Jacob Lensky to Feyenoord.

SCF08

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

That was Sebastian Pardo...:( Damn Turks..

Feyenoord is 1-0 up..!! Van Hooijdonk with a shot from 40 metres in the centre circle..:D

Yeah those Galatasaray fans are nuts!

So what is Lenskys' jersey number? is he in the middle?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lensky was substitued after 30 mins because of an injury. He was replaced by De Guzman...

The injury is nothing serious but Feyenoord took him off so it wouldnt get worse. Feyenoord youth side beat the strongest Galatasaray side possible with 2-1......I'm extatic..!!

You can read a full report on the match on the Feyenoord site (in English)

http://www.feyenoord.com/pages/newsdetail.aspx?contentcode=20070109Galatasaray_EFES_CUP

Also a pic of the Lensky substitution...

20060109Galatasaray_Efes_Cup_Koeman_Lensky_rh.jpg

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

In 2 minutes time Feyenoord will play in the final of the Efes Cup against Werder Bremen. The match will be broadcasted Live on Eurosport.

Jonathan de Guzman starts in the first XI and Jacob Lensky is on the bench...

any link to an online stream?

found it myself at the eurosport site

mms://event-1-com.eurosport.com/reflector:36105

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Thanks for the link.

Lensky comes on in the 76th minute - "the Canadian international"

He *did* play U20 this year with Canada.

Can someone say *with certainty* for which other country he's eligible? We've heard Slovakia a few times, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Czech grandparent.

A bigger question is this: does he even have euro citizenship? Because if he did, he wouldn't have had to wait until he was 18 to play for the first team (or is that because of the transfer?).

There is a lot of talk about Lensky on the Feyenoord chat lines and mostly nothing but very good.There are references made about feyenoord's Canadian midfield and none of these guys seem to mind at all.There is even talk about Lensky playing for I believe the Chech team.

Anyway it would be more than fantastic and I am more than drooling to think that if Jonathan would elect to play for Canada, this would be amazing to say the least.Edgar,Lensky and Jonathan already household words in the Canadian soccer world and also in the Canadian media world.Can you imagine what these guys will have to do,with that enormous p.r.cloud.

Hey I will be having a huge ball alone to spill all my knowledge to the media never mind who else is doing the talking.I will make sure it will be front page news again and will stay there.

It's funny in my Dutch days it was a big fat no no to support Feyenoord, hey i am from the Hague,their arch ennemie,but I guess that is a little while ago, just as i felt about Ajax when I brought them over here.

I also learned that Lensky tried our for AZ Alkmaar,but for some reason it appeared that Lensky did not like Louis Van Gaal and elected to go to Feyenoord. Well my brother is the president of the AZ supporters club and he was not happy to see Lensky go.Such a small world.

Amazing to think that at the 2007 WYC Canada could boast a team with the likes of:

David Edgar (Newcastle)*

Will Johnson (Heerenveen)*

Jonathan DeGuzman (Feyenoord)*

Jamie Peters (Ipswich)*

Asmir Begovic (Portsmouth FC)

Jacob Lensky (Feyenoord)

Keegan Arye (Hibernian FC)

*The first 4 having scored for their respective clubs first team!

I am confident Lensky will be there, as he has already suited up for Canada.

Who are the best domestic U20 players? Lumley, Haber, Elliott?

For all the gnashing of teeth over Lensky there is no strong indication he will not play for us. The only thing I have heard about him playing for someone else was several years ago his father stated he preferred him to play for Slovakia. However, since then he has played for us and the speculation that he will choose another country is solely based on him turning down a couple of callups. Unlike Street or DeJong he has not to my knowledge participated in any camps or games with another country.

Lensky came on for the last 15 minutes of the Efes final against Bremen on the right side. DeGuz went 90. The game was non-chalant to say the least. But near the end Feyenoord picked it up a bit and Lensky had a touch somewhere in the play leading up to the Charisteas goal. Bremen won 2-1.

The Swedish announcer raved about Jonathan before the game, calling him Feyenoord's "midfield artist" and "the player to watch", that he's only 19 and that Julian plays for Deportivo, etc, etc.... He seemed surprised that Jonathan still hasn't been capped by Canada, but that it surely wouldn't be too long before he was (if only it were that simple...).

Anyway, let's hope Jonathan and Jakob become an inseparable midfield pair.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

For all the gnashing of teeth over Lensky there is no strong indication he will not play for us. The only thing I have heard about him playing for someone else was several years ago his father stated he preferred him to play for Slovakia. However, since then he has played for us and the speculation that he will choose another country is solely based on him turning down a couple of callups. Unlike Street or DeJong he has not to my knowledge participated in any camps or games with another country.

I've been accustomed to such "parents" and from other stuff I read while looking him up, I'd expect his dad to nudge him pretty hard to play for the Czechs the moment he has the chance. Of the two Feyenoord boys, if I were betting, I'd say we have more chance for seeing JDG with Canada.

I thought his father is Slovak though. I haven't seen any concrete proof he could play for the Czechs. In both instances I think there are obstacles for him. The Slovaks don't really offer much of an advantage to Canada, are not qualified for the U20 and probably have less chance of qualifying for the Men's World Cup than we do. The Czechs on the other hand are a top team and they are going to have to want him before he can play for them. Since Lensky has at least played for us in the past I am more hopeful for him than JDG2.

There appears to be GOOD NEWS on the Lensky front. The Vancouver Sun on January 13th had an article on the BC Players that are attending the Florida camp and are in the running for the U20 national team. It is written by Dan Stinson and it mainly refers to Keegan Ayre, Masumi Turnbull, Mike D'Agostino and Alex Elliott. It does clarify some Lensky questions. I couldn't find a link to the article so I'll just type it here:

Vancouver midfielder Jacob Lensky is another potential BC candidate for Canada's final roster. He participated in a December training camp in Florida (?? I don't know if this is true??), but isn't taking part in the current camp because of club commitments with Feyenoord of the Netherlands First Division. He was recently transfered from Scottish Premier League club Glasgow Celtic to Feyenoord.

Later in the article it says:

"Jacob will be back for the series against Scotland," says Mitchell. "I've been following his career in Europe, but we'll see how he plays against Scotland and go from there. We've also pencilled in more international exhibition games in May and June, but our opponents haven't been decided. We hope to play games against teams that have qualified for the tournament, but nothing is finalized yet."

Great news. Lensky seems like a player. He obviously impressed in Portugal, as he played in the last two games and Mitchell seems eager to get him back, as opposed to Gomez who hasn't been asked back as yet.

I also like Mitchell being coy about Lensky. "we'll see how he plays against Scotland".

• 3 months later...
quote:Originally posted by puskas

So will Lensky play for us in the U-20 World Cup? He was absent from the game against Argentina.

Since he has played for the U20's before I'd say there is a chance. Not a huge one, but definetly a chance! :)

I believe he is an attack-minded midfielded, so he would be just what our U20's currently lack. With JDG2 unlikely to show and Johnson a striker playing a little out of position behind the forwards, I'd love to see Lensky suit up for the Red and White this summer. Then our Midfield/Attack could look like this

------------GK---------------

RB-----CB-------CB---------LB

Jackson---Ayre---Lensky----Peters

-----Lombardo-----Johnson------

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

I believe he is an attack-minded midfielded, so he would be just what our U20's currently lack. With JDG2 unlikely to show and Johnson a striker playing a little out of position behind the forwards, I'd love to see Lensky suit up for the Red and White this summer. Then our Midfield/Attack could look like this

I'm not sure why you'd say that. Johnson has been playing all season as a midfielder or wide player with Heerenveen (mostly reserves) and most of his substitute appearances with the senior Heerenveen side were not in a pure striker role. I think he is comfortable as an attacking midfielder and could even develop into a midfield general.

His engine is too good to only play in one half of the field like most strikers do.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Lensky, sure Feyenord played today (lost on aggregate as did Heerenveen) and he may have been needed. However all the articles said that this was the team save Johnson who stayed for his club, no mention af any others staying for their clubs. Besides Johnson has played for Canada many times, there is no doubt about his commitment, Lensky only played the once at that tournament in Portugal and I always thought that had more to do with his desire to be noticed by scouts as he wanted to leave Celtic. I hope tht I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Besides at what point does it become more disruptive to the team to bring in someone new, especially someone reluctant, and oust someone who has been committed to the program for two years. Of course this doesn't apply if the individual is a bona fide star.

This is exactly it. If you were Mitchell and two weeks before the tournament Lensky says that he wants to play. Would you allow him in overlooking the fact that he never took part in Canada's preparations? You may since Lensky is a good player but one can lose credibility like that. What would you do? The Czechs had a similar problem with Nedved when just before the World Cup, he announced he wants to play for the Czechs but never took part in the qualifying. The Czechs included Nedved on their World Cup roster although did not make it out of the group stage (mostly due to injuries to their forwards).

Archived