News Release from the CSL (Serbia v Croatia)

soccerman2

Title bid not for political reasons:

Toronto Croatia executive

STARTS WITH SERBIAN GAME THURSDAY

TORONTO – Wednesday, September 6 - If ever Toronto Croatia wants to win the CSL championship, it is now.

The team that won the North American championship in 1976 under the banner of Metros-Croatia, is celebrating 50 years in Canadian soccer.

And they’re on a high at the moment after winning the 43rd North American Croatian championship defeating Hrvatski Orlovi of Milwaukee by a 2-0 score at Coral Springs, Florida last weekend.

But the real achievement would be the CSL title and to do that they need to take care of

Serbian White Eagles and their outstanding unbeaten record in the League’s inaugural International Division season.

Pino Jazbec, an executive in the Toronto Croatia club, admits his team has high hopes of taking the title, but says it’s not for political reasons.

“We are all conscious of the recent history involving these two peoples, but that was in a far away place and in the past. We in Canada have strong rivalry on the soccer field, always have and always will, and we want to win these games for that reason,” he said, referring to upcoming regular season matches that start with the first game at Lamport Stadium on Thursday night.

On the Serbian side, the team that brought legendary former World Cup player Dragoslav Sekularac and nine professionals from that country in an effort to win this year’s championship, has other ideas. “Let’s face it, our record speaks for itself and we’re going to be awfully disappointed if we don’t win at least two of the three league games. We expect to get off on the right foot Thursday night,” said Eagles’ general manager Ken Stanojevich.

It’s Toronto Croatia vs. Serbian White Eagles at Lamport Stadium in Toronto, the first time these two teams have met in 30 years. It’s on Thursday, September 7, a 7.30 p.m. kickoff, the first of three regular season games as the two teams bid for CSL honours. The other games are next Monday night, September 11 at Brian Timmis Stadium in Hamilton, an 8 p.m. start, and Sunday, September 24 back at Lamport Stadium, a 7 p.m. kickoff.

Please refer: Stan Adamson, Canadian Soccer League, The Soccer Centre, 7601 Martin Grove Rd., Vaughan, Ont

L4L 9E4 Tel: 905 856-5439 e-mail: csl@canadiansoccerleague.ca www.canadiansoccerleague.ca

This match between Toronto Catholic Serbs and Serbian White Seagulls should be interesting on and off the field.

There seems to be a buzz even among Hamilton Yugos. Hopefully there's a good crowd but nothing stupid happens.

Ideally they also meet in the playoff final so there can be a half-decent crowd and maybe some publicity for the CSL. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

On a Hamilton Croatian forum, somebody posted they should take an Argentinian flag and a sign saying 6-0, which I thought was funny.

I think all this ethnic stuff in a domestic Canadian league is crap. Leave all that baggage behind in Croatia and Serbia or whatever. They all came to Canada for a reason, many to escape all that. Don't try to re-create the old place with all its ethnic and national tensions here in Canada. That's why I have no interest whatsoever in ethnic leagues and the CSL should not be exploiting it for crass financial reasons. I am also a landed immigrant but I don't constantly wave the flag of the country of my birth or try to build a microcosm of the old country for myself in Canada. I am now just Canadian, not a hyphenated Canadian and proudly so.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I think all this ethnic stuff in a domestic Canadian league is crap... They all came to Canada for a reason, many to escape all that. Don't try to re-create the old place with all its ethnic and national tensions here in Canada. That's why I have no interest whatsoever in ethnic leagues and the CSL should not be exploiting it for crass financial reasons. I am also a landed immigrant but I don't constantly wave the flag of the country of my birth or try to build a microcosm of the old country for myself in Canada. I am now just Canadian, not a hyphenated Canadian and proudly so.

I know what you mean, I used to feel that way until my Italian born wife sensitized me to what life in Canada is like to someone who doesn't speak English well. Her father was a teacher in Calabria, and moved here when he was in his early 30's. The only jobs he could get were hard and dirty construction labour jobs, he got treated like crap because he didn't speak English well. He usually got assigned to the crappy tasks, whereas immigrants from the British Isles became foremen, even though they were unqualified for the jobs. No-one would give him a chance as a teacher or any other white collar job. He's glad that he was allowed to move to Canada, but he's not happy that he got treated so shabbily. He'll continue to identify himself as Italian Canadian because he feels he wasn't treated fairly.

Well certainly communication facility is critical to any supervisory position and may on occasion trump pure technical ability. As an employer I have to take English ability into account when hiring or promoting people. When I immigrated, facility in either English or French at the least to conversational level was a requirement and should still be. Without it we end up with ghettos of immigrants living as if they had never immigrated to another country and who never get anywhere near assimilating into Canadian society. Anyway, this is a digression. Ethnic teams in any domestic league in Canada are a bad idea for a whole host of reasons.

As for passion, one doesn't need to whip up nationalism for a foreign country in order to be passionate about a game played at the domestic Canadian level. Indeed whipping up inter-ethnic passions amongst immigrants for the sake of sport at a local league level or worse, financial gain, is destructive to the larger Canadian community. To do so is irresponsible especially when it involves groups that have a long history of inter-ethnic violence. This is Canada not the FIFA World Cup.

I am sure you're not the only one but that's just too bad.

I am also sure it isn't the only thing you and I would disagree on.

Since you're 100% in disagreement you don't believe a good communication facility is essential for effective people management I presume. I am relieved you will never be responsible for appointing my supervisor.

Archived