televise Canadian Men's National Team

Friendly matches and competitions such as the Gold Cup, and World Cup

Qualifying matches.

Thank you

Response:

Not just yet anyway - but getting close.

I would answer with the following

The CSA has had on-going discussions

with the CBC/Radio-Canada on broadcasting rights pertaining to Canadian National soccer team events.

This accord between the CBC/Radio-Canada and FIFA paves the way for the CSA and the CBC/Radio-Canada to commence more serious discussions in means of achieving a positive agreement.

The CSA is excited about the possibility of a partnership with the CBC in means of promoting canadian soccer accross the country in both official languages.

We look forward to conclude these discussions very soon.

Cheers

Eric

Go to Top of Page

quote:Originally posted by Tayport

Where in the story does it say that the deal includes the rights to national team matches? This looks like a deal with FIFA not with the CSA even though the CSA spokesperson is quoted.

Well, I guess BrennanFan answered that question. Sort of.

My take on the 1st read was the same. So what's this got to do with international friendlys, WCQs and the Gold Cup? The only time we ever see Canada play? Any time you add another broadcaster to the interested-in-Canadian-football list it has to be a good thing but the CBC is a funny animal these days so who knows what all this will amount to, good or bad.

If the CBC is looking at out and out replacing SportsNet as host broadcaster for CSA events, and not just grabbing the FIFA signature tourneys or brokering those rights on to other parties I think that this could all come off very well. Certainly couldn't do a worse job than SportsNet, and as mentioned the CBC has a lot of avenues for presenting matches.

The CSA seems to be benefiting from their MLSE relationship. Or maybe I'm giving credit to the wrong parties but there seems to be a long overdue managerial maturing over there. Maybe I'm jinxing myself but in that light I hope this bodes well for negotiations. Whatever, if any, contractual conditions the CSA attached to their agreements with SportsNet they were a complete disaster.

Considering that the mothercorp lost the Olympic TV Rights to Bell Globemedia-Rogers Media consortium is probably sweet revenge for them. But I have very deep questions about this deal.

I am not 100% sold on this deal and it is my understanding it was FIFA, not the CSA that was involved in the TV deal. I am concerned that CBC is going to pull the same crap like the did when they had the Curling rights, where most of the games were on their digital channel Country Canada which upset alot of people because most people don't have digital cable.

CBC has secured TLN as a partner and unfortunately they are a digital channel as well. I was hoping the mothercorp would sell some games to TSN/Sportsnet or The Score. Only time will tell. All I can say this, CBC may want to put most of its games on the main channel and enjoy this small victory because they are going to shortly lose the HNIC rights to CTV shortly.

This is good news for me. The CBC broadcasts of World Cup Soccer in the past has attracted

more mainstream attention than most of the efforts of TSN and Sportsnet. Even if the CBC

subcontracts certain games of the MNT, it will still show the main event games like the U20s

and perhaps some matches with Toronto FC. And digital channels can now purchase some games from

the CBC, without infringing on their soccer budgets (eg. Sportsnet having to sacrifice MNT games

in lieu of broadcasting Women's U20 friendlies,etc.). CBC can also garner more sponsors for

advertising, and also provide more exposure for the game. CBC has more clout and better facilities.

Now CBC can corner the market for two of Canada's most popular sports, soccer and hockey.

For us, hooray, but let's wait for the details.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Now CBC can corner the market for two of Canada's most popular sports, soccer and hockey.

Unless CBC comes up with more than $1.4 billion, NHL hockey will be moving to CTV/TSN after the 2007-2008 season.

In a article in the Saturday Star (Sports section), it was announced that the CBC will be airing atleast 20 (possibly more) of the 52 game U-20 tournament - including all of Canada's games of course. This sounds good to me. The side-deal with the other network is for broadcasting games in Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian.

This is a good deal because not only does the CBC have a greater reach across Canada, it also has much greater resources than the cable channels - such as sending massive crews overseas for the olympics to broadcast onsite - which should mean higher production values.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

In a article in the Saturday Star (Sports section), it was announced that the CBC will be airing atleast 20 (possibly more) of the 52 game U-20 tournament - including all of Canada's games of course. This sounds good to me. The side-deal with the other network is for broadcasting games in Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian.

This is a good deal because not only does the CBC have a greater reach across Canada, it also has much greater resources than the cable channels - such as sending massive crews overseas for the olympics to broadcast onsite - which should mean higher production values.

I am still questioning the deal, if indeed TLN is their partner it won't be good because it will reached to a limited audience as it is a digital carrier. Well I hope they don't carry it on Country Canada (ala Curling ) and piss every Canadian off!

I realize some of you are concerned, but I would urge you to not get too stressed out about this, especially as the 2010 World Cup is four years away.

Also, I can't go into a great amount of detail, but you can all rest easy: all 64 games will be readily availabe live as they happpen.

John F. Molinaro

CBC Sports Online

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

I am still questioning the deal, if indeed TLN is their partner it won't be good because it will reached to a limited audience as it is a digital carrier. Well I hope they don't carry it on Country Canada (ala Curling ) and piss every Canadian off!

Archived