Why women shouldn't be refs.

Elias

Guest Jeffery S.

As someone commenting the video says, it was a goal. It went in, hit the back of the net, then bounced back and slipped out at the netting was loose. The attacking players celebrated and headed back to their end. Look again, guys.

The reason the ball-boy (or perhaps a guy warming up, a player) put it back in is because it HAD gone in. As least it does look that way.

Another reason why women should be refs, they can see the difference between a shot going wide and one going in. Not like the previous posters. The linesman did not correctly check the net though, and that would be the only reason for some kind of sanction.

Be noble Elias and change the title of this thread.

Yes I paused it several times while watching it and it does appear like the ball went into the net and came out through a whole in the netting which the ballboy points out several times. If this is the case it is actually very good referreeing. Plus, the ref is pretty cute so I have to give her the benefit of the doubt:D. What division are these teams in in Brazil as it doesn't look like a very high level of soccer?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Be noble Elias and change the title of this thread.

It's a joke. If anybody should be banned, it should be CONCACAF refs.

Where do you guys see them celebrating? They turn around, put their heads down, and start running up the field. And then you can sort of see a couple of the players stop and turn as they expect a goal kick.

As for the ball, it's impossible that it went in. It hits the back post on the outside, then hits the net, and rolls to the right. If it was in, what did it hit that made it roll to the right? If it was in, the ball would have rolled into the middle of the net.

It looks like the shooter put his hands to his face, like the usual "what did I just miss". Plus the shooter was 5 yards from the net, I'm sure he would have seen it go in.

If that was the attacking team 'celebrating' then they must be robots. Not one person raised their hands. In fact, both teams immediately turned around as if to expect a goal kick.

As for whether the ball went in, the angle of the shot and the quality of the video is far too poor to properly judge. The only way to tell is by judging by the players' reactions, which, as Elias correctly pointed out, was that of a ball gone just wide.

When watching live it is hard to tell but when I pause the video at the crucial times the ball certainly looks in the net to me. It seems to take a funny bounce off the back post which makes it go right. I can't say from the video that I am 100% sure but I would say I am 75% sure it went in. There is not doubt whatsoever that there is a hole in the netting as the ballboy shows this to the ref. Whether the atacking team celebrates or not is immaterial, it bounced out so fast they may not have realized it went in. The only important thing is whether the ref saw it go in or not.

the ball just misses the net hits the right post bounces into netting then rolls to the right... the ball boy is simply trying to cover his own ass and u can see him trying to push a ball under the netting. that team got screwed. Noone was celebrating, not the teams not the fans noone.

Guest Jeffery S.

Geez. Now I am beginning to doubt a bit, I have repeated it a few times and it seems to go out, by the post, hits the back post and the netting. So you are right guys.

The announcer says the "remate va fora", or something like that: the shot goes wide, in Portuguese.

The other question is whether the ref thought the goalkeeper had knocked it into his own goal by mistake on the goal kick. When it is out of bounds, it is not in play, and only comes back into play when the keeper strikes it with his foot. If he were to accidently kick it into his own net after placing it without moving for the goal kick, would that be a goal? Isn't it the case that if the ball is not hit hard enough to go out of the 18 yard box it is not in play and the goal kick would have to be retaken? I wonder then, if the ref thought this had happened.

Women should definitely not be refs, sad to say but we'll just have to live without them.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

When watching live it is hard to tell but when I pause the video at the crucial times the ball certainly looks in the net to me. It seems to take a funny bounce off the back post which makes it go right. I can't say from the video that I am 100% sure but I would say I am 75% sure it went in. There is not doubt whatsoever that there is a hole in the netting as the ballboy shows this to the ref. Whether the atacking team celebrates or not is immaterial, it bounced out so fast they may not have realized it went in. The only important thing is whether the ref saw it go in or not.

I'm not sure now. Are you and Jeffrey joking or serious??

Pause the video at the time the ball passes in front of the goalpost. You'll notice that you can always see the entire ball, ergo the ball must have passed in front of the post. No goal.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I am 50% serious and the rest something else. It was not a goal. It also got replayed on a few national tv stations in Spain, I saw it twice yesterday midday, and neither commentator mentioned the ref was a woman.

I'm not sure now. Are you and Jeffrey joking or serious??

Pause the video at the time the ball passes in front of the goalpost. You'll notice that you can always see the entire ball, ergo the ball must have passed in front of the post. No goal.

To put things into a little more perspective, this tournament would probably be comparable to something like an Ontario Cup competition in Canada. They may call these teams professional teams but really they are nothing more than like senior mens teams in Canada in city leagues. Players may get paid something but not much. I am actually quite surprised that there was TV at this game. It has to be a gov't channel or a cable channel.

I can't imagine that referees get paid much for these games. Certainly less than referees here that referee Ontario Cup games because there is little or no money in the system at this level in Brazil. Recruitment of referees is an issue that we share with Brazil except that they need so many more than we do and need to bring them on board without the available cash for training and cash incentives that the Canadian system can use. Add to that the level of emotion that surrounds the game in Brazil and one wonders why anyone would choose to be a referee or linesman.

As a side note, I posted a story in 2004 about Atletico Sorocaba when it found itself in the top level of the State Championship. I believe they even made it on FSWC when they played Sao Paulo FC and were experiencing some surprising success. It was that game that marked the peak of their rise. Since then, they fell. In 2005, they were relegated to the second level of the State Championship and did not qualify for the Series C of the Brazilian League. It seems they continue to sink. Imagine going from playing in the Morumbi Stadium against one of the top clubs in the world on international TV in 2004 to being victimized by poor refereeing in a regional tournament in two years.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

To put things into a little more perspective, this tournament would probably be comparable to something like an Ontario Cup competition in Canada. They may call these teams professional teams but really they are nothing more than like senior mens teams in Canada in city leagues. Players may get paid something but not much.

So that would imply that its comparable to something like MLS, yeah? I even saw about a dozen fans behind the goal. [^]

• 10 months later...

Archived