Marcina

Jason

I haven't really heard Alen Marcina's name brought up when it comes to potential players for Toronto FC. I think he would be a great choice as he has scored a lot of goals in Puerto Rico this year. I haven't checked closely but I think is the highest scoring Canadian in USL Div 1 this year.

Just thought I'd throw the name out there for comments...

Jason

quote:Originally posted by masster

I don't know about that. Would you consider Jason Jordan an MLS player because he led the USL in scoring 2 years ago? It is hard to say. Unless we see them compete against each other in a US Open Cup or an Open Canada Cup its difficult to compare.

I think it's foolish for an expansion club to not consider a top goal scorer even if they were in lower league. If a NHL expansion team was starting next year, wouldn't it be a good idea for them to give a tryout to one of the top AHL scorers? This is even moreso the case regarding Marcina when the MLS club will require Canadian content.

If Jordan was coming off the same type of year he had in 2005, I would also say that he would be worthy of a MLS tryout. But the bottom line to me is that the MLS club starts playing next year. Jordan has done nothing this year because of injury, while Marcina has burned up Div. 1. It doesn't hurt to give either of these guys a trial, but if I had to pick between them, Marcina would be my pick. Since I have not heard his name mentioned in the numerous Toronto FC threads, I thought I'd bring him up.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

IIRC, Jordan was offered a spot in MLS (KC or Colorado). They just couldn't offer enough money to make a move worthwhile to Jason.

I remember a similar story regarding Carl Fletcher -- he said he turned down a MLS position because he could make more in the A-League. With Canadian content being more important to a Toronto MLS club, I wonder if they will be offering sufficient $$$ to convince players to make the leap.

Jason

Archived